GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 00:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Full Ride vs. Partial tuition fellowship in Early Decision

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Full Ride vs. Partial tuition fellowship in Early Decision  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 14:11
Hi, Congrats to everyone here who got good news from b-schools recently. And wishing the best to the ones who haven't yet - keep going at it guys.

I need help - I was fortunate enough to get some good news myself even though it has put me in a bind (a great one fortunately :) ).

I have admits from two of the Top 10 b schools. One was an Early Decision (ED) application - lets call it College X. I had submitted my application for the other school almost a month before College X gave me a decision. College X was also very slow at giving me news on scholarships so I left my College Y applications in place. College X only got back with news of partial scholarship AFTER my interviews with College Y was done and all I had to do was wait for results.

Now the second b-school (College Y) has gotten back recently with news of an admit backed by a full tuition scholarship.

Put simply, the difference in scholarship amounts is $80K.

To be fair, I do want to go to College X (ED application) for personal reasons. However, professionally, both schools are kind of the same - not a huge difference in ranking or prestige or career prospects. But $80K is making this decision much tougher!

I would like to write to College X to see if they are willing to match / increase the financial support they are offering given the magnitude of the difference. My problem is, I am not sure if it is safe to mention the offer from College Y given that I had applied to College X in Early Decision - I have paid a deposit already. I don't want my offer rescinded as College X is still my top choice despite the huge difference in money (I am still thinking through this). However, College X was very slow with their scholarship offer and I feel I had no choice but to pursue other options meanwhile. Given my situation, I cannot possibly afford all tuition by myself.

How do I write to the ad com at College X? What should I say? Should I mention that I had let my application to College Y stay in place because they did not give me any info on the Scholarships and financing was a make or break aspect for me? Deeply appreciate any advice here. This community has been instrumental to my success and I hope to get some effective suggestions - thanks guys.

Mentioning the timeline of events below so you understand this better -
1) Day 000 - College X ED application submitted
2) Day 030 - College Y application submitted
3) Day 042 - College X gives me an interview invite
3) Day 049 - College X gives me an admit. No update from them on scholarships.
4) Day 056 - College X deposit paid to block my seat as part of ED Still no update from College X on scholarships.
5) Day 082 - College Y interview done Still no update from College X on scholarships.
7) Day 104 - College X finally extends a partial scholarship I leave College Y application untouched because all the process is done anyway
8) Day 114 - College Y confirms admit and offers a full scholarship
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18208
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Full Ride vs. Partial tuition fellowship in Early Decision  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 14:32
Welcome to GMAT Club and congratulations about your good fortunes.

It is funny how whenever there is an ED, it is always College X or School Y.

The question is whether School X with ED has asked you to sign a binding statement that required you upon hearing a positive admit decision to withdraw from all other applications. If yes, then going and asking them for more money is not prudent, let's just say. They may be slightly offended.

P.S. there are many discussions about ED'ing while applying to other schools. Here are a few to look up last year's wisdom:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ren ... 16350.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/dilemma-with ... 87924.html
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Full Ride vs. Partial tuition fellowship in Early Decision   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2018, 14:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Full Ride vs. Partial tuition fellowship in Early Decision

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne