It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 06:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From the 17th century to the 19th century literacy rates all

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 357 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
From the 17th century to the 19th century literacy rates all [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2009, 11:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:28) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 12 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

From the 17th century to the 19th century literacy rates all over western Europe increased at a relatively constant rate.

A. From the 17th century to the 19th century literacy rates all over western Europe increased at a relatively constant rate
B. There was a relatively constant rate of increase from the 17th century to the 19th century of literacy rates all over western Europe
C. Literacy rates all over western Europe increased at a relatively constant rate from the 17th century to the 19th century
D. At a relatively constant rate from the 17th century to the 19th century literacy rates increased all over western Europe
E. From the 17th century to the 19th century was an increase in literacy rates all over western Europe at a relatively constant rate

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I picked C, but OA is given as A.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 817 [0], given: 99

Re: Literacy Rates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2009, 13:06
sudeep wrote:
From the 17th century to the 19th century literacy rates all over western Europe increased at a relatively constant rate.

A. From the 17th century to the 19th century literacy rates all over western Europe increased at a relatively constant rate
B. There was a relatively constant rate of increase from the 17th century to the 19th century of literacy rates all over western Europe
C. Literacy rates all over western Europe increased at a relatively constant rate from the 17th century to the 19th century
D. At a relatively constant rate from the 17th century to the 19th century literacy rates increased all over western Europe
E. From the 17th century to the 19th century was an increase in literacy rates all over western Europe at a relatively constant rate

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

I pick C ...
from X to Y is the idiom ... so here X and Y are nouns .. in option A, the Y part noun is misleading ... so A is not correct.

in C, parallelism is maintaine in 'from X to Y' idiom ..

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2009, 20:57
I think comma is missing in the option A for it to be correct.
Opinions?

My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2009, 23:01
yes a comma in A would make it right. Can you please check the question one more time

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 13

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2009, 23:29
acer2knight wrote:
yes a comma in A would make it right. Can you please check the question one more time

Well this is what I got from the source. I checked it, that's why I post it to confirm.

Source is not too official, and have some minor issues.

I think we should leave the question here: not worth for further discussion in this case.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 02:47
sudeep wrote:

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

A.

C implies that constant rate changed from 17th century to 19th centure - absurd

Consider kudos for a good explanation

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 10

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 03:51
duttarupam wrote:
sudeep wrote:

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

A.

agreed .. good observation ..thx.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 04:20
duttarupam wrote:
sudeep wrote:

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

A.

Why do you think so?

I do not agree that C implies that constant rate changed.
X increased at a constant rate. (what is the problem with this sentence?)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogs, Darden, Stern, Tepper

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 19:28
Even though C seems right, I am more inflicted to A after seeing duttaroopam's explanation.

Thanks for the gimmick!

Give and Take Kudos! if you are benefitted from a post!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 37

Schools: University of Virginia

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2009, 22:08
I thought the "comma" that was supposed to be between the words "century" and "literary" can be dropped and still deemed grammatically correct (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). From time to time, I've been typing w/out the comma in between modifiers. Is it necessary to have that comma? If not, it clearly explains why A may be the best answer. If the comma is absolutely necessary, then I think the question shows one best thing that ETS likes to test: pick the best answer OUT OF the answer choices provided, so be it that the answer may not be the absolutely best in the English world...

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 37

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2009, 09:40
the sentence flow indicates as though the literacy rate increases from 17th Century to 19th Century

Placement of 'from the 17th century to the 19th century' is wrong in 'C',
and distorts the meaning of the sentence. It illogically states that the literacy rate which was '17th century' earlier, increased to '19th century' later.
Placement of the expression 'from the 17th...century' just before 'literacy rates' , corrects this error in 'A'.

these are few of the explanations that i found on the forums...I was of the opinion that A is coreect..but couldn't frame my reasoning for it!!

HTH

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2009, 17:49
i suppose C can't be right since at a constant rate from 17th century to 19th century...could it be somewhat hinting the rate is from 17th century?

at first glance, i picked C, but after looking at it again, it does look strange...

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2009, 00:53
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
the sentence flow indicates as though the literacy rate increases from 17th Century to 19th Century

Placement of 'from the 17th century to the 19th century' is wrong in 'C',
and distorts the meaning of the sentence. It illogically states that the literacy rate which was '17th century' earlier, increased to '19th century' later.
Placement of the expression 'from the 17th...century' just before 'literacy rates' , corrects this error in 'A'.

these are few of the explanations that i found on the forums...I was of the opinion that A is coreect..but couldn't frame my reasoning for it!!

HTH

This makes me clear. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Literacy Rates   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2009, 00:53