GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT 660 (Q48, V34), retaking the exam on February, target score +700

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT 660 (Q48, V34), retaking the exam on February, target score +700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 11:05
Hi Experts, I did my GMAT last Monday and despite I got a 660(q48, v34, IR3) I'm not happy with my performance on Verbal nor on IR. The exam order was Verbal, Quant, IR, and AWA.

Firstly, I'm not yet worried about the IR section since I didn't study it at all, and I also since I think it was mainly due to a temporary drop of attention. Same applies for AWA but I still don't have my score, so we will see.

Secondly, my quant was the best score yet that I've got up to this point, so I feel I need a bit of improvement yet to get to the 49-50 range. The accuracy stats for each quarter were 86%, 71%, 71%, and 57%

Furthermore, as I was saying, my verbal score was not as expected, since my last mock score was up to 36 I thought that I would have improved. Until today I thought that my main problem was due to RC and that I started a bit nervous, as accuracy by quarter reaffirms, but then I decided to get my ESR in order to assess correctly the situation and plan from there my study plan. Surprisingly, these were my topic splits:
1) CR, percentile 66th
2) RC, percentile 88th
3) SC, percentile 55th

And my accuracy per each quarter: 62%, 100%, 71%, 75%. This goes in line with my feeling that I started my GMAT a bit over-excited.

On two MGMAT CAT that I took during my prep I had the following splits + Scores:
550 (Q33,V33), Date: September 9
660 (Q44,V36), Date: October 12

At last, I want to mention that my target programs are INSEAD and Judge mainly

I need a bit of help in order to plan my strategy towards February, what should I do in order to reach a +700?

Thanks in advance to all of you who can help me out.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT 660 (Q48, V34), retaking the exam on February, target score +700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 16:25
Hi Ed_Palencia,

First off, a 660/Q48 is a strong score (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Since you know some of the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

Beyond that, you're closer to a 700+ than you probably realize, but it would be helpful to see your full ESR - and before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 660 (Q48, V34), retaking the exam on February, target score +700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 09:56
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks for your prompt response. I will contact some admissions consultant as you have suggested me to do. Still, I think it has become more of a personal issue to break the +700 barrier hehehe.

Answering your questions:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? I've been studying for a year, but my first study strategies were completely flawed since I was just doing problems for the sake of doing them, prioritizing quantity over quality, I've already changed that; and besides that, I took a break from May to July since I was relocated back to Spain.
2) What study materials have you used so far?
Quant: Veritas books, Manhattan books, GMATCLUB Math book and now I'm starting with GMAT club test, I've done just a couple of them.
Verbal: I've read CR Powerscore Bible, Manhattan books and I've done E-GMAT verbal course.
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
MGMAT Cat 1: 590 (Q39, V33)
MGMAT Cat 2: 590 (Q37, V34)
MGMAT Cat 3: 550 (Q33, V33)
MGMAT Cat 4: 660 (Q44, V36)
GMAT Club Tests Quant: 42
GMAT Club Tests Quant: 47
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School? I'm aiming to apply for INSEAD J19 R1 or R2 and JUDGE R5 (I feel for R4 I'll have a tight schedule)

ESR: I'm attaching the general view as a plain image in here and the full report as an attachment. Hope it allows you to assess my case better, I'm intrigued by your comment "you're closer to a 700+ than you probably realize"

Thanks in advance for your pieces of advice and for your predisposition to help me. I truly appreciate it.

Attachments

ESR.pdf [414.51 KiB]
Downloaded 18 times

To download please login or register as a user

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 11:27
Top Contributor
Hi Ed. Congrats on the 660, thanks for sharing your ESR, and good luck at cracking 700! You will be happy to hear that you could have done much better with some very slight improvements.

Your Quant score is solid, although there is of course still some room for improvement. The main problem I can see is in your Verbal score, where you have significant potential for improvement. As you can see from your ESR, you only got 7 questions wrong out of the 30 counted questions, which is a large percentage of questions correct (77%). Unfortunately, you weren't able to capitalize on this high percentage correct because you struggled a bit on the critical first quarter of questions (only 5 out of 8 correct), lowering your difficulty level somewhat for the rest of the test, which had an adverse impact on your overall score of V34 (71%). Check out this page for some examples of how you can manage to score in the 40s on Verbal.

1st quarter: 5/8 = 62% correct (after this, the GMAT started serving you easier questions)
2nd quarter: 7/7 = 100% correct (nice job, but the questions had lowered a bit in difficulty so this didn't help as much as you might think)
3rd quarter: 5/7 = 71% correct (still solid, but the questions are starting to get a bit harder again)
At this point, you would have had to "run the table" in order to salvage a high verbal score.
4th quarter: 6/8 = 75% (still good, but the 1st quarter of questions ultimately did you in)

The good news is that you have the most room for improvement in the Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning sub-sections, which are the easiest areas to improve. I recently took a private student with similar score splits from 680 to 770, for example, simply by focusing exclusively on SC and CR.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT 660 (Q48, V34), retaking the exam on February, target score +700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 18:32
Hi Ed_Palencia,

What specific application deadlines are you facing? I ask because it would help to know how much potential additional study time you have before you would need to retest? As it stands, you might be able to retest relatively quickly (instead of February) - but again, the more specific you can be with your dates, the easier it should be to plan everything out.

I've also sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions on your ESR.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 13:46
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hi Ed. Congrats on the 660, thanks for sharing your ESR, and good luck at cracking 700! You will be happy to hear that you could have done much better with some very slight improvements.

Your Quant score is solid, although there is of course still some room for improvement. The main problem I can see is in your Verbal score, where you have significant potential for improvement. As you can see from your ESR, you only got 7 questions wrong out of the 30 counted questions, which is a large percentage of questions correct (77%). Unfortunately, you weren't able to capitalize on this high percentage correct because you struggled a bit on the critical first quarter of questions (only 5 out of 8 correct), lowering your difficulty level somewhat for the rest of the test, which had an adverse impact on your overall score of V34 (71%). Check out this page for some examples of how you can manage to score in the 40s on Verbal.

1st quarter: 5/8 = 62% correct (after this, the GMAT started serving you easier questions)
2nd quarter: 7/7 = 100% correct (nice job, but the questions had lowered a bit in difficulty so this didn't help as much as you might think)
3rd quarter: 5/7 = 71% correct (still solid, but the questions are starting to get a bit harder again)
At this point, you would have had to "run the table" in order to salvage a high verbal score.
4th quarter: 6/8 = 75% (still good, but the 1st quarter of questions ultimately did you in)

The good news is that you have the most room for improvement in the Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning sub-sections, which are the easiest areas to improve. I recently took a private student with similar score splits from 680 to 770, for example, simply by focusing exclusively on SC and CR.

-Brian

Hello Brian,

First of all I want to thank you for taking your time in answering me. I agree with your assessment, the ESR just confirms what my feelings were after the exam, that I rushed a lot at the beginning of the verbal section. One thing that concerns me according to your opinion, since I never really got difficult questions on the following quarters because of the earlier mistakes, could it be that my weighted percentile in RC is even lower if I had tougher questions and therefore failed more than I really did?

I will look at the link you send me tomorrow, I will consider adopting that strategy if I find it suitable for me hehehe
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 13:56
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Ed_Palencia,

What specific application deadlines are you facing? I ask because it would help to know how much potential additional study time you have before you would need to retest? As it stands, you might be able to retest relatively quickly (instead of February) - but again, the more specific you can be with your dates, the easier it should be to plan everything out.

I've also sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions on your ESR.

Rich

Hi Rich, sorry for my late answer, these last days have been crazy busy for me. I haven't really studied since I took the GMAT a week ago, I hope that my score hasn't been impacted too much by that.

Here are my specific deadlines:
INSEAD, R1 March 14
INSEAD, R2 May 2
Cambridge Judge R4 March 9
Cambridge Judge R5 May 4 (Last Round)

I will answer also to you PM now.

Thanks for your support and help Rich.
Re: GMAT 660 (Q48, V34), retaking the exam on February, target score +700 &nbs [#permalink] 18 Dec 2017, 13:56

GMAT 660 (Q48, V34), retaking the exam on February, target score +700

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap