It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First time GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
First time GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 04:10
Hi! I'm going to write my first GMAT this May and I need some help because I really feel that I'm lost in this jungle of different schedules, information and ideas.

I'm studying business administration and I will hopefully graduate this summer/fall. My goal is probably 600-650, but I have no idea how hard that is to get. I'm planning to apply for Stockholm School of economics next year (January 2019 is the deadline) or Copenhagen business school. That's my dream, however, I will probably apply for different schools around Sweden/Denmark this year just in case. I'm planning to apply for a master in management.

I'm going to write my thesis this fall and also study an extra course. Can someone offer any information/strategies for someone that is more than a full-time student?

Thank you so much,
K.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: First time GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 13:47
Hi Kingjunior,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 15:08
Hi Rich,

Thank you for your reply! I will then definitely take the CAT-test after my exams.

How many hours each week, that's a hard question. How much would you recommend? I would like to study at least 12 hours each week.. It totally depends on my thesis though, but I'm going to plan ahead because I have to have time for this.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 18:03
I am taking first time GMAT test I don’t know anything , I have applied for MBA program in SUNY newpalz, I have bachelor degree from my country which I got equivalent from NACES credential evaluator and they give bachelor equivalence with 135 credits I am asked to take Gmat for MBA anyone help me how should I prepare for test.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 10:14
Kingjunior wrote:
Hi! I'm going to write my first GMAT this May and I need some help because I really feel that I'm lost in this jungle of different schedules, information and ideas.

I'm studying business administration and I will hopefully graduate this summer/fall. My goal is probably 600-650, but I have no idea how hard that is to get. I'm planning to apply for Stockholm School of economics next year (January 2019 is the deadline) or Copenhagen business school. That's my dream, however, I will probably apply for different schools around Sweden/Denmark this year just in case. I'm planning to apply for a master in management.

I'm going to write my thesis this fall and also study an extra course. Can someone offer any information/strategies for someone that is more than a full-time student?

Thank you so much,
K.

If you are absolutely new to GMAT, I suggest you to take a simple paper based diagnostic from the Official Guide (OG). You will get some idea of how much effort will be required. After that, you should go through a few questions of each type from the OG itself to understand the format. Once all this is done, a computer adaptive test will make sense. I would suggest you to take our free test for that: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-g ... tice-test/

Thereafter, you will get a good sense of what you need to do for your target score. If, unfortunately, you see that your score is far from the target, you can think of joining a full course (classroom or online). If not, some effort in the right areas could get those missing points.

Here are some free resources for you to try out:

https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-prep/

A trial class, lesson book and lesson video.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 10:28
Kingjunior wrote:

Thank you so much,
K.

Hi,
Welcome to the club! I suggest a few things:

1. Install the free GMATPREP software and take TEST1. Take the full test at one go. It will give you an idea where you stand now.
2. Get the Manhattan Books. Prepare for the next 2 months thoroughly. Study 3-4 hrs everyday (preferably 2hrs in morning and 2 hrs in evening) for 5 days/week. Take 2 days off.
3. Practice from Official guide and review each answer choice why it is right or wrong.
4. Once you complete step2, take the GMATPREP TEST1 again. Identify your weakness and put more focus on those areas(but dont forget to review other areas).

By the time you complete step3, you'll have fair idea about GMAT and how it works.

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 16:20
Hi Kingjunior,

For most Test Takers, studying for the GMAT is similar to having a part-time job; you have to commit to a schedule and put in a consistent amount of study each week. Until we see how you score on that initial CAT, we won't know your exact 'needs', but you should expect to study at least 10-15 hours each week (over the course of several months) to hit your Score Goal.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: First time GMAT   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2018, 16:20

First time GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap