It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 23:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 136007 [5], given: 12723

Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 02:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

75% (02:26) correct 25% (02:21) wrong based on 619 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for m students, where m > 4. Three of the sandwiches were evenly divided among the students. Since 4 students did not want any of the fourth sandwich, it was evenly divided among the remaining students. If Carol ate one piece from each of the four sandwiches, the amount of sandwich that she ate would be what fraction of a whole extra-large sandwich?

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

Kudos for a correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 136007 [5], given: 12723

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2413 [3], given: 51

GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 03:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:
Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for m students, where m > 4. Three of the sandwiches were evenly divided among the students. Since 4 students did not want any of the fourth sandwich, it was evenly divided among the remaining students. If Carol ate one piece from each of the four sandwiches, the amount of sandwich that she ate would be what fraction of a whole extra-large sandwich?

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

Three of the sandwiches were evenly divided among the students
i.e. Amount of Sandwiches with each students = 3/m

Amount of 4th Sandwich with remaining (m-4) students = 1/(m-4)

The amount of Sandwich that carol ate = 3/m + 1/(m-4) = (3m-12+m)/[m(m-4)] = (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

Answer: option E

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Kudos [?]: 2413 [3], given: 51

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1075 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 03:22
Since first three sandwiches were equally divided among m students , Carol ate = 3/m
Fourth sandwhich was divided equally among m-4 students , carol ate = 1/(m-4)
Amount of sandwhich Carol ate = 3/ m + 1/(m-4) = 4m-12/m(m-4)

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1075 [0], given: 90

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1930 [2], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

I feel most comfortable to plug in a number for m since the question does allow so.

We have 4 sandwiches to share among m students. m>4. Let m = 6.

3 of the 4 sandwiches are shared equally among 6 students. Therefore we have 3/4 of the 4 sandwiches to share among 6. \(\frac{3}{4}\)/6 = \(\frac{1}{8}\). So we know that one piece is 1/8 of the 4 sandwiches.

Finally, the fourth sandwich is divided among the remaining students. In our case this will be 2 students. We have \(\frac{1}{4}\)/2 = \(\frac{1}{8}\)

Now hungry Carol eats from each one piece. Hence she eats 1/4 of the 4 sandwiches which is a whole sandwich (1 = Target Value) in total.

Plug in 6 in the equations below. Answer D will provide you with a 1 as a result.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1930 [2], given: 302

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 32 [3], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 18:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Let's assume \(m=10\)

Then Carol ate

\(\frac{1}{10}+\frac{1}{10}+\frac{1}{10}+\frac{1}{6}=\frac{28}{60}\) of the sandwhich.

The nominator needs to equal 28 when 10 is plugged in for m. Obviously, only E satisfies the condition.

Kudos [?]: 32 [3], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 21:05
reto wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

I feel most comfortable to plug in a number for m since the question does allow so.

We have 4 sandwiches to share among m students. m>4. Let m = 6.

3 of the 4 sandwiches are shared equally among 6 students. Therefore we have 3/4 of the 4 sandwiches to share among 6. \(\frac{3}{4}\)/6 = \(\frac{1}{8}\). So we know that one piece is 1/8 of the 4 sandwiches.

Finally, the fourth sandwich is divided among the remaining students. In our case this will be 2 students. We have \(\frac{1}{4}\)/2 = \(\frac{1}{8}\)

Now hungry Carol eats from each one piece. Hence she eats 1/4 of the 4 sandwiches which is a whole sandwich (1 = Target Value) in total.

Plug in 6 in the equations below. Answer D will provide you with a 1 as a result.

I think you are having some mistakes here.
First of all, the first 3 sandwiches are shared equally among 6 students. So each one will eat: 3/6 = 0.5 (sandwich)
Then 4 students do not eat the fourth one, so there are only two members eating including Carol so carol will eat: 1/2 = 0.5 (sandwich)
So totally, Carol will eat exactly 1 sandwich, using m = 6, the answer must be E where as your answer D will be that Carol eats 4/3 sandwich (not correct)
Using m as a variable or using a particular figure, the answer still must be E.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 02:53
the moment I see the answer choices ‘all variables’ I know I can plug in numbers

Let m=6 so a pie eaten by Carol from 3 sandwiches is 3/6= ½
A pie eaten by Carol from the fourth sandwich = ½
So she had 1 whole sandwich
M(m-4)= 6*2=12 so we want 12 in the numerator only E gives the numerator of 12 as (4m-12)=(4*6-12)=12
Ans E

Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Kudos [?]: 506 [0], given: 197

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 38

GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 12:16
[quote="NoHalfMeasures"]the moment I see the answer choices ‘all variables’ I know I can plug in numbers

Let m=6 so a pie eaten by Carol from 3 sandwiches is 3/6= ½
A pie eaten by Carol from the fourth sandwich = ½
So she had 1 whole sandwich
M(m-4)= 6*2=12 so we want 12 in the numerator only E gives the numerator of 12 as (4m-12)=(4*6-12)=12
Ans E[/quote

I have a question here... Here's my calculation. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Let m=6. so each of the student gets 3/6 or 1/2 of the sandwich.
4th sandwich is shared by only 2 students equaling 1/2 sandwich each.
Carol's bite from sandwiches is (1/2)*3+1/4=2.

Where am i going wrong?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 38

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 367

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 21:08
Flexxice wrote:

A) [m + 4][/m(m - 4)]

B) [2m - 4][/m(m-4)]

C) [4m - 4][/m(m - 4)]

D) [4m - 8][/m(m - 4)]

E) [4m - 12][/m(m - 4)]

I get what I have to do and more or less know how to do it, but in the solution, the OG makes a really weird calculation. Unfortunately, this weird step is needed and I hope someone can explain this step to me. :)

Carol ate [3][/m] of the first three sandwiches and [1][/m - 4] of the last sandwich. Thus, I have to add both fractions. The following is the OG's way:

[3][/m] + [1][/m - 4] = [3(m - 4) + m][/m(m - 4)] = [4m - 12][/m(m - 4)]

I have no idea what has been done in the second step. Could someone please explain this to me? The rest is clear.

Thanks a lot in advance!

it took me some time to understand the solution,but can help you little bit.

there are 4 sandwiches and no of students m , whatever the value may be.

3 sandwiches divided amount student each will get 3/m part.
now the 4th sandwich is divided amount m-4 student because 4 student dont want to eat now no of students pending is m-4

carol is among those student who was in both groups
so first group got 3/m + second grp got 1/m-4 , becauase only 1 sanwich is left to divide among m-4 students
add and calculate.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 367

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 209

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 19:33
Bunuel wrote:

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

i put m=6.
3 sandwiches were divided among 6 people. thus, each ate half.
last one - 4 refused, and 2 ate half of the fourth.
so last 2 ate in total 1 "whole" (by size) sandwich

since we have same denominator, we must find a value for numerator to be equal with it.
m(m-4)=6*2=12. so numerator must be 12.
only E works.

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 209

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 995 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 05:57
Bunuel wrote:

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

We are originally given that 4 sandwiches were ordered and that 3 of those sandwiches were divided by m students. Thus, each student had 3/m sandwiches.

However, since 4 students did not want any of the 4th sandwich, the 4th sandwich was actually divided amongst the remaining students, or m – 4 students. Thus, each of the remaining students received 1/(m-4) sandwiches.

We are given that Carol actually ate one piece from each of the four sandwiches. Thus, Carol ate:

3/m + 1/(m- 4)

Getting a common denominator of m(m-4) we have:

(3m-12)/[m(m-4)] + m/[m(m-4)] = (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

Since a whole sandwich is equal to 1, Carol had (4m-12)/[m(m-4)] of a full sandwich.

Answer: E

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 995 [0], given: 5

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 87 [2], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Yep, picking numbers works nicely here. Here's a video that goes over a value substitution solution for this question:

Algebra also works well:

Hope the videos are helpful.

Last edited by GMATAcademy on 06 Jul 2016, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 87 [2], given: 4

SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 552 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 07:02
Bunuel wrote:

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

3 sandwiches divided among m students.
Hence each student gets 3/m sandwiches

For the last one, 4 students do not want to eat, hence remaining students = m - 4
Each student gets 1/ (m-4) sandwiches

Total sandwiches eaten by Carol = 3/m + 1/(m-4) = 3m - 12 + m / m(m-4) = 4m-12/m(m-4)

Correct Option: E

Kudos [?]: 552 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 05:46
took me a little longer because of tuff wording:
smart numbers technique
let's 6 be the total number of students
students ordered 4 sandwiches, 3 ones were divideded between 6 students, each got 3/6
then the left sandwich were divided between 2 (6-4) students. hence 1/2 got each student

that chick Carol ate one piece in each party: 3/6+1/2=1
question asks what was her fraction of a sandwich: 1/1=1

Let's put 6 in each answer choice and test

E is one that works

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 23:29
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

We are originally given that 4 sandwiches were ordered and that 3 of those sandwiches were divided by m students. Thus, each student had 3/m sandwiches.

However, since 4 students did not want any of the 4th sandwich, the 4th sandwich was actually divided amongst the remaining students, or m – 4 students. Thus, each of the remaining students received 1/(m-4) sandwiches.

We are given that Carol actually ate one piece from each of the four sandwiches. Thus, Carol ate:

3/m + 1/(m- 4)

Getting a common denominator of m(m-4) we have:

(3m-12)/[m(m-4)] + m/[m(m-4)] = (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

Since a whole sandwich is equal to 1, Carol had (4m-12)/[m(m-4)] of a full sandwich.

Answer: E

can you please explain, all the students would have had 4m-12/(m(m-4)) pieces except 4 students who refused?
because if each student gets 3/m portion - it is similar to 1/m + 1/m + 1/m
am i right?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

SC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1240 [0], given: 896

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 00:02
Avinash_R1 wrote:

can you please explain, all the students would have had 4m-12/(m(m-4)) pieces except 4 students who refused?
because if each student gets 3/m portion - it is similar to 1/m + 1/m + 1/m
am i right?

Hi,

I think you haven't understood the question correctly. Since Carol ate a piece from all the 4 cakes she belongs to the category of people who did not refuse to eat the 4th cake.

In the first 3 cakes she could eat 3/m
In the 4th cake she ate 1/(m - 4)

Kudos [?]: 1240 [0], given: 896

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 00:16

A) (m+4)/[m(m-4)]

B) (2m-4)/[m(m-4)]

C) (4m-4)/[m(m-4)]

D) (4m-8)/[m(m-4)]

E) (4m-12)/[m(m-4)]

This is my 2 cents.
I plugged m = 12
Then, 3 breads / 12 equally gives = 1/4
As 4 didn't want anymore, 1 bread / 8 gives = 1/8
So, Carol ate (1/4) + (1/8) = 3/8.
(3/8) of bread divide by 4 breads gives = 3/24 <--this is the fraction of the bread Carol ate.

What this means is that the numerator needs to be a factor of 3.
Only E is --> (4*12)-12 = 36

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 15:48
Method - 1 (number picking).

Let us pick a number which is more than 4 and gets divided by 4. The first such number is 8, so let m = 8

so Carol will have \(\frac{1}{8}\) from 1st sandwich, \(\frac{1}{8}\)from 2nd sandwich, and \(\frac{1}{8}\) from 3rd sandwich - total = \(\frac{3}{8}\)

The 4th sandwich will be divided into 4 less part; so it will be divided into 4 parts, of which Carol will have 1/4

So Carol will have a total of \(\frac{3}{8}\) + \(\frac{1}{4}\)= \(\frac{3}{8}\)+ \(\frac{2}{8}\) = \(\frac{5}{8}\)

Now let us apply m = 8 in each of the 5 options to see, which one gives us \(\frac{5}{8}\), the answer will be option E

Method - 2 (algebra).

Carol will have \(\frac{1}{m}\) of a sandwich from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd sandwich, and \(\frac{1}{(m-4)}\) from the 4th sandwich

So Carol will have a total of 3 * \(\frac{1}{m}\) + \(\frac{1}{(m-4)}\), which will lead to option E

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2017, 15:48

Four extra-large sandwiches of exactly the same size were ordered for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap