Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: From 620 to 730 [#permalink]
Congrats with the excellent score! :)
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Awesome post. I am going through the same phase and I am writing my test at the end of August. Good to know you got an awesome score :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Congrats on your score. I took my first pre-studying CAT and got a 550. Hoping to boost it much closer to 700 in the coming weeks. Other than Number Properties, what would you recommend for a person who struggles with the Quant section a lot?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I'm beginning to think that the GMAC is lying when it says retakers don't really improve their grades. I don't know why they do - saying that it does possibly increases taking numbers. Retakers, we can do this! Kdomfeh, thanks for the inspiration!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Congratulations on your score and thank you for sharing you experience with us. Could you please answer the following questions:

1) You took a lot of practice CATs. How did it help you? Do you think that this number of practice CATs is optimal?
2) Could you please describe your study routine in greater detail?
3) How confident did you feel on the test day?

Quote:
I think I discovered when mental fatigue was kicking in so I slowed down around those areas

4) How much did you slow down? Does it mean that you had to speed up on first questions?
5) Was it a difficult transformation from solving problems to find the answer to plucking in numbers?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE:Underwriter (Health Care)
Send PM
Great post. I'm in the process of gathering materials to begin studying for the GMAT, so posts like these are really interesting to me. This weekend I think I'll take a practice CAT to get a baseline of where I am.

Again, great post, and great job on improving your score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Nonameee, my responses to your questions are below.

1) You took a lot of practice CATs. How did it help you? Do you think that this number of practice CATs is optimal?
==> About half-way through the practice tests, I begun to use them for reinforcing my weaknesses. My kaplan program recommends areas of improvement and I attacked it with gusto. Optimal number of CATs is relative. I took them until I felt ready.

2) Could you please describe your study routine in greater detail?
==> Most important is after each CAT I spent up to the next 3 days reviewing questions, reviewing/studying the concepts and doing as many practice questions on them until I felt comfortable. I also made my study sessions intense (2 -3 hours at a time) to simulate the stamina required for the test.

3) How confident did you feel on the test day?
==> Highly confident. This was all due to feeling I'd had done the ground work and solid on the concepts.

Quote:
"I think I discovered when mental fatigue was kicking in so I slowed down around those areas"

4) How much did you slow down? Does it mean that you had to speed up on first questions?

==> For me, slowing down was taking five-deep breaths (you can pick the number of times you want) with my eyes closed and stretching my arms. The key was to halt the built up momentum and re-engage with a clear focused mind. Metaphorically, think of it as a pit stop in a Formula One race. My breaks took no more than 8-seconds.

5) Was it a difficult transformation from solving problems to find the answer to plucking in numbers?

==> Not a bit. The tricky part I found was making the initial decision. Sometimes, I found myself debating whether to use picking numbers or a direct approach. To cure this irritation, I looked through my practice set and where possible, timed myself for say a set of 20 Qs using picking numbers and the direct approach. I repeated this on one off questions as well and found that I was answering questions much faster with better accuracy on the hard ones using picking numbers. It also helped me identify which questions were prime candidates for picking numbers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Quote:
==> Not a bit. The tricky part I found was making the initial decision. Sometimes, I found myself debating whether to use picking numbers or a direct approach. To cure this irritation, I looked through my practice set and where possible, timed myself for say a set of 20 Qs using picking numbers and the direct approach. I repeated this on one off questions as well and found that I was answering questions much faster with better accuracy on the hard ones using picking numbers. It also helped me identify which questions were prime candidates for picking numbers.

So how many sets did you use to determine the strategy of when to pick up numbers and when to solve the problem directly?

Also, you mentioned that Kaplan teaches that approach. Is it covered in greater detail? Does the approach differ for different types of questions or is it the same for all types?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
gr88 feedback n CONGRATS.. U mus b a really happy guy now ! Ur hardwork finally paid off!
.. i hav mine on july22nd...
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Please spare a minute and post the center review here :
review-gmat-centers-96476.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Thank you so much, I am right at this point in my study prep and your comments have helped me immensely, especially about the timing and fatigue, and deciding not to take my exam at 8am. Congrats on your great score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
ssowmya2108 how did your GMAT test go?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts