GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 05:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Foster MBA Admission and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Foster Students Compete and Celebrate for Charity in Palo Alto  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 08:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Foster Students Compete and Celebrate for Charity in Palo Alto

The 2018 Foster women’s volleyball team

About the author: Mukund Rajasekhar is a first-year full-time MBA student at Foster.

Every April, MBA students from 8 business schools on the West Coast make their way to Stanford to indulge in a weekend filled with sports, music, dance-offs and even a battle of the bands. But dig a little deeper and you see that each of these students has done their part in spreading goodwill in their communities. This weekend marks the culmination of an entire year of volunteering and fundraising across the coast and the students meet up to celebrate a year of giving back. Challenge for Charity, or C4C as it is fondly called, is a competition which has no losers. Students from the 8 schools volunteer thousands of hours and raise hundreds of thousands of dollars every year; with the winning school getting bragging rights and custody of the elusive Golden Briefcase for a year.

The 2018 Foster band

This year, students from Foster pushed the limits and broke multiple records. We raised more money and volunteered more hours than ever before, and finished third overall in sports, our highest ranking yet. Unfortunately, this was not enough for us to retain the Golden Briefcase.

The Foster women’s table tennis team.

C4C is taken very seriously at Foster and no one knows this better than the people leading the charge; our C4C presidents. As outgoing C4C presidents, Jenny Nowierski and Abby Schilbach have had the honor of winning the Golden briefcase in 2017. This is what Jenny has to say about C4C:

C4C Sports Weekend is the best weekend of the school year.  It gives you the unique opportunity to celebrate all the hard work we put into volunteering and fundraising for our amazing core charities while enjoying the beautiful weather and meeting new friends.  I feel a true sense of pride cheering on our incredibly talented classmates as they compete in sports, and I’ve never felt more excited to be a Husky. We all work so hard throughout the year and this is the best way to celebrate our accomplishments.

Finishing second this year was a hard pill to swallow but it has only fueled our quest to bring the Golden Briefcase back. This year, our campaign is being led by John Turk, Mallory Green and Monica Haggarty; and with the entire school behind them, it’s just a matter of time until the Golden Briefcase adorns the hallways of Paccar Hall once again.

The Foster men’s basketball team.

As John says, “C4C is a wonderful opportunity to compete in your favorite sports, cheer on your classmates, and have fun in Palo Alto! We are looking forward to another great weekend next year and to re-claiming the briefcase!”

The post Foster Students Compete and Celebrate for Charity in Palo Alto appeared first on Foster Blog.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
FOSTERing Community & Connections  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 10:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: FOSTERing Community & Connections

In April, in the midst of our spring welcome weekend, Foster hosted its first Alumni Diversity Dinner. The event — which was held in an intimate setting at the home of Melissa Uyesugi, Foster’s Associate Director of Diversity and Inclusion — welcomed 12 admitted students, 6 of their Blue Dots (Foster’s term for significant others), 6 Foster alumni, 4 current students, and 2 staff members.

Compared to other MBA programs, Foster’s full-time class is on the smaller side, with around 100 students. But this gives the program a unique asset — a compelling sense of community. Providing a small space gave admitted students the opportunity to forge authentic connections with both current students and alumni, and allowed them to get a sense of how Foster views diversity.

In an effort to promote meaningful dialogue and connections, guests were given cups that featured fun conversation starters. There were also Jenga games that featured deeper get-to-know you questions on each piece. The alumni and students that attended found the event incredibly valuable.

“It was really a pleasure to have the opportunity to connect with prospective students at the Diversity Dinner,” Jamie Young, President of Women in Business at Foster and full-time class of 2019, said. “Needless to say, I am impressed by their accomplishments and inspired by their stories.”

“I loved the inaugural Diversity Dinner Event!” said Elisa Yuen, Senior Strategist at T-Mobile and Foster Class of 2017. “There are many Foster alumni and current students passionate about diversity. We come from different backgrounds and many of us enter different fields after graduation, but we’re united in continually striving to improve access and opportunities for underserved communities. It is always a great time catching up with those we know and building new connections with prospective students.”

In July, Foster will officially join the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, an organization dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion in business education, and more events related to these initiatives are planned over the coming months.

Last November, Foster hosted a Fostering MBA Access event that featured prospective student visits, mentorship opportunities, and treks to several companies in the Seattle area. Foster plans to host a similar event this fall. Interested prospective students should complete this form to receive updates on upcoming events and opportunities to connect with Foster.

The post FOSTERing Community & Connections appeared first on Foster Blog.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Foster MBAs and the Pacific Northwest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 22:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Foster MBAs and the Pacific Northwest
One of the best things about attending Foster is you get access to everything that Seattle and Washington State has to offer. The #PNW ( Pacific Northwest) is peppered liberally on Instagram and is most common on posts involving people hiking, paddle boarding and enjoying everything outdoors.

Class of 2019 student Marshelle Slayton and husband Trevor Bouten on Mount Washington

Summers in Seattle are not to be missed, and Foster MBA students take full advantage of the gorgeous weather and the proximity we enjoy to many mountains and lakes. Many incoming students choose to spend their time in the weeks and possibly months leading up to business school taking advantage of everything this gorgeous state has to offer.

Class of 2019 Blue Dot Katherine Lane at Heather Lake

The best part about living in Seattle is that you don’t need to travel far to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Looking for a relatively easy hike? Tiger Mountain is a 30-minute drive away. Feeling a bit more adventurous and want to challenge yourself? Mount Washington will greet you with a 4,000 feet elevation gain that has to be scaled in less than 4 miles! And it’s only an hour away from the city which means you get back that much sooner to rest those sore muscles. If hiking is not your thing, you can always take a ferry to the San Juan Islands to indulge in some paddle boarding, camping or just lay in a hammock and take in some gorgeous sunsets.

Class of 2019 student Loris Zarzar on the Mount Washington trail

Let’s not forget the group of Foster MBA students who attempt to summit Mount Rainier, the tallest peak in Washington, every year! This year the summit was successfully attempted by 10 students from the class of 2018 and 2019, and the climb was the culmination of a year of intense training and preparation. I was assured that the pictures below don’t do justice to the actual views from the top. Not many men and women can boast of walking on land higher than the clouds, and these students earned it!

Class of 2019 student Levi Zurbrugg on Mount Rainier

As you can see, Seattle and Washington have a lot to offer the outdoor junkie. Pack those bags! The PNW is waiting for you!

MBAs from the class of 2018 and 2019 on the summit of Mount Rainier

The post Foster MBAs and the Pacific Northwest appeared first on Foster Blog.
Intern
Intern
Applied Strategy Projects at Foster  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 23:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Applied Strategy Projects at Foster
As part of the Foster curriculum, every full-time MBA student participates in a consulting project during winter quarter. This academic course, called Applied Strategy, pairs teams of students with companies to solve complex business problems. Applied Strategy projects provide students an opportunity to apply classroom concepts in a real business scenario and get a feel for what to expect in their future internships and careers. Many students use the MBA to pivot their careers, and Applied Strategy projects allow students to explore different roles and functions in a controlled academic environment. Projects span a variety of industries and include but are not limited to projects in strategy, marketing, finance, and operations management.

My team worked with Google on a project relating to the marketing landscape in the technology space. Since all the students on my team signed NDAs prior to working on this topic, I can’t share too many project specifics. Over the course of 10 weeks my team researched the technology advertising landscape, identified industry best practices and examples, and ultimately provided Google with a set of strategic recommendations.

What surprised me the most, in a good way, was how the experience was so much more than a marketing project. Through the project I got to wear many hats; from consulting, when we were researching, digging for data and providing recommendations; to operations when we went about planning the project timeline and deliverables. One of the more challenging aspects of this experience was scoping the project and deliverables. It would have been very easy for us to fall down a rabbit hole and lose sight of the bigger picture. The experience proved to be a tremendous learning opportunity and I learned to prioritize and execute on the fly, a skill that I have used both at school and in my summer internship at Amazon.

From gentle nudges that instigated thought-provoking discussions amongst the team, to the timely feedback that ensured our team was on track, the Google project sponsors were very involved and made it an extremely enriching and educational experience. I truly gained insight into how a company like Google approaches problems.

Applied Strategy can prove hugely impactful to a student’s MBA journey; from finding great mentors to using it as a platform to network and grow as a student and a leader. My classmate, Tim Luk, says ”My Applied Strategy project was the most valuable experience I’ve had at Foster thus far. As someone trying to transition into the tech industry with no prior tech experience, it was a great way to gain relevant experience. My team hit the ground running and was able to impress our sponsor with the depth of our recommendations.”

Another classmate, Jamie Young, had this to say about her experience “During my summer internship, I’ve drawn on many learnings from my Applied Strategy project. It’s been immensely helpful to draw on the experience of taking an open-ended problem, researching, applying frameworks and developing a recommendation. The project was a great application for balancing the revenue goals of the client, the price sensitivity of the customer, and the value perceived by the end customer. “

The post Applied Strategy Projects at Foster appeared first on Foster Blog.
Intern
Intern
Applied Strategy Projects at Foster  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2018, 08:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Applied Strategy Projects at Foster
As part of the Foster curriculum, every full-time MBA student participates in a consulting project during winter quarter. This academic course, called Applied Strategy, pairs teams of students with companies to solve complex business problems. Applied Strategy projects provide students an opportunity to apply classroom concepts in a real business scenario and get a feel for what to expect in their future internships and careers. Many students use the MBA to pivot their careers, and Applied Strategy projects allow students to explore different roles and functions in a controlled academic environment. Projects span a variety of industries and include but are not limited to projects in strategy, marketing, finance, and operations management.

My team worked with Google on a project relating to the marketing landscape in the technology space. Since all the students on my team signed NDAs prior to working on this topic, I can’t share too many project specifics. Over the course of 10 weeks my team researched the technology advertising landscape, identified industry best practices and examples, and ultimately provided Google with a set of strategic recommendations.

What surprised me the most, in a good way, was how the experience was so much more than a marketing project. Through the project I got to wear many hats; from consulting, when we were researching, digging for data and providing recommendations; to operations when we went about planning the project timeline and deliverables. One of the more challenging aspects of this experience was scoping the project and deliverables. It would have been very easy for us to fall down a rabbit hole and lose sight of the bigger picture. The experience proved to be a tremendous learning opportunity and I learned to prioritize and execute on the fly, a skill that I have used both at school and in my summer internship at Amazon.

From gentle nudges that instigated thought-provoking discussions amongst the team, to the timely feedback that ensured our team was on track, the Google project sponsors were very involved and made it an extremely enriching and educational experience. I truly gained insight into how a company like Google approaches problems.

Applied Strategy can prove hugely impactful to a student’s MBA journey; from finding great mentors to using it as a platform to network and grow as a student and a leader. My classmate, Tim Luk, says ”My Applied Strategy project was the most valuable experience I’ve had at Foster thus far. As someone trying to transition into the tech industry with no prior tech experience, it was a great way to gain relevant experience. My team hit the ground running and was able to impress our sponsor with the depth of our recommendations.”

Another classmate, Jamie Young, had this to say about her experience “During my summer internship, I’ve drawn on many learnings from my Applied Strategy project. It’s been immensely helpful to draw on the experience of taking an open-ended problem, researching, applying frameworks and developing a recommendation. The project was a great application for balancing the revenue goals of the client, the price sensitivity of the customer, and the value perceived by the end customer. “

The post Applied Strategy Projects at Foster appeared first on Foster Blog.
Intern
Intern
Conquering the Summer:Foster MBA Interns  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 17:00
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Conquering the Summer:Foster MBA Interns
Summer internships mark the all-important transition from the first year to the second year of the MBA and give students a chance to use all the new skills they have accumulated in their business “toolbox” over the first year of the MBA. As always, Foster MBAs this year made their way into some of the biggest and most prestigious companies across America.

Preparations for summer internships start as early as Autumn quarter with Foster students engaging in networking and case preparations for consulting internship opportunities, which are the first to arrive on campus. Networking, a term synonymous with every MBA, is a great way to learn about various roles and organizations. With plenty of supportive Foster alumni present in the Seattle area, a friendly coffee chat is just an email away. Consulting internships offer students a great chance to experience the breadth of an industry and pick up critical technical and interpersonal skills.

As Gina Johnson (MBA 2019) says “I was an operations improvement consultant intern at ECG, a management consulting firm specializing in provider side healthcare. I got to work on eight different client projects this summer, giving me opportunities to apply lots of new MBA skills I learned in the first year, learn more about different aspects of the healthcare industry I hadn’t previously been exposed to, and see firsthand what a career in consulting could be like!”

However, some Foster MBAs don’t get to experience the beautiful Seattle summer because they find themselves solving challenging business problems in different parts of the country. From Samsung in New York to Facebook and Dell in Austin and LinkedIn in the Bay area; Foster MBAs affect change, coast to coast. Andrew Caponi (MBA 2019) was a product manager at Facebook’s Austin office this summer, and he was able to soak up some sun and drive tangible impact for the social networking giant. As Andrew says “This summer, I worked on Facebook’s Risk and Payments team providing analytical support to product managers.  After gaining an understanding of the business, I created a product health monitoring framework and build a real-time tool that provided managers with quantitative guidance on where to invest in product quality and integrity as they scale. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Facebook and was very appreciative of the resources they provided me which allowed me to make an impact in a relatively short period of time. “

Another power team that made way out of Seattle for the summer was David Cone and Catherine La Plant who made sure Intel’s finance team had access to some sharp business minds for the summer. Talking about his experience at Intel in Portland, David (MBA 2019) says” This summer I spent my time learning what it means to be a finance professional at Intel. Over the course of my internship, I had the opportunity to use the skills I learned in my classes and test out my career switch from information technology to finance. Although I was nervous about such a big switch, I was able to lean heavily on a fellow classmate, Catherine LaPlant, that also interned at Intel. Overall I had a great experience and would highly recommend Intel for future MBA students at Foster.”

Summer internships during your MBA are a great way to learn new skills, put your knowledge to the test and explore roles and industries that may be of potential interest to you. The staff and faculty at Foster, current students, and the alumni across the globe will help ensure that you have a summer experience that is not only fulfilling but also filled with fond memories that you can bring back to your second year of B-School.

The post Conquering the Summer:Foster MBA Interns appeared first on Foster Blog.
GMAT Club Bot
Conquering the Summer:Foster MBA Interns &nbs [#permalink] 29 Oct 2018, 17:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Foster MBA Admission and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap