Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 06:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 56
For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Dec 2014, 04:30
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:14) correct 12% (01:23) wrong based on 171 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour for the first 40 hours he works and y dollars per hour for the hours worked in excess of 40 hours. What is the value of y?

(1) If Raymond works 46 hours in one week, he will earn $416.50.
(2) Raymond’s hourly rate for the hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week is 1.5 times his hourly rate for the first 40 hours.

Originally posted by Jcpenny on 10 Oct 2008, 10:47.
Last edited by Bunuel on 31 Dec 2014, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question, added the OA and moved to DS forum.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2008
Posts: 69
Re: For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 10:55
40x + y(n-40)

statement 1

40x+y(n-40) = 416.5

n=46

still missing x & y

statement 2

1.5y = x

still missing n

both statements

n=46

y=1.5x

40x+1.5x*6 = 416.5

49x=416.5

x=8.5

The answer is (C)

:)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 959
Re: For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 11:18
Greenberg wrote:
40x + y(n-40)

statement 1

40x+y(n-40) = 416.5

n=46

still missing x & y

statement 2

1.5y = x

still missing n

both statements

n=46

y=1.5x

40x+1.5x*6 = 416.5

49x=416.5

x=8.5

The answer is (C)

:)


C is right. But shouldn't it be Y=1.5X ?? (hours worked in excess (Y) of 40 hours per week is 1.5 times his hourly rate for the first 40 hours(X))
_________________
"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2014
Posts: 138
Re: For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 09:09
1
Hi,
I am bumping this question since I just got it in my Gmat Prep exam.

My confusion is: "how would you write algebraically the Raymond´s salary formula given in the question stem?" I am talking about that step you make when you want to translate the given info in the question BEFORE going to the statements.

I would write it as 40x + y (h - 40) in which h is the total hours Raymond works.

However, isn´t this formula assuming that Raymond would work AT LEAST 40 hours total?
In other words, if Raymond worked just 10 hours, the formula "breaks"...

Is there another way to write this stuff without making such an assumption?

Thanks!
_________________
Consider giving me Kudos if I helped, but don´t take them away if I didn´t! :)

What would you do if you weren´t afraid?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56251
Re: For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 04:34
1
minwoswoh wrote:
For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour for the first 40 hours he works and y dollars per hour for the hours worked in excess of 40 hours. What is the value of y?

(1) If Raymond works 46 hours in one week, he will earn $416.50.
(2) Raymond’s hourly rate for the hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week is 1.5 times his hourly rate for the first 40 hours.

Hi,
I am bumping this question since I just got it in my Gmat Prep exam.

My confusion is: "how would you write algebraically the Raymond´s salary formula given in the question stem?" I am talking about that step you make when you want to translate the given info in the question BEFORE going to the statements.

I would write it as 40x + y (h - 40) in which h is the total hours Raymond works.

However, isn´t this formula assuming that Raymond would work AT LEAST 40 hours total?
In other words, if Raymond worked just 10 hours, the formula "breaks"...

Is there another way to write this stuff without making such an assumption?

Thanks!


If h <= 40, then salary = hx.
If h > 40, then salary = 40x + y(h - 40).
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2014
Posts: 138
Re: For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 16:44
Bunuel wrote:
minwoswoh wrote:
For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour for the first 40 hours he works and y dollars per hour for the hours worked in excess of 40 hours. What is the value of y?

(1) If Raymond works 46 hours in one week, he will earn $416.50.
(2) Raymond’s hourly rate for the hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week is 1.5 times his hourly rate for the first 40 hours.

Hi,
I am bumping this question since I just got it in my Gmat Prep exam.

My confusion is: "how would you write algebraically the Raymond´s salary formula given in the question stem?" I am talking about that step you make when you want to translate the given info in the question BEFORE going to the statements.

I would write it as 40x + y (h - 40) in which h is the total hours Raymond works.

However, isn´t this formula assuming that Raymond would work AT LEAST 40 hours total?
In other words, if Raymond worked just 10 hours, the formula "breaks"...

Is there another way to write this stuff without making such an assumption?

Thanks!


If h <= 40, then salary = hx.
If h > 40, then salary = 40x + y(h - 40).

Gotcha! How dumb I was...
+1 for you. Happy New Year, Bunuel.
_________________
Consider giving me Kudos if I helped, but don´t take them away if I didn´t! :)

What would you do if you weren´t afraid?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 May 2014
Posts: 89
Location: India
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9
Re: For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 21:49
I was able to understand as to why we need to derive the equation 40x+y(n-40) from the question stem. But in statement 1, it is mentioned that total duration is 46 hours, can't the equation 40x+6y=416.50 be used and some value of x&y will satisfy the equation.!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Mar 2017
Posts: 114
Re: For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 07:32
narendran1990 wrote:
I was able to understand as to why we need to derive the equation 40x+y(n-40) from the question stem. But in statement 1, it is mentioned that total duration is 46 hours, can't the equation 40x+6y=416.50 be used and some value of x&y will satisfy the equation.!!



not sure whether I understand your question

but in DS you need one unique solution and for 40x+6y=416.50 there are several solution, thus several possibilities for y
_________________
I hate long and complicated explanations!
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 11694
Re: For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2018, 19:23
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2018, 19:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

For a week Raymond is paid at the rate of x dollars per hour

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne