GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 16:21

Gmatbusters' Weekly Quant Quiz

Join here 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

General Consortium Inquiry

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge
General Consortium Inquiry  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 07:00
Hi,

I’m planning on applying to B school this Fall, and I recently came across the Consortium common application. From what I’ve read so far, people who apply through the Consortium are able to use a common application, which is a time and money saver, to apply to up to 6 schools.

Under Application Instructions on the Consortium website, it states that, “Membership: Consortium membership is treated separately from school admittance. Once you are accepted to a school, your commitment to The Consortium’s mission will be evaluated. However, if you are admitted and granted membership, you must enroll in a member school program to enjoy the benefits. Membership is not transferrable to non-Consortium schools. Individual schools may offer you school-specific, merit-based scholarships that are not related to Consortium membership or fellowship decisions.”

I’m trying to figure out whether Consortium should only be used by applicant’s that fulfill the aforementioned criteria. I’ve done some community service, but I can’t say that I have fully exhibited commitment to the Consortium mission. Should I not try to apply through the Consortium then? I want to apply through the Consortium to take advantage of a common application to save money and time, but I doubt I will be granted membership to the Consortium, which I would understand and be okay with. Would this be an issue for admission to membership schools? Would this reflect poorly on my application? If not, then doesn’t this seem too good to be true? Why isn’t everyone using the Consortium to apply then? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: General Consortium Inquiry  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 11:37
Are you an under-represented minority (e.g., African-American, Hispanic-American, Native-American)? I think you should read their entire website, specifically their mission, and you’ll be able to get a better sense of what they’re looking for.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 12:32
NickPapagiorgio wrote:
Are you an under-represented minority (e.g., African-American, Hispanic-American, Native-American)? I think you should read their entire website, specifically their mission, and you’ll be able to get a better sense of what they’re looking for.

What if I'm not? I know that people who are not under-represented minorities also use the Consortium to apply..
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 12:57
That’s true but they are also people who are heavily involved in advancing the well-being of these disadvantaged groups. The type of experience that would highly be looked upon whether you’re a URM or not would be organizations such as Big Brothers Big Sisters and The Boys and Girls Club.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.51

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 15:03
DTW123 wrote:
Hi,

I’m planning on applying to B school this Fall, and I recently came across the Consortium common application. From what I’ve read so far, people who apply through the Consortium are able to use a common application, which is a time and money saver, to apply to up to 6 schools.

Under Application Instructions on the Consortium website, it states that, “Membership: Consortium membership is treated separately from school admittance. Once you are accepted to a school, your commitment to The Consortium’s mission will be evaluated. However, if you are admitted and granted membership, you must enroll in a member school program to enjoy the benefits. Membership is not transferrable to non-Consortium schools. Individual schools may offer you school-specific, merit-based scholarships that are not related to Consortium membership or fellowship decisions.”

I’m trying to figure out whether Consortium should only be used by applicant’s that fulfill the aforementioned criteria. I’ve done some community service, but I can’t say that I have fully exhibited commitment to the Consortium mission. Should I not try to apply through the Consortium then? I want to apply through the Consortium to take advantage of a common application to save money and time, but I doubt I will be granted membership to the Consortium, which I would understand and be okay with. Would this be an issue for admission to membership schools? Would this reflect poorly on my application? If not, then doesn’t this seem too good to be true? Why isn’t everyone using the Consortium to apply then? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You will still need to complete all of the school-specific essays for every school you are applying. You will also have to complete two Consortium essays (one about your ST/LT goals and one about your commitment to the mission) and submit a recommendation that will attest to your efforts toward the Consortium mission. Yes, it is cheaper, but the only time you're really saving is on the school recommendation (one form), sending GMAT scores, and the other data entry items. If you are not accepted into the Consortium, then I believe you will not be eligible for Consortium fellowships/financial aid from the schools that accept you. Majority of the scholarships given are Consortium fellowships and occasionally, another school will match the fellowship if they really want you, but the financial aid process is very different than the regular admission process.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 08:52
f14912a wrote:
DTW123 wrote:
Hi,

You will still need to complete all of the school-specific essays for every school you are applying. You will also have to complete two Consortium essays (one about your ST/LT goals and one about your commitment to the mission) and submit a recommendation that will attest to your efforts toward the Consortium mission. Yes, it is cheaper, but the only time you're really saving is on the school recommendation (one form), sending GMAT scores, and the other data entry items. If you are not accepted into the Consortium, then I believe you will not be eligible for Consortium fellowships/financial aid from the schools that accept you. Majority of the scholarships given are Consortium fellowships and occasionally, another school will match the fellowship if they really want you, but the financial aid process is very different than the regular admission process.

Are you at a disadvantaged for receiving a scholarship from the school if you apply through the consortium?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.51

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 14:47
This is a question I would ask the individual schools and/or Consortium. I do know that the Consortium fellowship draft is in March, but not sure if you can request they consider your application for other scholarships prior to the draft in March.
mba2018pls wrote:
f14912a wrote:
DTW123 wrote:

Are you at a disadvantaged for receiving a scholarship from the school if you apply through the consortium?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: General Consortium Inquiry &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jul 2018, 14:47

General Consortium Inquiry

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap