Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations on your 750!

:woohoo
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats on the score, did u get any Perm/COmb questions ??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [0]
Send PM
Re: First Post - 750 (49Q; 42V) - Thank you [#permalink]
caramba80 wrote:
PS.- I have not really participated in the forum, so I decided not to post the 'what I did for the GMAT and what happened during the GMAT bit'. If someone is interested though, and others do not mind, I would love to post more on that!

Congrats buddy! Thats a great score! All of us are interested in knowing your study strategies and mor importantly, the kind of questions that you got in quant and verbal sections, the overall difficulty level, the similarity between the actual test and the other practice tests that you might have taken earlier.

Hope to hear from you! Well, in a way you can compensate your earlier non-participation by sharing your post-gmat thoughts with all of us! What say?? :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Preperation / test day and some help needed please! [#permalink]
Dear Coffeeloverfreak, Haralampi and Rahul Rao - Thanks!

Dear RahulRao - In response to your post and by way of background - I am a corporate lawyer, and well, had to take time off from work to study for the GMAT. I took 15 days off. I used the Princeton Review book, OG11, OG Verbal, OG Quant and K800 in that order. I did three full length tests - PR (690) about a week before the exam; Kaplan (640) about four days before the test and PP1 (770) the day before the test. I really wished that I had studied methodically for about an hour or so every day for about a month before I took my preparatory leave. It would have really helped.

Exam day -

AWA - The Analysis of an Issue left me speechless - I just did not know what to write and where to begin (which is rare for a lawyer!). Finished 10 seconds before time. Analysis of an Argument was simple. Finished well in advance. Did make notes prior to beginning in both cases - about 2 minutes each. I did not prepare for AWA at all. I just checked out what PR and the OG had to say about it - at a conceptual level - and left the rest to exam day and loads of practice writing memos at work.

Maths - Started really easy - Question on fractions. Second question - simple DS. I got my first P&C at question 6 - Got really confused. I am still searching the forums to see whether there is any equivalent question which has been discussed here. Guessed and moved on. One simple question of Co-ordinate Geometry. About 3 or 4 geometry questions - both PS and DS. Questions seem to average out in difficulty levels at about Q12 – 14. Ran out of time at the end and did the last 3 questions in about 2 minutes. Timed myself really poorly. Guess clicked the last question.

Verbal - Had not really practiced too much during my study leave. I will put it down to overconfidence which I sorely regret now. RC - Fairly standard - Not particularly tough. Two boldfaces - question 9 and 17 - remember this very distinctly. RC and CR were about the same difficulty as OG. SC was tougher - much tougher than the OG. Entire sentences, convoluted meanings and multiple errors. I was a bit paranoid about time after the quant section so I really hurried up. Finished about 35 minutes early.

Score - 750 (99%ile) (49Q - 90%ile; 42V - 96%ile).

My learning – (1) Prepare well in advance. Last minute study will not work. If work is a bother, just do an hour or so everyday for a couple of week before taking off to just study for the exam. (2) I really genuinely believed that I had mucked up my quantitative during the entire exam. I was clearly wrong. I should have not been thinking about quant at all, especially during verbal. I think in the heat of the moment you are completely unable to gauge how well or poorly you are doing – and its possibly a huge waste of time to slow down and try to get the questions correct to push up your score (3) The level of P&C questions in the forum is alarming for first time viewers. They should stay away from all of these question till they have their basics and then some in control. After that, they MUST do all of the questions in the forums if they are really thinking of cracking the GMAT. (4) I speak English as a first language for all practical purposes. I barely speak my mother tongue. I was overconfident because of this – and suffered. Just like maths, English NEEDS to be studied.

Could someone please please please help me? I am really really confused about whether to apply or not this year. If I should - which BSchools should I apply to. Does a 750 give me a fighting chance for the top 10? My profile is posted in the Ask Accepted and Ask Hjort forums. I would really appreciate some input!

If anyone wants more details I will be glad to mail / post!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
With a 750, "fighting chance" is an understatement. Your at the high end of the bell curve for the magical 80% range for top 10 schools. Only your essays and applications will keep you out.

As for schools, it depends on what you are seeking-finance, consulting, tech etc. But specialties becomes moot for top schools like wharton & hbs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear Carloz - Thank you for your reply!

I have spent two sleepless nights wondering whether I should apply this year or next. I am going to try and make up my mind in the next couple of days or so that I can get my act together and put together decent applications.

I do plan to apply to HBS and Wharton. I fear though, my GPA (of 4.75/7) may appear low by US standards, although it was a reasonably decent score at my Law School - placed me squat in the middle of my class. At any rate, I will wait for feedback from more folk, here, on the online work and outside in the real one and make up my mind!!

Meanwhile, I have subscribed to the US News Business School Rankings Premium Edition. Sigh! Should have thought carefully before flushing those 15$ away! People - don’t do it. Its simply not worth it. (I suspect of lot of you already know that!!:-)

C80
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Plan of action! [#permalink]
Dear all

Thank you so much for your messages.

I have now more or less decided to split up my application process. I am thinking of applying to my top 5 this year.

If I do not make it, I will follow a more structured application process with two or three safetys next year.

I have only 28 months of experience as a write this - So I figure that applying next year should not be an issue, even if applying this year is.

HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg are in my top 5 list. Does Sloan require any particular kind of background? I couldnt see any such requirement when reviewing Sloan application materials.

I will adopt a much broader list next year if this year's application process doesnt work out.

Once again, thank you!

Regards
C80
GMAT Club Bot
Plan of action! [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts