It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 20:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

getting from Q42 to Q45.. please help!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
getting from Q42 to Q45.. please help!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone,

This forum has been a big help in the past and I hope it can be of some help here. I'm in a bit of a unique situation in that I'm already gearing up for school at McCombs (Hook em!!) and just retook the gmat to try to meet a personal goal to break 700 and because I know that it can be of help in some industries for recruiting. On my first exam I used magoosh and MGMAT books for quant and didn't do much for verbal as I have always scored well on that section. I ended up with a 690 (Q42, V42). I retook today after about 2 weeks of really focused study on quant and ended up scoring much worse 640 (Q36, V42). I completely panicked when the quant section started and things went terribly (obviously). I'm really not a numbers illiterate person (CPA and UG finance major). When I was studying over the past few weeks I focused primarily on the OG quant questions and felt as confident as I ever have working through them and doing so quickly. I'm still resolute in my goal to break 700 but I am absolutely devastated at how terribly I performed today. I need a new study strategy and any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. At this point I wonder if I need to try different study materials or a different quant prep course or ????

I'm open to anything and I don't have some insane goal to get a 51. If I can get my quant score up to the 45 range relatively consistently, I know that I can crack 700 and be done with this forever.
Magoosh Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: getting from Q42 to Q45.. please help!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 20:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi 4under,

Since you're already accepted to School, most people would assume that the 'pressure' would be considerably lower on you, but that wasn't the case. We have to figure out WHY you 'panicked' and address that mentality before you go back in to retest. Can you go into more detail about that? Was there anything in particular that set you on edge?

With a Q36 and Q42, you were likely really good on the straight-forward "math" questions that you saw on Test Day, but you missed out on lots of 'strategy'-based points (including a bunch of DS questions) and you probably made a few little mistakes throughout the section. To get your score up to Q45+, you have to shift your thinking to more of a tactical and pattern-matching approach.

Assuming that you want to finish this up quickly, and based on everything that you've described, I think that the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster would help you considerably. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too intense. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 20:33
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi 4under,

Since you're already accepted to School, most people would assume that the 'pressure' would be considerably lower on you, but that wasn't the case. We have to figure out WHY you 'panicked' and address that mentality before you go back in to retest. Can you go into more detail about that? Was there anything in particular that set you on edge?

With a Q36 and Q42, you were likely really good on the straight-forward "math" questions that you saw on Test Day, but you missed out on lots of 'strategy'-based points (including a bunch of DS questions) and you probably made a few little mistakes throughout the section. To get your score up to Q45+, you have to shift your thinking to more of a tactical and pattern-matching approach.

Assuming that you want to finish this up quickly, and based on everything that you've described, I think that the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster would help you considerably. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too intense. We have a variety of free resources on our site , so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Rich-

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Honestly things were off the rails on the first question. It was a really weird format that I had only seen maybe 3 times in the hundreds (thousands perhaps?) of practice questions. It completely threw me off and after that my concern was timing. Ill definitely take a look at the empower stuff. I just hate this because I know I'm capable of much better. What do you mean by more of a "tactical/pattern match approach"?

Thanks again!
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 15:33
Hi 4under,

The GMAT writers design their questions in such a way that the questions can often be solved with a variety of approaches. Your Scaled Scores fall 'in range' of someone who uses a 'math heavy' approach - similar to what you might use if you were taking a 'math class.' Most Test Takers can't score at a high level using JUST this approach though - what they really need to know is how to TEST VALUES, TEST THE ANSWERS, use Number Properties, estimate, pattern-match, etc. AND do math when it's necessary.

It's possible that you just haven't learned these other methods, but it's also possible that you refused to practice them when you came across them.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 23:18
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: getting from Q42 to Q45.. please help!!!   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2018, 23:18

getting from Q42 to Q45.. please help!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap