GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Getting most 500-level questions correct, but not 600-level questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Getting most 500-level questions correct, but not 600-level questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 21:28
Hey all,

I've been studying quant for nearly 5 weeks now at about 12-15 hours per week. I've gone through the Kaplan Math Workbook and felt I needed extra resources so I purchased the MGMAT Quant strategy guides. So far I've completed the Number Properties book.

I've been practicing learned concepts through the quant question directory on here and timing myself.
I'm finding that I'm getting a majority of the 500-level questions correct, but am experiencing difficulty when attempting the 600-level questions while keeping my attempts under ~2mins.

As it stands, I'm scoring in the Q37-Q40 range. If my goal is Q45, how does my performance on these questions in the question directory translate to my quant score? I feel like there is such a huge gap between the types of questions in the 600-level and 500-level.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Getting most 500-level questions correct, but not 600-level questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 21:41
Senpapi wrote:
Hey all,

I've been studying quant for nearly 5 weeks now at about 12-15 hours per week. I've gone through the Kaplan Math Workbook and felt I needed extra resources so I purchased the MGMAT Quant strategy guides. So far I've completed the Number Properties book.

I've been practicing learned concepts through the quant question directory on here and timing myself.
I'm finding that I'm getting a majority of the 500-level questions correct, but am experiencing difficulty when attempting the 600-level questions while keeping my attempts under ~2mins.

As it stands, I'm scoring in the Q37-Q40 range. If my goal is Q45, how does my performance on these questions in the question directory translate to my quant score? I feel like there is such a huge gap between the types of questions in the 600-level and 500-level.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

My 2 cents for you.

As you score stands between Q37 to Q40, in my opinion you are good with most of the topics of 500 level and not with all topics.
It is not important that you do 500 level questions correct. Important thing is that are you extracting enough from these 500 level questions or not. Most of the students underestimate the 500 level questions, but I tell you these questions are the biggest stepping stones to reach Q48 - at least. Most of time we feel good when we solve 500 level questions correctly, but we forget to use these questions for knowledge enhancement.

Firstly, cover all the 500 level topics from Quant directory (https://gmatclub.com/forum/quantitative-7/) and invest enough time with each question you solve at 500 level. Side by side, prepare your notes, review your theory completely. Then move to 600 level questions. You can also move to 600 level questions only for the topics which you are confident with at 500 level.

Regards,

QZ.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Getting most 500-level questions correct, but not 600-level questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 00:58
Senpapi wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks in advance.

Hi Senpapi,

I was in a very similar position as you. I was a little weak in Quant. However make sure to solidify your concepts first before trying out a lot of new questions. I read the MGMAT Guides twice before I started improving my score in Quant.

Your choice of MGMAT guides is great as they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. Just by going through these guides and solving the OG will help you reach 600+. Once you are confortable with the concepts. I will encourage you to get a subscription to GMATCLUB tests. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Hope this helps. All the best!

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 08:13
Hey Senpapi

GMAT Quant is not so much about learning the concepts but the application of these concepts.
I would recommend you to follow the theory you study using the Manhattan strategy guides
with some practice specific to the topic. If you have the time, try and supplement the concepts
you study from the Manhattan guides with the GMATClub Quantitative Mega-thread.
This thread will help you reinforce the concepts you have already done once.

Try to understand if you are able to apply the learning to the problems. Every time you are not
able to solve a question go through the thread(where this question has been discussed) and try
to learn from the various methods given. You may come across a few methods which might
help you save some time.

Last but not the least, work on maintaining an error log and go through the mistakes you make
from time to time. This will help you eliminate the mistakes you make on a regular basis and
help improve your scores.

Hope this helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Getting most 500-level questions correct, but not 600-level questions &nbs [#permalink] 09 Mar 2018, 08:13

Getting most 500-level questions correct, but not 600-level questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap