It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 04:58

TODAY:

MIT Sloan Releasing 1st Wave of Interview Invites - Join GMATClub CHAT for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 770 in mock exams to 680 in real GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
From 770 in mock exams to 680 in real GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 14:24
Hi all,

After 5 months of full dedication to GMAT preparation (including notes ranging from 730 to 770 in official mocks this week), today I got a 680 in the real exam.

I think it was not due to lack of preparation, nervousness, or even luck...I am not frustrated because of the score itself but rather because of not knowing what to do next (after getting high marks in the official mock exams, I thought I was ready for the challenge)

Have anybody of you had a similar experience? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Best regards and thanks everyone,

Nicolás
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 14:33
simple bro. retake it. imo your non official software test dont matter. but if youre scoring higher on official mocks by a wide margin, which you are, retake it asap.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: From 770 in mock exams to 680 in real GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 15:04
Hi HRNF,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on the Official GMAT?
2) How did you score on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

When you took your CATs:
3) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
4) Did you take them at home?
5) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
6) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
7) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 09:02
Hi Rich

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will answer your questions one by one:

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on the Official GMAT?: I do not remember exactly but they were close to Q46 V38
2) How did you score on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)? The last one (The only I keep records of) was Q50 V45

When you took your CATs:
3) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? Yes, Excepting for the Essay
4) Did you take them at home?: Yes, I did
5) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT? No, I did not.
6) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? No, I did not
7) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE? Maybe 2-3 of the verbal, not more than that

What do you suggest?

Best regards and thanks again
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 16:23
Hi HRNF,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day.

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, seeing 'repeat' questions, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' By extension, your practice scores were not accurate.

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with (so you don't see repeat questions) and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Last edited by EMPOWERgmatRichC on 21 May 2017, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 16:56
Hi Rich,

Thanks again for your help and your nice words

1) What is your goal score?: I would like to apply to some top 5 schools, so I guess 720+ would work
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School? Hopefully, first round of this year (~september)
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to? Top 5 schools in the US

Do you have any GMAT prep CAT-like material you would suggest?

Best and thanks again,

NM
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 14:39
Hi HRNF,

While you're going to need some new CATs to work with, we have to work from the assumption that your 680 is the accurate assessment of your skills. You're actually closer to a 720+ than you probably realize, but you're going to have to make some changes to how you "see" (and respond to) the Test to hit your goal score. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam - so you CAN train to score higher. You also have plenty of time before the Round 1 application deadlines, so there's no need to 'rush' back in to retest.

1) What practice materials have you used so far (and which CATs have you used?)?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 14:42
Hi Rich,

Thanks again for your help

1) What practice materials have you used so far (and which CATs have you used?)? I have studied with the GMAT prep free CATS, + 6 official gmat exams in the older format
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week? I think that I could do 20-25 hours a week, with the goal of sitting for the exam in one month now (hopefully)

Best regards and thanks again

NM
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 16:12
think someone is trying to sell you a course lol.

probably not what you want to hear, but I think you are have un-realastic expectations. You can get a 770 on a mock but can't expect the same.

although the official questions are the best, their scores are some what biased. If you are scoring 700+ but missing a lot of easy/medium questions, than it's not counted against you much on mocks vs. the actual test.

To get a Q50 on the actual test, you pretty much have to be spot on on all sub 600 and 600-700 level questions. Not saying those people answered each question correctly, maybe they made 1-2 errors, but they will tell you they knew the first 20 questions right out of the gate.

Just for comparison, I had the office guide 2016, there are 200+ PS questions, and I went well into the 200s before I missed a question, in DS I missed one out of the first 120 or so, in CR I missed one in the entire book and I still don't agree on the answer (I know you aren't suppose to argue with an official but I still don't agree with it).

Q46 V38 are around 70th percentile, and that's where the bell curve is around for those that study. To break into the Q50 and V40 range you need a lot of work and a solid understanding of concepts and unfortunately this can't be done in a month.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 11:11
Hi HRNF,

I'm hoping that you can clarify some of the information in your prior post:

1) What study materials have you worked with?
2) When you say that you worked on 6 CATs in the "older format" - what do you mean exactly?

With a Q46/V38, you could potentially pick up all of the missing points that you're looking for in just the Quant section or just the Verbal section. Assuming that you would be able to maintain your skills in the 'other' section, you could opt to focus on one section for the next 3-4 weeks. If you'd prefer to work to improve in both sections though, then you would likely need 1-2 months - since there's a broader range of question types and Tactics that we'd have to review.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Top Contributor
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 15:16
Top Contributor
It happens--just a small lapse in concentration, a few unlucky guesses, or a lack of sleep / other extenuating circumstances can all play a role. I've taken the official GMAT 5 times, and my scores have ranged from 700 to 770 (70-point range). I've also taken all 6 GMATPrep tests, and my scores have ranged from 690 to 790 (100-point range).

As long as you cancelled your score within 72 hours, your schools will never see the 680 on the school score report. Just take it again to prove your true ability--you are allowed up to 8 attempts at the GMAT in a lifetime.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and online via Skype, since 2002.

You can download my official test-taker score report directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y8zh6qby Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan - McElroy Tutoring

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 16:59
HRNF

See if this post helps.
Also getting an ESR and sharing it for expert's views shall add two cents for your prep during retake.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

From 770 in mock exams to 680 in real GMAT   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2018, 16:59

From 770 in mock exams to 680 in real GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap