Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7804 [9]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2096 [4]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2544 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Re: Freud counted the ability to love, along with the capacity work, as a [#permalink]
Freud counted the ability to love, along with the capacity for work, as a hallmark of full maturity.

(a) work, as a hallmark of full maturity
--> CORRECT
(b) work, as hallmarks to full maturation.
subject singular alongwith conserves singularity here

(c) working, to be full maturity's hallmark.
--> awkward

(d) working, as hallmarks to full maturity.
(e) work, as being full maturations's hallmark.
--> awkward at best
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: Freud counted the ability to love, along with the capacity work, as a [#permalink]
1. What's the difference between work and working in this question?
working sounds verb whereas work is noun here, verb is simply not required here.
had it been "capacity for working long hours" , it would have sounded right.

2. What's wrong with d?

3. Is "hallmarks", which are plural the reason that d isn't correct?
Bang on. :wink:
An example
The ability to love, along with the capacity for work is the most sought after quality now days. SINGULAR.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7804 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
mohankumarbd wrote:
The first thing I notice in this question is parallelism. to love ...... for work. working is wrong here.

a. Correct.
b. Hallmarks does seem to fit in here. Not sure of the reasoning behind this.
c. not parallel
d. not parallel
e. being is redundant and the sentence is wordy and awkward

Hope this answers you key question on use of working.

Isn't "love" in the question a verb?
I think that since "love" is a verb, "working", which is also a verb, should be used for this sentence to be parallel.

one more question, which is not related to the discussion above.

a hallmark OF full maturity or a hallmark TO full maturity.
Are both of the prepositions, to and of, correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Kudos
eybrj2 wrote:
mohankumarbd wrote:
The first thing I notice in this question is parallelism. to love ...... for work. working is wrong here.

a. Correct.
b. Hallmarks does seem to fit in here. Not sure of the reasoning behind this.
c. not parallel
d. not parallel
e. being is redundant and the sentence is wordy and awkward

Hope this answers you key question on use of working.

Isn't "love" in the question a verb?
I think that since "love" is a verb, "working", which is also a verb, should be used for this sentence to be parallel.

one more question, which is not related to the discussion above.

a hallmark OF full maturity or a hallmark TO full maturity.
Are both of the prepositions, to and of, correct?

"Love" is a noun, and for the q in reference the phrase is 'ability to love' as action 1 and "capacity for work' as action 2.
We are focusing on parallelism, so 'capacity for working' would not be in parallel to 'ability to love'. And also 'capacity for working' what ?

As for prepositions, to and of, both are correct depending on the usage.
Hallmark of Full maturity-- here the person has gotten to the benchmark.
Hallmark to Full maturity-- here the person is getting to the benchmark. The benchmark is still Full Maturity but there is one or more qualities yet desired to get there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:
Freud counted the ability to love, along with the capacity for work, as a hallmark of full maturity.

FOR --> FOR can be followed by FOR + VERB -ING or FOR + NOUN.

1. Can some one help me out how to distinguish whether "WORK" is used as a Noun or Verb + ING form?
2. To + Verb --> Hence, is "Love" used as a verb here?
3. Can "To" be followed by a noun? I m able to relate few examples. (She was born to you.) But the above sentence, I m unable to understand how "LOVE" is acting as a noun?

Someone kindly help me in understanding.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31961 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Expert Reply
sowragu wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

FOR --> FOR can be followed by FOR + VERB -ING or FOR + NOUN.

1. Can some one help me out how to distinguish whether "WORK" is used as a Noun or Verb + ING form?
3. Can "To" be followed by a noun? I m able to relate few examples. (She was born to you.) But the above sentence, I m unable to understand how "LOVE" is acting as a noun?

Someone kindly help me in understanding.

Hi,
here "for WORKING" uses "working" as VERB+ing form, which acts as a gerund here..
the role of a gerund is ofcourse similar to NOUN and here it acts as an OBJECT OF PREPOSITION...

To base form of verb is INFINITIVE and used here accordingly..
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sowragu, chetan has already answered your first question.

sowragu wrote:

Yes. The easiest way to understand this, is that ability to love could as well have been ability to drink or ability to laugh. It's easy to identify that drink and laugh are verbs.

Quote:

Yeah this is a bit of a unique thing with to. It can serve as two completely different structures:

i) Infinitives: to + verb. For example: to eat, to run, to go, to love etc.
ii) Prepositions: to + noun. For example: to New York, to SFO, to Mary etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
A vs D

Work vs working

Hallmark vs hallmarks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Freud counted the ability to love, along with the capacity work, as a [#permalink]