Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Also if you're totally stumped and can't think of anything you can "take control" and talk about something else instead of answering the question.

For instance if you're in a stress-interview and they ask you your greatest weakness and you give them your prepared answer and then they say, "Okay, give me another weakness," and you're thinking "Oh sh*t," then you could "take control" and say, "Well, nothing is coming immediately to mind, but in general I make it a point to take full advantage of performance reviews with my manager so that I can be mindful of any opportunities to improve my performance....."

Or if they say "Give an example of something that you were willing to handle that others walked away from." And you're totally blanking you could just sort of discuss the general philosophy behind the question and sort of "shift the scope" and be like, "Well in general I like to think that I am someone who does not turn a blind eye when something needs to be taken care of, I can't think of a specific situation where I was the only one willing to handle something, but there have been times when I was in the minority who chose to do something such as the time I volunteered to help...."

This is how I dodge tough questions and I try to make it a seamless sort of transition where I don't totally acknowledge that I'm dodging their question, but I do sort of provide an answer that is still sort of in the spirit of what they're looking for.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good stuff guys, thanks for the feedback. My biggest concern is getting nervous about a question, then psyching myself out because i'm not answering fast enough. I also tend to get red in the face when I get nervous, and i'm sure that doesn't look good to an interviewer.

I was hoping my first interview would be a fairly informal one with a 2nd year, but I found out I am going to be interviewed by the head of MBA admissions, which freaks me out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
which school?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
sujith wrote:
which school?

Eh, I don't really feel comfortable saying right now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
check out the accepted.com question and answers. you can browse by
school. That may help you feel more comfortable about the process.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know you said "what tips besides practicing" but really practicing is crucial, if you have like ten anecdotes about leadership and ethical dilemmas and all that stuff, and you have those anecdotes down perfect, just run through them over and over and over.

Something else you should keep in mind, if you are asked a question that you're not quite sure of how to answer, you can also answer by kind of "thinking out loud."

I was asked at an interview "How do you want to be remembered after you have died?"

And I wasn't quite sure how to approach it because it was an odd question. I was thinking to myself, "Well I guess when I'm dead I'll be most concerned about the family I leave behind," so I said, "Well I hope that my family remembers me as a person who was..." and then I was thinking "Maybe he wants me to say something about how I want to be remembered for amazing work achievements," so then I just kind of moved into that, "And I suppose in a professional context I would like to be remembered for someone who made significant contributions to blah blah blah...."

I guess if I was better prepared for interviews I wouldn't have to use these dodging techniques, but I'm kind of at the stage where I'm saturated with b-school stuff and I'll vomit if I try to make myself practice anymore interviews in the mirror.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb -

best of luck! Relax, tell your story. You know who you are. Look over your admissions essays and resume. Try to take a step back from them and look at them for the first time. If a stranger gave you those essays, what else would you want to know?

Also, be sure to find out what they already know. If they've only seen your resume, you can wax poetic on whatever experience you spoke about in the essays. (And even if they have seen the essays, don't assume they have 'em memorized.)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: First interview tomorrow [#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
I thought I would be cool, calm, and collected, but now that it is almost here, I am getting very nervous. I feel like I am prepared, but I am scared I will start rambling or fumble my words.

Any tips to nail the interview (besides practicing)?

1) Try to be conversational rather than sounding well rehearsed and robotic. (It lot more diffcult than u think)

2) Be tready with more than one example for a standard question like say what is ur strength

3) Read ur essays thoroghly and be consistent with ur app

4) Thank the interviewere for taking time out
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well??? How'd it go??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it was very helpful.

In my opinion the interviews (I had two this weekend) went great. Of course, I will find out how great they really were in a few weeks once decisions are released.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:

In my opinion the interviews (I had two this weekend) went great. Of course, I will find out how great they really were in a few weeks once decisions are released.

Good to hear that
Enjoy the waiting game :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
venky1979 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

Good to hear that

Most boring of all games!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
sm176811 wrote:
venky1979 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

Good to hear that

Most boring of all games!

100% agreed
I watched lage raho, blood diamond, cheaper by the dozen, Resident eveil: Appocalypse, guru to get rid of it
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]