GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 12:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Getting Demoralized with low Scores, what should be most helpful?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '19
Getting Demoralized with low Scores, what should be most helpful?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 07:13
Hey Experts

I've been studying for GMAT since 10th of OCT last year, have already finished solving OG-16 quant and verbal.

Used diagnostic test of MGMAT 1st score was 420 test date 11 OCT 16 (split dont remember)

2nd MGMAT take 530 (split dont remember) NOV 18th

3rd Kaplan Diagnostic 590 (Q-41, V-30) Jan 19th

Target score 720 I am just getting worried that How will I cross 700 barrier as for now know my weakness are verbal RC , Quant Few sections.

Can you suggest me a way to do it. any help or suggestions of your expert experience would help lots.

Thanks
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Re: Getting Demoralized with low Scores, what should be most helpful?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 08:57
What have you done to learn the content tested by the GMAT? Working OG problems is a really hard way to learn the content - those are much better used to test your ability to deal with the content you have already learned. The CATs will show how well you are progressing overall.

There are tons of ways to learn the content - that's why all these test prep companies exist. Find something that works for your situation: learning needs, availability, price, etc. Make sure you find something that gives you a good review of the fundamentals because that is what you need to improve your score.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Getting Demoralized with low Scores, what should be most helpful?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 12:00
Hi KaranKarira,

You've made some fantastic improvements so far (improving from a 420 to 590 is impressive), but you have not defined HOW you've been studying. I'd like to know a bit more about your studies and timeline/goals:

1) What materials have you been using?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 11:31
KyleWiddison wrote:
What have you done to learn the content tested by the GMAT? Working OG problems is a really hard way to learn the content - those are much better used to test your ability to deal with the content you have already learned. The CATs will show how well you are progressing overall.

There are tons of ways to learn the content - that's why all these test prep companies exist. Find something that works for your situation: learning needs, availability, price, etc. Make sure you find something that gives you a good review of the fundamentals because that is what you need to improve your score.

KW

Hello KW

Initially I joined a personal tutor and started my studies for GMAT. As I had no clue what should be done towards it.
Was on leaves from my office on medical grounds (had decided to take a leap, doing MBA and switching my career to Managerial area, have experience
in power generation sector of around 40 months). Had to leave my job as both study place and workplace were far off from each other(Had no clue, experts like you guys could train us online). Resigned on 17 December 2015.

Was guided to read and solve on my own the OG-16 just after a little briefing up from my tutor.(IT WAS HARD U SAID IT RIGHT) (used to ask doubts for the individual sections AWA,Q n Verbal and got them cleared, as if I was on my own, despite of paying him in full). Started on OCT-10th 2015. with first diagnostic test without any knowledge of what was GMAT. Scored 420 MGMAT free practice test.

Without any knowledge tips or tricks or deep understanding of what actually the test wants to get from you. Gave another diagnostic MGMAT on 18 NOV i guess Scored 530

Then understood such a tutoring is of no use so joined a library, got Kaplan paperback with 5 free CATS and ample of worthy explaination learned verbal sc, cr and rc was having trouble with rc but was getting late as 2 month had already passed pondering over useless things and full day daily schedule of 6hr study time including sundays as well as festival days(watched youtube videos of gmat tutoring as well as did some verbal sc questions). Gave my 3rd diagnostic on 17th Jan i guess scoring 590 Kaplan 1st diagnostic (without preparing quant and weakness in RC as well) (Q41,v30) (Told my tutor about it No Response!!)

I personally am aware after finishing my quant from kaplan premium paperback and getting more detailed research over verbal RC (where i mostly lag) would be able to get 640approx. on my own. But its not where it all ends up. As now i am on my own jobless, situations are shouting out loud do or make plan B. which for now I dont wanna turn towards. As wanna solely focus and boost myself towards 720 nothing less than that.

You are an expert sitting up there making change in peoples life, for now I am totally wired up and turned off, need some charge, as I suppose I messed up with this Sept-16 entry, no Idea yes or no, Will i have to shoot up for 2017 sessions. need to wrap up GMAT as its only 40% of the total game, 2 months max can be dedicated, full time, self learner, low bank balance(to be frank, for heavily charged prep courses). Would you suggest me what is a way out.

The whole story is infront of you now.

Thanks (blessings for being so helpful)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 11:56
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi KaranKarira,

You've made some fantastic improvements so far (improving from a 420 to 590 is impressive), but you have not defined HOW you've been studying. I'd like to know a bit more about your studies and timeline/goals:

4) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

Rich

hello EMPOWERgmatRichC

You are quiet getting me well on track as you asked me some real right questions.

1) I've had started with GMAT OG-16 as had some local tutor who suggested me to start with it. (Was a bad Idea as had no clues what was going on)
Tutor didnt help much had paid $250 for the course. (the only useful thing i got was $38 OG-16 & $55 Kaplan premier )
started studying Kaplan premier paperback after finishing OG-16 and giving 2nd diagnostic test in which I scored 530 MGMAT after one month of initiating my studies. For now I am studying Kaplan Quant section as I am done with verbal with few issues in RC section.

I am not sure as need to get the target score first I guess need to reach a 720 will take 2 more months and would target in mid march-16. targeted for fall-16 but dont know what are the chances of getting through. will try for spring 17 if not possible now. (what are adv or disadv of getting admitted in spring and fall?) no clue.

Had a plan to apply before spring 16 for courses starting in fall-16 as stated above. but 3rd round is on for most of schools.

will i have to target for next year?

4) I just dont want to get anything below top#15 B-schools of US so yes thats what I target and want to get admitted to one of it.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 18:16
Hi KaranKarira,

You could potentially apply for the Round 3 deadlines, but it doesn't sound like you actually know which specific Schools you want to apply to yet. It will take time to research all of those programs and work on your applications - doing that while you study for the GMAT might be too much work though. This is all meant to say that waiting to apply until Round 1 in the Fall might be a better choice (but you'll have to ultimately decide your own timeline).

To hit your score goal, you'll have to make some BIG improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections of the GMAT. Two more months of study is plenty of time for you to hit your goals, but you'll have to be efficient, focus on the practicing the proper Tactics and eliminate the little mistakes from your work. The next 130+ points will be tougher to gain than the last 130+ points were.

1) Have you had a chance to review this last CAT?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 06:01
That's quite the story for how you have gotten to where you are today. You have to remember that the GMAT is a means to an end - that end is acceptance into an MBA program. You are shooting for a 720, but is that goal based on data you are pulling from your schools of choice? Your GMAT study needs to happen in parallel with the rest of the application process and should be informed by the requirements of your school of choice.

Two months is plenty of time to see score improvement. Your process now should be two-part: content specific work on areas of weakness and timed sets of OG problems. Your CATs should inform you of the areas of weakness you need to study (i.e. algebra, word problems, RC Inference, CR Strengthen/Weaken). Focus on the lowest 2-3 for a couple of weeks with in depth study of your learning guides and OG specific problems. Spend a balanced amount of time working timed sets of OG problems (i.e. 5 DS, 5PS in 20 minutes) to work on your stamina and content recognition - remember to review your work heavily. Then take another CAT and pull your new lowest areas of weakness and start the process over.

Above all the most important thing for you, as stated earlier, is to figure out what your goal is. Where do you want to go to school and what is it going to take to get there. That understanding and focus will inform you on how you should proceed.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Getting Demoralized with low Scores, what should be most helpful? &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jan 2016, 06:01

Getting Demoralized with low Scores, what should be most helpful?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap