GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

From 520 in Mocks to 740 in Actual GMAT.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
CAT Tests
From 520 in Mocks to 740 in Actual GMAT.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Dec 2018, 09:16
Introduction: This story is for someone who is a struggler, who has lost contact with academics big time and who takes higher than average time to grasp things. It took me 15 months to get to 740(Q50, V40). Yes, It did not take the conventional 3 or 4 months but 15 agonizing months with considerable peaks and valleys to get to 740.

Background: I am a married 30 year old individual and working as a Gas Turbine expert in the biggest manufacturing enterprise in India in the energy sector for 8+ years. My job involves stints of significant travel and, as a result, I am either travelling or stationed at different customer sites for more than 50% of the days in a year. The work at sites demands long hours of significant physical and mental attention, resulting in less time for concentrated studies. I was able to devote not more than half an hour each day while working at sites. I used to cover up for the lost part after returning back to my home unit. As a result of this constant touring, I was unable to put concentrated effort for significant number of days at a stretch, a capability essential to master GMAT exam.

Preparation countdown: I started my preparation in July 2017 and accordingly, gave my first mock on 10th July 2017 to judge my present ability and scored 520-Q42 & V21 on Veritas prep mock. Witnessing this dismal result, I realized that I had to shrug off all the preconceived notion of me having excelled in academics during my school days and will have to put in decent number of hours of study to remove the rust accumulated on my brain because of academic lethargy.

I planned for 4 month of preparation so that I would have sufficient time to apply in Round 2 of B schools. With utmost brute force, I started verbal preparation with Manhattan books. By the end of August, I finished the complete Manhattan set. During this time period, I also finished GMAR CR Bible which is referred as The master book for Critical Reasoning. Excited because of course theory completion with preparation timelines monitored keenly, I jumped onto practicing problems from OG-13 including Diagnostics. Little did I realize that I was still a naïve fish in the GMAT ocean. My total accuracy was hardly around 50%. Moreover, for decent number of questions, I couldn’t comprehend the OG explanations. I was left stunned and speechless with absolutely no idea about how to further navigate the boat of my GMAT preparation. Feeling disheartened, I left verbal studies midway and to find some solace I started quant preparation. It was already mid October 2017 by this time. I was managing all this competitive stuff with my touring life. One advantage of travelling by road or train and touring life is that new ideas are usually triggered when we are out of comfort zone and when we are subjected to unique life experiences. With the thought of acing the GMAT puzzle continuously hovering in my mind, I kept researching, researching and researching. This research brought me in touch with GMATCLUB-the mecca for GMAT & MBA queries.

A sense of rejuvenation: Post registering on GMATCLUB, I was receiving webinar notifications from various GMAT PREP companies and the first webinar I witnessed keenly was of “BYJUS Reading Comprehension”. The webinar was enlightening and intriguing. I found BYJUS as a valid candidate to emancipate me from my continued verbal struggles. However, with some wisdom prevailing, I needed to analyze other online courses too. I listened to similar webinar of e-gmat on Reading Comprehension, and here I found the difference. The BYJUS webinar focused more on tips and tricks to master the RC whereas e-gmat focused more on basics and master comprehension to master RC. I realized that I had already failed after going through conventional way of reading Manhattan books. Hence, I needed a course that had a higher probability of improving my verbal course in spite of the higher preparation time that I would have to devote. I decided to proceed with e-gmat. The stellar reviews on GMATCLUB further strengthened my intuition to proceed with e-gmat. I also gave up on my plan to give GMAT by the year end and instead planned to write GMAT only when I start getting consistent 700+ score in mocks.

Note: Booking the final exam date and then preparing for the exam works for most of the candidates. Planning to write exam only when one is ready may result in complacency creeping in one`s blood. Adopting an approach that one is efficient with is vital part of the complete strategy.

A new journey: I started with e-gmat around October end. I religiously followed the order in which I needed to study the individual sections. However, I far exceeded the total time that I actually devoted to the individual sections. I started with an ability of around 47% in Sentence Correction and devoted 2 months totally to Sentence Correction module. Parallely, I also attempted the OG Quizzes and spent almost 30 minutes to 1 hour on one wrong question just to understand the concepts in which I had gone wrong. Thoroughly understanding the wrong question was very essential to my preparation. The animated modules of e-gmat improve upon the efficiency of a student. What one could learn by books in 2 hours one can learn the same in e-gmat within 30 minutes. The retention ability also remains on a higher side. The sequential order of understanding concepts and then attempting the relevant questions ensures that the individual becomes proficient in the same concept. Each sub section of Sentence Correction is like Gold. Understanding meaning of the original sentence becomes the core for acing a problem. Sentence Correction is a section in which one can improve on the ability in shortest amount of time. The remaining sections took considerably longer time for me to get into the right groove. By January end 2018, I was consistently scoring around 75% in the SC ability quizzes.

Assuming that I had mastered SC well, I jumped onto CR. I never gave a starting CR ability quiz fearing that I would get a low score. I finished the CR module in 1.5 months with the accuracy of the concept quizzes being in the range of 55-70%. All the questions in the quiz that I gave were untimed. Post finishing CR module, I gave the comprehensive CR ability quiz and scored dismal 45%. After 2 days break, I once again gave an ability quiz and again scored in the same range of approx. 45%. Disappointed and frustrated, I once again became prone to negative thoughts. The thoughts of giving up on GMAT or trying for some other study source too became prevalent. I left my CR preparation in the mid of March and jumped onto RC.

I was relatively comfortable in my RC preparation, since I had undergone Master Comprehension course before. Here, too I did not give ability quiz at the starting because of failure of low ability score. While going through the RC module I realized that I would take significant time in improving upon my CR and RC skills. Hence, I planned to solve just 2 untimed CR questions daily from scholaranium and solved 3 RCs biweekly. I carried on this mode of preparation for around 45 days and improved on my ability. In one RC customized quiz from scholoranium, I scored 97% in ability. Feeling confident, although it was more of overconfidence than confidence, I left my verbal studies and focused onto Quant.

For one month, I solved only quant questions from weak topics. GMATCLUB once again proved the savior as it has tons of questions for any particular topic. The high quality of tricky questions and solutions that Brunnel provides made me realize why the name of Brunnel commands such immense respect in the GMAT arena. If there was ever a Nobel prize in Mathematics Brunnel would have surely been a valid candidate. Completing my Quant prep, I thought that now I was pepped up to give full mocks.
I gave my full GMATPREP mock on June 04 2018 and scored 640(Q49-V30). Desolated with such a low score, I could feel my confidence deflating day by day. I went on a long tour post this incident and started reviewing my solutions almost after 1 week of giving the test. I realized that I had lost track of several concepts. The lack of continuity and absence from verbal studies for a long time were the root cause of this low score. My touring job and inefficient planning added fuel to this fire of performance decline.

Journey to the final frontier: I drafted a new plan in my attempt to conquer GMAT. I planned that in every 10 days or in fortnight I will give a mock. I will refresh my concepts in e-gmat and will solve additional OG questions. I once again went through the Assumption, Strengthen and Weaken module of e-gmat and was amazed at the kind of reformation that the CR module had undergone. By following the Concept files, I tried imbibing Pre-Thinking in my natural instincts. Pre-Thinking is indeed a boon. This Pre-Thinking primes the mind, and we are constantly on our toes while reading an RC Paragraph or a CR question stem. Apart from comprehending the passage we keep speculating that in which direction the passage will orient or what logical jump has the author taken. For RC`s , I once again made a habit to practice 3 RC`s every 2 days. Apart from OG-13 and OG-18, I was able to find old OG qstn bank from GMATCLUB. This material added to my practice material, as I was apprehensive to try Non official material on GMATCLUB. I bought Manhattan mocks for additional preparation and could hit a high of V37 and V45 in two of Manhattan tests. I gave my second GMATPREP exam after around 2.5 months and scored 740(Q-50 & V-39), although few of the questions were repeated. In this complete process, I thoroughly revised the MOCKS, spending even 1 hour each on analysis of few questions.

Unable to gauge my accurate level because of repeat questions, I bought EXAM PACK 2. Unfortunately, in exam pack too, I got few repeat questions which I had practiced from the Question bank that I got from GMATCLUB. The results were as follows:
GMATPREP EXAM PACK-2-Test:1- 760-Q50 V42
GMATPREP EXAM PACK-2-Test:2- 770-Q51 V41

Note: Repeat questions can inflate the score in two ways:
1. We have more time to answer the remaining questions, since we submit the answer of known questions in a jiffy.
2. We get questions of higher ability even though in few cases we may not be worthy of getting those questions.

Trusting my ability after giving decent number of mocks, I finally booked an EXAM DATE in the morning slot. To keep anxiety level down, I kept my daily routine intact and went to office even on the day before the exam and scored 740-Q50 V40.

Key Materials:
e-GMAT online for complete verbal preparation
• GMATCLUB Math Book & Forum Test Bank for Quant preparation
• Official Guide 13& 18 & Verbal Review 18
e-GMAT Scholoranium
• GMAT Official Question Bank- Word files that I got from GMATCLUB
• GMAT PREP MOCKS(Take repeat tests and analyse each question keenly)
Manhattan Prep for Mocks

Key Advice: For Non Natives e-GMAT can be a vital asset. The exceptional quality of content augmented with analytics driven scholoranium offered at such a steal price is what makes e-GMAT stand out from the crowd of other prep companies, but one needs to supplement e-GMAT with official questions too. Relying only on e-GMAT may not help.
The GMATCLUB forum and Manhattan forums provide unique aspects about each right and wrong answer which we wouldn`t have thought of in exam condition. These aspects can make a difference in tough questions.
From my GMAT experience, I can fairly conclude that the preparation time for an individual depends on multiple factors such as Starting ability of preparation, Target score, No. of hours one can devote and Consistency in preparation.

The END: Hats off to the people who are managing GMATCLUB website for the quality of content that they have created and managed. Apart from e-GMAT, GMATCLUB has been one forum from where I have gained immense knowledge. Hence, this debrief of mine is a humble “GURUDAKSHINA”- Honorarium- to the “GURU”- Teacher- GMATCLUB.

Originally posted by hassu13 on 28 Nov 2018, 21:04.
Last edited by hassu13 on 01 Dec 2018, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Re: From 520 in Mocks to 740 in Actual GMAT.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 01:00
You improved both quant and verbal, verbal almost doubling! It's always nice to see Indians improving quant instead of starting at 50 or 51!

Older test takers seem to feel more comfortable with taking time in prepping. Better to get the basics downpat now than to be mid-MBA and struggling with concepts. Kudos, hassu13
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 09:14
Congratulations man! You're my GMAT score twin and I too used an e-GMAT product.

Good luck with your applications!

And btw, are you referring to the user Bunuel? You might have made a typo. I too thanked him in my post today in this same forum for my quant score :D
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 21:48
Hi,
congratulations and ATB for the applications !
I am also preparing for the GMAT using e-gmat verbal resources. After lots of practice, I'm still having hard time answering CR questions within 2 mins. Can you please suggest something on how to improve my timing in CR questions.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 22:54
hassu13 wrote:
Introduction: This story is for someone who is a struggler, who has lost contact with academics big time and who takes higher than average time to grasp things. It took me 15 months to get to 740(Q50, V40). Yes, It did not take the conventional 3 or 4 months but 15 agonizing months with considerable peaks and valleys to get to 740.

Background: I am a married 30 year old individual and working as a Gas Turbine expert in the biggest manufacturing enterprise in India in the energy sector for 8+ years. My job involves stints of significant travel and, as a result, I am either travelling or stationed at different customer sites for more than 50% of the days in a year. The work at sites demands long hours of significant physical and mental attention, resulting in less time for concentrated studies. I was able to devote not more than half an hour each day while working at sites. I used to cover up for the lost part after returning back to my home unit. As a result of this constant touring, I was unable to put concentrated effort for significant number of days at a stretch, a capability essential to master GMAT exam.

Preparation countdown: I started my preparation in July 2017 and accordingly, gave my first mock on 10th July 2017 to judge my present ability and scored 520-Q42 & V21 on Veritas prep mock. Witnessing this dismal result, I realized that I had to shrug off all the preconceived notion of me having excelled in academics during my school days and will have to put in decent number of hours of study to remove the rust accumulated on my brain because of academic lethargy.

I planned for 4 month of preparation so that I would have sufficient time to apply in Round 2 of B schools. With utmost brute force, I started verbal preparation with Manhattan books. By the end of August, I finished the complete Manhattan set. During this time period, I also finished GMAR CR Bible which is referred as The master book for Critical Reasoning. Excited because of course theory completion with preparation timelines monitored keenly, I jumped onto practicing problems from OG-13 including Diagnostics. Little did I realize that I was still a naïve fish in the GMAT ocean. My total accuracy was hardly around 50%. Moreover, for decent number of questions, I couldn’t comprehend the OG explanations. I was left stunned and speechless with absolutely no idea about how to further navigate the boat of my GMAT preparation. Feeling disheartened, I left verbal studies midway and to find some solace I started quant preparation. It was already mid October 2017 by this time. I was managing all this competitive stuff with my touring life. One advantage of travelling by road or train and touring life is that new ideas are usually triggered when we are out of comfort zone and when we are subjected to unique life experiences. With the thought of acing the GMAT puzzle continuously hovering in my mind, I kept researching, researching and researching. This research brought me in touch with GMATCLUB-the mecca for GMAT & MBA queries.

A sense of rejuvenation: Post registering on GMATCLUB, I was receiving webinar notifications from various GMAT PREP companies and the first webinar I witnessed keenly was of “BYJUS Reading Comprehension”. The webinar was enlightening and intriguing. I found BYJUS as a valid candidate to emancipate me from my continued verbal struggles. However, with some wisdom prevailing, I needed to analyze other online courses too. I listened to similar webinar of e-gmat on Reading Comprehension, and here I found the difference. The BYJUS webinar focused more on tips and tricks to master the RC whereas e-gmat focused more on basics and master comprehension to master RC. I realized that I had already failed after going through conventional way of reading Manhattan books. Hence, I needed a course that had a higher probability of improving my verbal course in spite of the higher preparation time that I would have to devote. I decided to proceed with e-gmat. The stellar reviews on GMATCLUB further strengthened my intuition to proceed with e-gmat. I also gave up on my plan to give GMAT by the year end and instead planned to write GMAT only when I start getting consistent 700+ score in mocks.

Note: Booking the final exam date and then preparing for the exam works for most of the candidates. Planning to write exam only when one is ready may result in complacency creeping in one`s blood. Adopting an approach that one is efficient with is vital part of the complete strategy.

A new journey: I started with e-gmat around October end. I religiously followed the order in which I needed to study the individual sections. However, I far exceeded the total time that I actually devoted to the individual sections. I started with an ability of around 47% in Sentence Correction and devoted 2 months totally to Sentence Correction module. Parallely, I also attempted the OG Quizzes and spent almost 30 minutes to 1 hour on one wrong question just to understand the concepts in which I had gone wrong. Thoroughly understanding the wrong question was very essential to my preparation. The animated modules of e-gmat improve upon the efficiency of a student. What one could learn by books in 2 hours one can learn the same in e-gmat within 30 minutes. The retention ability also remains on a higher side. The sequential order of understanding concepts and then attempting the relevant questions ensures that the individual becomes proficient in the same concept. Each sub section of Sentence Correction is like Gold. Understanding meaning of the original sentence becomes the core for acing a problem. Sentence Correction is a section in which one can improve on the ability in shortest amount of time. The remaining sections took considerably longer time for me to get into the right groove. By January end 2018, I was consistently scoring around 75% in the SC ability quizzes.

Assuming that I had mastered SC well, I jumped onto CR. I never gave a starting CR ability quiz fearing that I would get a low score. I finished the CR module in 1.5 months with the accuracy of the concept quizzes being in the range of 55-70%. All the questions in the quiz that I gave were untimed. Post finishing CR module, I gave the comprehensive CR ability quiz and scored dismal 45%. After 2 days break, I once again gave an ability quiz and again scored in the same range of approx. 45%. Disappointed and frustrated, I once again became prone to negative thoughts. The thoughts of giving up on GMAT or trying for some other study source too became prevalent. I left my CR preparation in the mid of March and jumped onto RC.

I was relatively comfortable in my RC preparation, since I had undergone Master Comprehension course before. Here, too I did not give ability quiz at the starting because of failure of low ability score. While going through the RC module I realized that I would take significant time in improving upon my CR and RC skills. Hence, I planned to solve just 2 untimed CR questions daily from scholaranium and solved 3 RCs biweekly. I carried on this mode of preparation for around 45 days and improved on my ability. In one RC customized quiz from scholoranium, I scored 97% in ability. Feeling confident, although it was more of overconfidence than confidence, I left my verbal studies and focused onto Quant.

For one month, I solved only quant questions from weak topics. GMATCLUB once again proved the savior as it has tons of questions for any particular topic. The high quality of tricky questions and solutions that Brunnel provides made me realize why the name of Brunnel commands such immense respect in the GMAT arena. If there was ever a Nobel prize in Mathematics Brunnel would have surely been a valid candidate. Completing my Quant prep, I thought that now I was pepped up to give full mocks.
I gave my full GMATPREP mock on June 04 2018 and scored 640(Q49-V30). Desolated with such a low score, I could feel my confidence deflating day by day. I went on a long tour post this incident and started reviewing my solutions almost after 1 week of giving the test. I realized that I had lost track of several concepts. The lack of continuity and absence from verbal studies for a long time were the root cause of this low score. My touring job and inefficient planning added fuel to this fire of performance decline.

Journey to the final frontier: I drafted a new plan in my attempt to conquer GMAT. I planned that in every 10 days or in fortnight I will give a mock. I will refresh my concepts in e-gmat and will solve additional OG questions. I once again went through the Assumption, Strengthen and Weaken module of e-gmat and was amazed at the kind of reformation that the CR module had undergone. By following the Concept files, I tried imbibing Pre-Thinking in my natural instincts. Pre-Thinking is indeed a boon. This Pre-Thinking primes the mind, and we are constantly on our toes while reading an RC Paragraph or a CR question stem. Apart from comprehending the passage we keep speculating that in which direction the passage will orient or what logical jump has the author taken. For RC`s , I once again made a habit to practice 3 RC`s every 2 days. Apart from OG-13 and OG-18, I was able to find old OG qstn bank from GMATCLUB. This material added to my practice material, as I was apprehensive to try Non official material on GMATCLUB. I bought Manhattan mocks for additional preparation and could hit a high of V37 and V45 in two of Manhattan tests. I gave my second GMATPREP exam after around 2.5 months and scored 740(Q-50 & V-39), although few of the questions were repeated. In this complete process, I thoroughly revised the MOCKS, spending even 1 hour each on analysis of few questions.

Unable to gauge my accurate level because of repeat questions, I bought EXAM PACK 2. Unfortunately, in exam pack too, I got few repeat questions which I had practiced from the Question bank that I got from GMATCLUB. The results were as follows:
GMATPREP EXAM PACK-2-Test:1- 760-Q50 V42
GMATPREP EXAM PACK-2-Test:2- 770-Q51 V41

Note: Repeat questions can inflate the score in two ways:
1. We have more time to answer the remaining questions, since we submit the answer of known questions in a jiffy.
2. We get questions of higher ability even though in few cases we may not be worthy of getting those questions.

Trusting my ability after giving decent number of mocks, I finally booked an EXAM DATE in the morning slot. To keep anxiety level down, I kept my daily routine intact and went to office even on the day before the exam and scored 740-Q50 V40.

Key Materials:
e-GMAT online for complete verbal preparation
• GMATCLUB Math Book & Forum Test Bank for Quant preparation
• Official Guide 13& 18 & Verbal Review 18
e-GMAT Scholoranium
• GMAT Official Question Bank- Word files that I got from GMATCLUB
• GMAT PREP MOCKS(Take repeat tests and analyse each question keenly)
Manhattan Prep for Mocks

Key Advice: For Non Natives e-GMAT can be a vital asset. The exceptional quality of content augmented with analytics driven scholoranium offered at such a steal price is what makes e-GMAT stand out from the crowd of other prep companies, but one needs to supplement e-GMAT with official questions too. Relying only on e-GMAT may not help.
The GMATCLUB forum and Manhattan forums provide unique aspects about each right and wrong answer which we wouldn`t have thought of in exam condition. These aspects can make a difference in tough questions.
From my GMAT experience, I can fairly conclude that the preparation time for an individual depends on multiple factors such as Starting ability of preparation, Target score, No. of hours one can devote and Consistency in preparation.

The END: Hats off to the people who are managing GMATCLUB website for the quality of content that they have created and managed. Apart from e-GMAT, GMATCLUB has been one forum from where I have gained immense knowledge. Hence, this debrief of mine is a humble “GURUDAKSHINA”- Honorarium- to the “GURU”- Teacher- GMATCLUB.

Congratulations.
Thanks a lot for this wonderful debreif.i also have been preparing for Gmat.

Is e- Gmat verbal online course sufficient for verbal?
Would you recommend any other material for verbal based on your experience?

Thanks

IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION

GMAT Club Bot
Re: From 520 in Mocks to 740 in Actual GMAT. &nbs [#permalink] 02 Dec 2018, 22:54

From 520 in Mocks to 740 in Actual GMAT.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap