Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
From 720 and 730 GMATPrep to 640 Actual [#permalink]
Kudos
grumpygrandpa wrote:
Took the GMAT today. Got 640. I stared at the screen for a full minute in disbelief.

My verbal, which in the practice tests have ranged from 32-40, was at 28 today.

I thought I was doing great with Quants... thought I would get Q50 or more. I got Q49 instead.

I'm at a loss of words. I've gone through tons of content and felt great today (No time-pressure problems, no nervousness issues, never got overly stuck on one question, finished both things on time).

I thought I would get low 700s at least today...

If I take this test again and I get 700s, then I've got to say the reliability is much worse than what I thought it would be... +-30 points seems like a conservative estimate. Either my skill is just far worse than what my preptests (and yes those were fresh questions, under very real exam settings) make them out to be... or there is more luck involved with this test than I imagined.

I do think that the overall answer to my own question is... I guess my skill is far lower than what I had predicted. (I definitely couldn't have asked for a better testing environment today).

Here are my preptest scores (in the order that I took them over 2.5 months):

GMATPrep Default:
1) 730
2) 720
Exam pack 1:
1) 690
2) 680
Exam pack 2:
1) 680
GMATPrep #2 (RE-do): 710

in between these test scores I had MGMATS at 630-670ish and Veritas at 650-700ish range.

Would love to just hear back from someone.. what should I do? I will definitely re-take, but I don't even know if a tutor would help me at this point. It's been a few hours since I wrote the test, and I'm still confused as to how I could have possibly scored 640..

=)

Hi grumpygrandpa,

I'm really sorry for your low score, even that you have scored 700+ in GMATPrep. This could be caused by some unexpected reasons. In this topic, GMATNinja has delivered some reasons that could be your case.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 46658.html

In my opinions, retaking a test many times isn't a good idea. This will lead to score inflation as many test takers faced with. Save those available tests for proper usage.

Practice with PowerScore CR Bible could be good since many test takers highly recommend this book. Try to practice daily with free questions from Vertias will help to determine your current ability. Retaking OG questions could also be good to improve your skills.

When you want to take a test to estimate your score, try the test that you haven't done before. Since you have taken all available tests from GMATPrep, those tests are now no good to you. Try with Manhattan's or Veritas's.

Hope to hear good news from you. Keep fighting.
GMAT Club Bot
From 720 and 730 GMATPrep to 640 Actual [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts