Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:18 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619546 [0]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Scheller
GPA: 7.9
Send PM
Re: Food stamps are distributed by the government to aid those who lack [#permalink]
sset92 wrote:
Confused between A and E but IMO should be E
This is what I think.
Premise 1 : ­Food stamps are distributed by the government to aid those who lack the money to buy essentials such as milk, cheese, and bread.
Here we have established that the stamps are being given to those who lack money to buy essentials.

Premise 2: there exists a black market for these stamps whereby individuals sell them for cash at discounted values so that they can use the proceeds for alcohol and illegal drugs.
This gives us the information that they may be receiving more than enough to compensate for their food requirements and hence are able to sell the rest for alcohol/Drugs or Maybe they are getting just the right amount of it but because of their addiction would like to sell some (i.e compromise on their basic requirements) and instead buy alcohol/drugs.

(A) the number of stamps that any individual can be awarded in a given year.
I wanted to pick this one, but then I thought that we cannot assume whether they are getting many stamps or just enough stamps. Both cases are possible. What if they are getting just enough and still someone ends up selling it as a compromise to get alcohol/drugs. This is why I eliminated this one.

(B) the number of stores at which the stamps can be redeemed.
This in no way restricts the sale of the stamps.

(C) the amount of time for which the stamps are valid.
This also does not restrict the sale. The person will have to sell faster that is all.

(D) the days of the week on which the stamps can be used.
Does not restrict the sale of the stamps.

(E) use of the stamps to the individual that originally received them.
This restricts the sale of the stamps because it renders them useless for the ones who could have bought them. Hence I picked this one.­

­Yes, I would also stick with E considering it's only approach which prevents the exchange of stamps, leading to the blackmarketing of stamps and enabling the ones who wish to exploit them for money. 
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Food stamps are distributed by the government to aid those who lack [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts