GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Gave Gmat today 680(lowest among all mocks). Reattempt in 30. Advice?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Gave Gmat today 680(lowest among all mocks). Reattempt in 30. Advice?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 05:20
Hello,
680: Q39,V32,IR6 ( Devastating)
I have been preparing for past 3 months and have given around 14 mocks. (10 Princeton Review to build stamina and 4 gmat prep[2 new ones and 2 on the old software]) . I got 680 today Q49 and V32.
I am devastated as i wanted something above 700. Mock scores,
PR: 640,750,650,780,770,720,690,690,700,720
GMAT PREP SOFT: 720,770
Gmat new Online: 750,730,retake(770)

material followed: OG13,16,18 OG18VR, and advanced quants like bunuel's collection(which i found really good to build some solid back). I did one SC topic wise material that i found here on GC,and same for CR, but now i remember most of the answers to OG questions so i dont feel them challenging my mind
I know i did a blunder with my timing as i always finished well in time so never paid attention and in the real exam i had less than 2 minutes for last question for quant and verbal 6 minutes for last 7 questions.
and i had to guess alot in between to even reach that point.
I found quant to be a bit on the easier side but with the timing thing,alas. Verbal was quite a challenge as i found CR to be quiet difficult. I need atleast 720 now. I wanted to know, what material could be followed now, and how much time should i consider before giving a retest?
VP
VP
G
Re: Gave Gmat today 680(lowest among all mocks). Reattempt in 30. Advice?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 05:27
Hi Pranay, it might be a good idea to order the ESR, to see what exactly went wrong behind the V32. I understand that currently you believe it's CR, but ESR might throw up a surprise.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

examPAL Representative
G
Re: Gave Gmat today 680(lowest among all mocks). Reattempt in 30. Advice?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 05:50
Hi pranaybhasin,

I'm sorry you didn't get the score you were aiming for, this is never a fun experience.
As this was your first real GMAT, keep in mind that your score could be due mostly to nerves, especially as you mentioned that your timing on the exam was significantly different from mock test timing.
Moreover, it sounds like most of your studies up till now have been book-based, with the OG or with the forums here. Is there any reason you haven't taken a structured course? It is very likely that there are many small tips, techniques and strategies (including timing-related strategies) that you have missed due not to lack of skill, but to a lack of awareness of what is out there. Teaching these skills in a structured manner is what courses excel at and taking a course just might supply you with the ingredients you are currently lacking.

To give more specific advice, I'd appreciate the answers to a few questions:
1. As suggested above, consider ordering an ESR. Not only will this give you information about success rate in specific sections, but also about success rate over time (as the test progressed) and about timing in general (which types of questions took you how long). All of these are very useful for debugging, and while they aren't perfect, they do provide a good starting point.
2. When you took your CATs, did you take them in conditions as similar as possible to the actual exam? Without pausing between or within sections, without help from a phone or a friend, at the same time of day, etc. ?
3. In your studies, have you built up and used an error log? Are you currently capable of identifying which types of questions / solution approaches you excel at and which you struggle with?

Feel free to PM me for further details or to send your ESR here for a more detailed analysis.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 07:24
Thanks to you both i will surely be ordering the ESR.
DavidTutorexamPAL: Yes, i have taken plenty of CATs and imitated the actual cats to the extent that i could. taking precise breaks and everything. i took them pretty seriously. And yes i have attended the princeton review course but i do not find the usual tips and tricks my cup of tea. I am an engineer and pretty much cope up for them with my calculation speed. But yes, i feel how you might point this out as a mistake. But IDK i have tried, but i find avoiding tricks to be an aid to me. Apart from all that, the main issue that you pointed out is of error log. I have maintained it quite well and revised the mistakes too, but i am never sure on what i lack. Specially in Verbal. I might very easily solve a question once, and may do it wrong the next time. or may do 10 CR correctly of the a type and do 10 wrong of the same type. i can provide you with all the mocks accuracy but everything sums to above 80. Today , i felt that it was a bit difficult for me to actually choose between the last 2 options on verbal. I might do a good 2/3 split but then stick at the end between the last 2 options.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: CUHK '21 (II)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 07:31
If CR is your weak area that you think , can you please tell me what type of CR you actually faced in GMAT test and have you practiced 700 level CRs in your practice because I can tell you one think Princeton CR are not of any level , I myself had taken their coaching so their verbal is not upto that level what I felt.
If you want material to practice tough CR please PM me with your email id more than happy to share.

What to do if you are new to GMAT:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-if-you-are-new-272708.html#p2108758

GMAC official guides : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-official-guides-the-master-directory-links-240610.html#p1854935

Give me kudos if you like it , it's totally harmless :)

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 08:39
pranaybhasin

It sounds like you're not entirely sure why you get CR questions wrong, which suggests that you don't really have a structured method of approaching them.
I would consider booking a 1-1 class or two with a tutor to work specifically on CR questions or, at the minimum, going over the CR section of a structured course.

Moreover, though Q49 is excellent and is a testament to your engineering skills, boosting it up to Q51 or even just Q50 would make getting a 720 much easier. Once again, a 1-1 session or some form of expert analysis can help you understand what you're lacking.

In terms of specific scheduling, be in touch with us here and we'll be happy to build you a specific plan, the details depend quite a bit on the initial assessment of 'what did you get wrong' and 'where are you now'.

Let us know when you have that ESR and best of luck!

Orion Director of Academics
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 09:58
One of the things that stuck out to me was what you said about your error log. How are you using your error log? Are you just putting down the mistake you made and moving on, or are you taking the time to really dissect what went wrong in your thinking?

One of the most important aspects of the error long is that it can give you a space to really think about the specific thought processes that led you to the wrong answer. Record those in the moment (or after you've finished a short set) and really dig deep. Compare your thought process to that of the explanation. What are the differences between the two? Metacognition - especially thinking about your mistakes - helps you identify your strengths and weakness. This practice is also tied to an increased ability to adapt what you’ve learned to new contexts (important on the GMAT since you need to use the same reasoning to solve different questions even if you don't see the same problems themselves). Categorize your mistakes into bigger categories so that you can see the trend - and then attack that trend. It's hard and it's going to mean that you may do fewer questions in a session (at first) but it will mean that you'll learn a whole lot more from the questions that you do end up doing!

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 01:06
Hello Everyone,

Sorry was too depressed even to come back here. But i have started preparing again, took Powerscore CR guide and GMAT club grammar book for sc. To revise quants i am attempting OG 18 quant review and Bunuels all in one for hard ones.

My main reason to come back here was to tell that my esr is available. Though i have read it, but i need some experts advice as how to go ahead from here. '

LauraOrion: Hello Laura, yes you are correct. I maintained a very good error log and i still have that log, but the problem is i never pondered over my mistakes. Though i revised them many times, but i think the only thing i was ever able to achieve was to do them so many times that i crammed everything. Anyway, I Have booked my test for 18th of September 2018 and i have about a months time.

Anyone who can, please reply here so that i can send my esr through dm. Though i am already sending it to you DavidTutorexamPAL. Thanks for your help everyone!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Gave Gmat today 680(lowest among all mocks). Reattempt in 30. Advice? &nbs [#permalink] 13 Aug 2018, 01:06

Gave Gmat today 680(lowest among all mocks). Reattempt in 30. Advice?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap