GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 04:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics

Geneva private tutoring

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Geneva private tutoring  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 21:46
Hi All,

First of all let me thank you for your time reading this post and for all the information you might be able to provide.

I am based in Geneva and I am looking to end up my preparation by means of private tutoring. I would very much appreciate if you could give me any information about tutors around here, I would prefer it to be in person rather than online and some 4/6 hours a week since now until August 21st (test date). Details about my previous preparation are to be shared in private, but please note that I do not start my preparation now (eg, I'm not looking for general classes, but rather specific tailor-made study).

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Best,
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Geneva private tutoring  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 11:56
Hi bpegenaute,

You're asking for a rather specific resource, but it's possible that what you "want" and what you actually "need" (to hit your Score Goal) are not the same thing. Earlier this year, you posted a Study Plan/time (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/coach-huntin ... l#p1998374). Did you end up following that plan?

There are a variety of Experts in the forums here who could potentially help you to achieve your Goals, but before I (or anyone else) can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) Have you taken the Official GMAT? If you have, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to (re)take the GMAT?
7) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
8) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 22:40
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi bpegenaute,

You're asking for a rather specific resource, but it's possible that what you "want" and what you actually "need" (to hit your Score Goal) are not the same thing. Earlier this year, you posted a Study Plan/time (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/coach-huntin ... l#p1998374). Did you end up following that plan?

There are a variety of Experts in the forums here who could potentially help you to achieve your Goals, but before I (or anyone else) can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) Have you taken the Official GMAT? If you have, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply

I started my preparation earlier in the year with Manhattan Prep and followed their online course, due to unforeseen personal/professional circumstances I had to stop my studies 4 weeks before test day, nonetheless I decided to go through and take the test. As you can imagine the result wasn't good.

I am now back in preparation since a couple of weeks, following a plan outlined by one of Manhattan's tutors, but I would like to understand the benefits of private 1-2-1 tutoring towards my goal of 670/700, bearing in mind I will be sitting in August 23th (with the possibility of delaying to August 30th).

Here the answers to your specific questions:

Studies:
Month and a half very intermittent at the beginning of the year, insensitively for two weeks now.

Manhattan Pre books and OG

Earlier in the year:
01.22.18 540 Q38 V27
02.05.18 580 Q38 V31
12.19.18 580 Q40 V31

More recent
05.30.18 570 Q37 V31
07.11.18 590 Q39 V32

I took one test last year with close to no prep at all to see how the test was and knowing what I could be putting myself against: 09.14.2017 460 Q27 V27 IR4 AWA3.0
I took the test even after stopping prep at the beginning of the year 03.27.18 540 Q40 V24 IR7 AWA5.5 (during the test I felt extremely anxious on verbal, which made me wish though the answers finishing some 10 minutes before time). Enhanced report available upon request.

Goals:
670/700
August 23rd
September 1st is the last deadline
Would prefer to answer this privately

I do understand it is a long way to go, which is why I am looking at surrounding myself with the best advisors which, as you very well pointed out, could tell me what I need instead of what I want to have

Thank you very much for your time,

B
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 18:20
Hi bpegenaute,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, all of your CAT score results (going back 8 months) - and your Official Score (in March) show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 570 +/- a few points). Those types of similar outcomes - over such a long period of time - imply that you have gotten 'stuck' at this particular score level.

With an August 23rd Test Date, you have about 5 weeks of study time remaining. Raising a 590 to a 670+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study (and possibly longer if you truly are stuck at this level) - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You might have to consider pushing back your Test Date and application plans though.

1) What would be the next application deadline for the Program that you're interested in after September 1st?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 21:48
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi bpegenaute,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, all of your CAT score results (going back 8 months) - and your Official Score (in March) show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 570 +/- a few points). Those types of similar outcomes - over such a long period of time - imply that you have gotten 'stuck' at this particular score level.

With an August 23rd Test Date, you have about 5 weeks of study time remaining. Raising a 590 to a 670+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study (and possibly longer if you truly are stuck at this level) - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You might have to consider pushing back your Test Date and application plans though.

1) What would be the next application deadline for the Program that you're interested in after September 1st?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Dear Rich,

Once again thank you for your message

I understand what you say and I appreciate very much your inputs, as of now a couple of weeks now I am fully committed to studying GMAT, with no other full-time requirements I can easily pull work-day schedule study sessions (with breaks every 1h30/2h00).

Due to a series of circumstances there is no later application date for me, either I get the score now and start business school in January 2019, either I get back to full-time employment and swap my masters to an EMBA version in or around 2020.

I am pretty confident that with 1-2-1 guided study focused on my main weaknesses in both verbal and quant I can make it to 670+, or at least I would have give it a fair try with all the possible ressources around me. I am not saying it will be easy, but I am ready to go for it, whatever it takes.

Thanks,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Geneva private tutoring &nbs [#permalink] 18 Jul 2018, 21:48

Geneva private tutoring

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap