GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Jul 2020, 09:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Getting into HBS - I am so helpless without a consultant

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Getting into HBS - I am so helpless without a consultant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 May 2020, 08:40
7 applications, 7 interviews, 0 dings, 1 life changed forever.

When My Admissions Consultant and I first started working together, I had a plan, but I was lost. I was following the standard career path for my industry; start in engineering, get an MBA, move into business development. There was nothing in my plan that aligned with who I am or what I believe in. My consultant saw through this, and so would an admissions committee.
We started with introspection and goal setting. We dove deep into my entire life story, not just my professional journey! I told her of the good times that I love to share and the hard times that I’d rather forget. My consultant got to know me better than I know myself. She posed challenging questions that pushed me to my emotional limits but helped me uncover who I am and what I bring as a unique individual.

After learning about who I am, the school choices fell into place. My consultant identified MBA programs that aligned with my goals and pushed me to research each one, connecting me with her past clients who were current students or alums and recommending podcasts and business school guides. It felt like pieces of a puzzle coming together. I could see myself at each institution, working towards a future that would bring me true fulfilment.

After choosing the schools, crafting the essays was next. The consultant has developed a process that is structured and clear. She identified the stories that would bring life to each essay, coaching me to bring out in my writing the unique qualities that I will be able to share with my future classmates. She provided me with untethered feedback, designed to bring out the best in me and my writing, even if I felt the words were tough to hear. We worked through drafts, day and night (it felt like consultant never took a holiday, she was that committed!), until together we had created something that would show the admissions committee who I truly am in a way that they would really hear.

When I got my first interview invitation, I was over the moon. When I received my 7th interview invitation, I was in shock. The consultant whom I paid money to was just as happy as I was, but she wasn’t in shock. She would never lie to make me happy and was always transparent about my chances, but she was confident that she had helped me present myself in a way that made me stand out among a pool of brilliant candidates.

Throughout the interview process, the consultant was dedicated to help me adapt my story to each individual interview. We outlined anecdotes and fit them into a framework that I will use in interviews for the rest of my life. I recorded myself on video and she provided honest feedback that helped me refine my stories into short, effective responses that captured the key messages that I want to convey. Most importantly, my consultant was my biggest fan and I walked into every interview feeling like I deserved a place on that school’s MBA program.

In the end, I chose to accept an offer from Harvard Business School with offers from Duke, Kellogg, MIT and Berkeley and waitlists from Yale and Stanford. $25K offer from MIT and $60K from Duke. Great results for someone without any diversity points to speak of and a 720 GMAT.

However, I gained so much more from this process than these results. I learned about who I am, what I bring and what I will bring me true fulfilment in life. My admission consultant has been my admissions consultant, my life coach, my harshest critic, my biggest fan and my best friend and I’ll forever be in her debt.

Originally posted by an19321 on 21 May 2020, 06:28.
Last edited by bb on 25 May 2020, 08:40, edited 4 times in total.
Expunged promotional content
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Re: Getting into HBS - I am so helpless without a consultant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2020, 07:42
Congrats! Did you start preparing the papers required for admission application after or before having your GMAT score?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2020, 08:26
I really liked your story, your way of communication. Encouraged to read your story. Congratulations on your success!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2020, 10:45
sjuniv32 wrote:
Congrats! Did you start preparing the papers required for admission application after or before having your GMAT score?

Thanks! I focussed on GMAT first, then worked on putting together applications.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2020, 10:46
PreetyM wrote:
I really liked your story, your way of communication. Encouraged to read your story. Congratulations on your success!

Thanks! :please:
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 06:25
an19321. thanks a lot for sharing nuances of your journey. Can I know who was your admissions consultant?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2020, 23:36
Congratulations! Would love to know who was the admissions consultant.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2020, 23:59
Very nicely written. May i know who was your admission consultant?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Getting into HBS - I am so helpless without a consultant   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2020, 23:59

Getting into HBS - I am so helpless without a consultant

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi