Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [5]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2147 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [1]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [3]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: From 490 to 700+ [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hello nivikumar93 ... welcome to the community.

Below is what I would generally do ( I have mentioned the same to some other new users :-) ). Hope the same works well for you as well.

For Verbal:
1. For RC I would use of the link below to make a habbit to do atleast 2 RC each day and going through the discussions therein.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-rc-b ... l#p2110839
https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-project- ... 87783.html
**Donot forget to thank workout & SajjadAhmad. :)

2. For CR .... try to master 1 topic at a time ( 1 golden rule : know why the wrong choice is wrong)
3. For SC .... Try to cover the basic rules & GMATNinja vedios before practice ( 1 golden rule : know why the wrong choice is wrong)

For Quant :
1. Use GMAT Club pdf (free !! :) )to refresh and/or learn the concepts tested in the exam.
2. Start practicing 500 level Qs at the links below, and once I reach 90% accuracy I would move to 600 level.
3. Similarly at 600 level I would strive for 80-85% accuracy and then move to 700 level.
4. And then continue with 700 level ..... more the merrier !!
5. Finally use GMAT Club Q-Tests if you are targetting Q48++ :)

DS : https://gmatclub.com/forum/ds-question- ... 28728.html
PS : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-ps-ques ... 27957.html

All the best !!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi nivikumar93,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. Since this Score is about 2 months old, before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long did you study before taking the GMAT? Have you been studying consistently since you took the GMAT?
2) What study materials have you used so far during all of your studies?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks during your studies (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
From 490 to 700+ [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Best Books

For Concept Learning - Manhattan Quant Guides, Manhattan Verbal Guides. For CR: The Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible. For RC: Aristotle RC Grail

For Practice - The Official Guide for GMAT 2015-19, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review 2015-19, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2015-19

Top Courses (Budget)

1. e-GMAT, Empower GMAT, and Math Revolution (Only Math)

You can start with Quant or Verbal which suits you. If you have started with Quant then Start with the Arithmetic but if started with verbal then start first with Sentence correction. One month for learning Quant concepts and one month for practicing question and same practice for Verbal. During you Practicing question don't forget to make an error log to track your weak areas after practice. Once you know your weak areas revise your Concepts related to those areas and do some more Practice. 6-8 CATs are enough for practice the real tests. Make your Stamina for sitting 3 hours in the test and don't study more than 2 hours in one sit and 4 hours per day

Top CATs for Practice

Official GMAC CATs, Manhattan CATs, Kaplan CATs and GMAT Club Quant CATs

nivikumar93 wrote:
Hi guys,

I gave my first mock in Jan, i got 490(Q- 16, V -35).. When i saw the score i was devastated as i thought i was strong in quants ( used to score good in maths and i am an engineering graduate).what i found out was i took a lot of time to solve one question and ran out of time.. time management was an issue and i made a lot of silly mistakes even the questions i could have got correct was wrong because i made simple calculation error. The same thing happened in my second mock too and ended up in the same score. Now i have started to focus on each topic everyday in Quants. So can anyone help me out to figure out a way to overcome my shortcoming and help me chalk out a study plan to score 700+ or i am being unrealistic? ( my application deadline is in October and i am planning to give the exam by june)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi nivikumar93,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. To answer your question, your goal of a 700+ is realistic as long as you follow a through study plan and a realistic timeline. Thus, since you have plenty of time before your application is due, I recommend that you wait to take your GMAT until you are ready to do so.

Regarding how to improve your quant skills, since you have been scoring around a Q16 on your practice exams, it’s clear that you lack the GMAT quant fundamentals you need for a high score, right? Moving forward, you really need to follow a structured and linear study plan that allows you to individually learn each GMAT quant topic, starting with the foundations before moving to more advanced concepts. For example, if you are learning about Number Properties, you should develop as much conceptual knowledge about Number Properties as possible. In other words, your goal will be to completely understand properties of factorials, perfect squares, quadratic patterns, LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, and remainders, to name a few concepts. After carefully reviewing the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions, practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently address your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may consider using a self-study course, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses. You also may find it helpful to read the following articles about how to increase your GMAT quant score and the phases of preparing for the GMAT.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach back out. Good luck!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos
nivikumar93 wrote:
Hi guys,

I gave my first mock in Jan, i got 490(Q- 16, V -35).. When i saw the score i was devastated as i thought i was strong in quants ( used to score good in maths and i am an engineering graduate).what i found out was i took a lot of time to solve one question and ran out of time.. time management was an issue and i made a lot of silly mistakes even the questions i could have got correct was wrong because i made simple calculation error. The same thing happened in my second mock too and ended up in the same score. Now i have started to focus on each topic everyday in Quants. So can anyone help me out to figure out a way to overcome my shortcoming and help me chalk out a study plan to score 700+ or i am being unrealistic? ( my application deadline is in October and i am planning to give the exam by june)

Hi nivikumar93

Your verbal score is way better than your Quant score.So, I suggest you improve your Quant score first.Q 16 indicates you are lagging basics.First complete Manhattan Quant PDFs, they will help to build your basics and foundation and then practice on GMAT club and couple that with GMAT club tests.They are really good for improving Quant score.

All the best!

Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nivikumar93,

Since you plan on taking the test in June, you do have quite some time to get to your target score. Clearly Quant is your area of weakness. Your score suggests that you would need to start from the very basics in Quant and build your way up. To know how much to study in Quant and how much you can leverage your strength in Verbal to reach your target score, use the Personalized Study Planner. This planner will help you
    1. Determine milestones (target abilities) at the sub-sectional level to reach your target score
    2. Estimate of the amount of time required
    3. Sequence of Study and a daily plan

Hope this helps. In case you would like to discuss the strategy to execute the plan, feel free to write to us at support@e-gmat.com referencing this post.

Regards,
Aditee
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts