GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2018, 07:38
Hi all,

I don't mean to bump an old post but this leads me to think I am really over-thinking problems. I took the same approach as many of you, picking numbers, but I got lost in the question stem. I kept thinking "is Carol included in M? is she an outsider that eats them after they've been divided evenly among the M students?" This seems to be a common error I make. Any tips for getting over this?
Director
Director
P
Premium Member
Re: Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 00:17
Bunuel wrote:
Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for m students, where m > 4. Three of the sandwiches were evenly divided among the students. Since 4 students did not want any of the fourth sandwich, it was evenly divided among the remaining students. If Carol ate one piece from each of the four sandwiches, the amount of sandwich that she ate would be what fraction of a whole extra-large sandwich?

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

Kudos for a correct solution.

Let X be the area of each sandwich.

Given 3 sandwiches are evenly divided among m students. Hence each student received one piece of area 3X/m

Now the 4th sandwich is refused by 4 students & is evenly divided among the rest of the students. Hence each of these students received a X/(m-4) area a piece of this sandwich.

Carol ate one piece from each sandwich, hence total area of sandwich consumed by carol = 3X/m + X/(m-4) = X(4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

Hence Carol ate (4m-12)/[m(m-4)] fraction of the extra large sandwich.

Answer E.

Thanks,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 02:13
Bunuel wrote:
Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for m students, where m > 4. Three of the sandwiches were evenly divided among the students. Since 4 students did not want any of the fourth sandwich, it was evenly divided among the remaining students. If Carol ate one piece from each of the four sandwiches, the amount of sandwich that she ate would be what fraction of a whole extra-large sandwich?

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

Let m=5, implying that there are 5 students.
Let each sandwich = 5 units, implying that 3 sandwiches = 3*5 = 15 units.

Since 3 sandwiches are distributed among all 5 students -- including Carol -- the number of units received by Carol from these 3 sandwiches = 15/5 = 3 units.

Since 4 of the 5 students do not share in the last sandwich, and Carol eats a portion of EVERY sandwich, all 5 units of the last sandwich must be given to Carol.
Thus, total units for Carol = 3+5 = 8 units.

Resulting fraction:
(Carol's units)/(units per sandwich) = 8/5. This is our target.
Now plug m=5 into the answer choices to see which yields our target of 8/5.

Every answer choice has the same denominator:
m(m-4) = 5(5-4) = 5.
To yield our target of 8/5, the correct answer choice must have a numerator of 8.
Only E works:
4m-12 = (4*5) - 12 = 8.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 09:53
I feel that this question could be best solved by substituting some value to m.
Let m = 12.

Scenario 1:
3 sandwiches --- 12 students
? --- 1 student
\(= \frac{3}{12} = \frac{1}{4}\)

Scenario 2:
1 sandwich --- 8 students
? --- 1 student
\(= \frac{1}{8}\)

\(Total : \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{1}{8} = \frac{3}{8}\)

When substituted m=12 in all of the options, only E gives the correct value.
E is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 05:07
If the \(4\) sandwiches are to be divided among \(m\) students, this means that each of student will have \(\frac{4}{m}\) of the entire portion.

Given that \(4\) of the students didn’t want their share on the fourth sandwich, these were then divided among the total students (minus those \(4\)); that’s \(1\) divided by \((m-4)\) students.

This means each of the students has received an additional \(\frac{1}{(m-4)}\) of the sandwiches.

Carol ate \(\frac{3}{m}\) and \(\frac{1}{(m-4)}\) of the portions. That adds up to :

\(\frac{3}{m}+\frac{1}{(m-4)}\)
\(=\frac{3(m-4)}{m(m-4)} +\frac{m}{m(m-4)}\)
\(=\frac{(3m-12+m)}{(m(m-4))}\)
\(=\frac{(4m-12)}{(m(m-4))}\)

The final answer is .
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 20:02
Hi, I assumed m = 6 and what I got was 3/6 (3 sandwiches divided among 6) + 1/2 (6-4= 2 people equally sharing the one sandwich) and got 1 and selected E, which was correct.

However, I had a little problem with the language of the question when it said Carol had each of the four sandwiches. I was confused because I thought it said that Carol should have one piece of four sandwiches which would mean that she should have 1/2 (the share equally divided for all the sandwiches) * 4 which is 2.

Any help will be appreciated to how to translate this part properly :thumbup:
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for &nbs [#permalink] 13 Oct 2018, 20:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap