It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 15:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 630 was good enough...30 years ago

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE: Education (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
GMAT 630 was good enough...30 years ago [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 11:10
UT AUSTIN MBA’90, GPA 3.41, GMAT 630

OMG, players! In the last 30 years, the GMAT has gotten crazy weird (palm vein print), uber difficult (CAT), and needlessly expensive ($!)...The ONLY MBA entrance test for the ENTIRE world..? Really? What about the GRE?...Anyway... In 1986, I bought a Chihuahua-killing GMAT prep book, studied for 6 weeks, and took the exam. Done! No stress like I read (and feel) on this forum. I applied via the Consortium, but did not qualify for a scholarship. :( Now, my kid, born in Austin while I was at university, wants to earn his MBA. His bonafides: Tier 2 college, BS PoliSci 2013, GPA 3.4. Harvard Summer Program 2013, GPA 4.0. Marketing intern at a software company. Has taken 6 business classes at undergrad level. My son will use Manhattan Prep, as suggested by his university mentor. To become his in-house tutor, I will prep with the 30-day EMPOWER kit. I agree with EMPOWER’s stress of pattern recognition and use of shortcuts. After all, the GMAT, and a large part of the MBA program, are all about pattern recognition and succinct communication.

True or False

1. Because I am a Longhorn alumnus, my son is a “shoo-in” at McCombs.
2. I am not a “helicopter” parent!
3. A 3 kg book exerts a harmless force of 3N.
4. The journey from GMAT, through MBA, to a business career is not a stochastic event.
5. An investment of $50K/year * 2 years = $10^5 first year salary.
6. The GMAT violates anti-trust laws.

McCombs MBA 1990, Hook'Em Horns. I am helping my son prep for 2019, while trying to keep a 66 y.o. brain active. ;-)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

EMPOWERgmat Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3700 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: GMAT 630 was good enough...30 years ago [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 12:39
Hi RigelKent,

You've described an approach to the GMAT that I don't think I've seen before (in this context): working through a particular GMAT Product/Course with the intent as serving as a potential information source for another person. While that plan might be beneficial, I can see a few potential shortcomings in this approach:

1) Your expertise(s), strengths and weaknesses are not necessarily the same as your son's, so the 'takeaways' that you pull from the EMPOWERgmat Course may be more/less useful to your son than they might be for you. In that same way, you might not properly emphasize the proper Tactics, patterns, etc. that your son might need.
2) Most of our Clients hit their 'peak' scores after 3 months of consistent, guided study - but your goal isn't to score at a high level on the GMAT, so there's some question as to how well your plan (and its limited timeframe) will "work."
3) It's unclear how well you'll be able to replicate the lessons, style, advice, etc. that the Course presents. Depending on your son's Score Goal, those potential inconsistencies could impact how well he improves (and how quickly).

There's certainly no harm in attempting what you're thinking about, but it strikes me as having the potential to be inefficient. If you - or your Son - have any questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3700 [0], given: 173

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 9

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE: Education (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Rich, Thanks for the insight. My son will do his own thing. I want to prep and take as many practice exams as I can stand. I'll be there for him and provide a second point-of-view. I am retired, so this is going to be fun. The competition might spur him to better my score.

McCombs MBA 1990, Hook'Em Horns. I am helping my son prep for 2019, while trying to keep a 66 y.o. brain active. ;-)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 9

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3700 [1], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 17:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi RigelKent,

I'm really curious to hear how all of this turns out, so I hope that you'll post some follow-ups (and your son should certainly set up an Account here so that he can post questions as well).

As an aside, it's important to remember that taking lots of CATs will NOT make you a better Test Taker. A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3700 [1], given: 173

Re: GMAT 630 was good enough...30 years ago   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2017, 17:06

GMAT 630 was good enough...30 years ago

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap