It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frustrated at this Point in the Journey......

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Frustrated at this Point in the Journey...... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 11:41
I started planning for the GMAT 5 years ago. I always wanted an MBA due in part to self improvement and in part to love of learning. After spending 5 months of hard studying, K, PR, MGMAT, OGs I felt it was time to start preparing to take simulated test, thinking real test in a month or so.

Soon after I was told my mom, who had breast cancer, only had a few weeks to live. Once I heard that I immediately took all my prep material, put them in a milk crate, put them in the closet, and concentrated on my mom.

It took me a long time to get over my mom's death and focus on my life. I eventually got caught up in the CFA program which took up all my free time. I finished this program last fall, and with the hunger for the MBA still in my mouth and with no family obligations, decided my next target was the GMAT.

I took out the crate of prep materials last November, and started to repeat the regiment I undertook 5 years prior. Started with ARCO GMAT math refresher. Soon after I was unemployed and prospects of a job in finance looked bleak. So I decided to focus the next couple of months on getting a GMAT score somewhere around 680...putting in 2-5 hours a day, working tons of questions.

I finished my foundation studying 2 weeks ago with Kaplan 800. Since I felt that I could handle these questions fairly easily I assumed I was ready for simulated tests... leading up to a mid-April GMAT, ...well conditioned mentally and pysically for the real fight.

This week I took my first CATS, 3 Princeton R CATS, and scored 550, 560, and 590...

So I am frustrated and a little discouraged at the point. I am feeling doubt in my abilities and preparation level. I thought I would be scoring higher given my disciplined long preparation. This is especially frustrating when you read about people who studied 1 month or less and are scoring in the low 600s of the bat. Also, having completed the CFA program, I am not someone unfamiliar with test taking strategies, time management, quick thinking, fast calculations, Art of War mentality, etc.

I am hoping that PR CATS do not reflect my true level. If they do, I am hoping taking more simulated CAT tests can hone my skills.

It is only within the past 2 weeks that I stumbled on this forum. So I am hoping that it can provide some assistance and guidance going forward. Any other input, etc., greatly appreciated.

Hopefully one day I can finish this thread/chapter of my life and leave a satisfying post....hopefully....

I need to slay this beast once and for all.....

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Frustrated at this Point in the Journey...... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 11:48
Keep in mind that Princeton Review tests do not present an accurate picture of your skills. You should try a GMATprep sample exam, I am sure you will probably do much better there.

Even if you are scoring low do not lose heart. Treat sample exams as opportunities to learn from mistakes and do not focus too much on the score. I scored 640 on my first CAT (MGMAT) but ultimately ended up scoring 750 in the real thing. Therefore there is always scope for improvement. Be persistent; learn from your mistakes on sample CATs; take the real thing in a confident state of mind. You might be surprised by your score.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 12:40
spgny wrote:
I started planning for the GMAT 5 years ago. I always wanted an MBA due in part to self improvement and in part to love of learning. After spending 5 months of hard studying, K, PR, MGMAT, OGs I felt it was time to start preparing to take simulated test, thinking real test in a month or so.

Soon after I was told my mom, who had breast cancer, only had a few weeks to live. Once I heard that I immediately took all my prep material, put them in a milk crate, put them in the closet, and concentrated on my mom.

It took me a long time to get over my mom's death and focus on my life. I eventually got caught up in the CFA program which took up all my free time. I finished this program last fall, and with the hunger for the MBA still in my mouth and with no family obligations, decided my next target was the GMAT.

I took out the crate of prep materials last November, and started to repeat the regiment I undertook 5 years prior. Started with ARCO GMAT math refresher. Soon after I was unemployed and prospects of a job in finance looked bleak. So I decided to focus the next couple of months on getting a GMAT score somewhere around 680...putting in 2-5 hours a day, working tons of questions.

I finished my foundation studying 2 weeks ago with Kaplan 800. Since I felt that I could handle these questions fairly easily I assumed I was ready for simulated tests... leading up to a mid-April GMAT, ...well conditioned mentally and pysically for the real fight.

This week I took my first CATS, 3 Princeton R CATS, and scored 550, 560, and 590...

So I am frustrated and a little discouraged at the point. I am feeling doubt in my abilities and preparation level. I thought I would be scoring higher given my disciplined long preparation. This is especially frustrating when you read about people who studied 1 month or less and are scoring in the low 600s of the bat. Also, having completed the CFA program, I am not someone unfamiliar with test taking strategies, time management, quick thinking, fast calculations, Art of War mentality, etc.

I am hoping that PR CATS do not reflect my true level. If they do, I am hoping taking more simulated CAT tests can hone my skills.

It is only within the past 2 weeks that I stumbled on this forum. So I am hoping that it can provide some assistance and guidance going forward. Any other input, etc., greatly appreciated.

Hopefully one day I can finish this thread/chapter of my life and leave a satisfying post....hopefully....

I need to slay this beast once and for all.....

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 2

Schools: Tepper '11

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 15:34
Those books are outdated. Go get OG11 and download GMATprep, start fresh.

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2009, 16:39
Tarmac wrote:

Thanks.... I did use that one, the purple one, and the green one along with MGMAT. I definitely plan on using GMATprep going forward,...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2009, 13:12
Tarmac wrote:

You might as well start totally new and get the most up to date content which would be the 12th edition guide, which is out at Amazon. I got it at Borders yesterday and it has about 900 official questions, although about 60% overlap with old ones.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Frustrated at this Point in the Journey......   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2009, 13:12

Frustrated at this Point in the Journey......

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap