It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 19:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 690(q49 v 34 ). Enough to get in top 20 B schools ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT 690(q49 v 34 ). Enough to get in top 20 B schools ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2008, 23:35
This was my third gmat attempt this time...

have gone from (disaster 600 ) --> 650 ---> 690 (but missed the 700 bus coz of 49 in maths this time.. earlier times i had consistently scored a 50 in maths .

Anyway I have 3 yrs work right now and by the time i join the college i will have 4 yrs of SAP technical work experience.

I have passed out from a top 10 engineering college in India and have above average acads .

I want to know whether i can get into top 20 B schools with the profile as stated above. I am ready to work hard for writing good essays and get good recommendations.

My Mom had told me why do not apply to B schools with 650 score. I told her that I deserve better than this score. But this time I got 690. Still I believe that I deserve much better. But I am planning to strengthen my App with other factors such as doing some finance courses.

But i do not know which courses to take to strengthen my App. Can people here help me in on my journey to top 20 B schools?

Regards,
Ankit

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT 690(q49 v 34 ). Enough to get in top 20 B schools ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2008, 21:54
Ankit,
690 score is good to go for any business school. GMAT score is just one part of application process. Apart from GMAT score you need to write good essays with clear cut goal (with answer to questions such as why you want to pursue MBA and why at this point of your career blah blah ) show some work experience and some extracurricular activities. If you can shell out some cash then you can take the help of some good consultant to prepare your case and give some tips which will make your applications stronger.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2008, 14:55
690 is good.

690 is middle of 80%, so you are good. for the passs.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2008, 17:53
Ankit- 690 is definitely a great score. Congrats clearly you have strong Quantitative abilities. I would advice that you build on other parts of your application. Volunteering, community service are great ways to show that you are a well rounded individual. I am sure you have great potential and wish you luck in your applications.

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2008, 14:38
congrats man. 690 is certainly good score.
also, would you like to share your strategy for verbal. How did you improve sc/cr and rc - what resources did you use, what did you do different this time etc. etc... :-D . This would be helpful for folks like me who are struggling to improve verbal score.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2008, 08:12
690 is fine, and congrats to you, but I am amazed how much weight people in here put on the GMAT. When you start filling out applications and writing essays, you realize just how small a part of the whole package it is. If you spend months or even years trying to break 700 because you "deserve better" (which is kind of an arrogant thing to say...you get the score you earn...the test makers don't owe you anything because you think you are smart), you're wasting your time and you would be wise to take an econ course to learn the meaning of opportunity cost.

You should be spending a LOT more time making yourself look special in the essays. If you are Indian with a technical/programming/IT background, and i'm just being honest here, you are really at a disadvantage. Even with a 750, adcoms read literally 1000s of essays from the same Indian IT people over and over and over. We all know what IT guys really do, and it is not particularly interesting, especially if you are not in a managerial position. What are you going to write about in your essays, how you fixed a glitch in the office printer and everyone slapped you on the back? The point is, I think you ought to focus on extracurriculars or volunteering to strengthen the essays and make yourself standout. No matter how high you score on the GMAT, with an Indian IT background, it won't really matter. They expect your demographic to have insanely high GMAT scores, so you have to make up for it in other ways.

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2008, 19:00
690 is a very good score. But it is one part of the application.. focus on your essays, highlight your extracurriculars. I only wish a GMAT score could be a shoe-in for the application process, but fortunately they care more about students than numbers ;-).

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 02:18
Aspirando, I totally agree with you that being an IT professional from India is not helpful. There are so many people with the same profile that the person becomes one in a zillion. All the youth brain power is concentrated mostly in the IT guys and even a good score (say 690) would be an average amongst the IT guys. More importantly, even if the guy solved big technical glitches, it does not add any importance to the need of his MBA degree.

Unluckily, I also belong to the same category. Even though I've had a good academic background and completed my engg from NITs, I have achieved nothing that makes me stand out (apart from solving bugs :-D ).

Just Do It!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 15:05
yeah i mean i give you total credit for being very smart...probably smarter than i. i couldn't fix ANY printer glitches. but i just try to put myself in the adcoms shoes, you know? like, let's say i'm an adcom. it's 4 pm on a friday and i've been reading applications for 50 hours this week already. i wanna go home. and what's this? another indian IT applicant. great.

now, here is what i think will really help you. get involved with some volunteer stuff where you can get in a management role. write about that stuff, not the IT experience. that will get the adcom to sit up in his/her chair at 4 on a friday, you know? do something that makes that adcom sit up in the chair.

best of luck dude

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 15:12
although, my friend, i must say that your comment that "all the youth brain power is concentrated mostly in the IT guys" is, well, absurd and completely untenable. that assertion is just flat out wrong. sorry. i am not in IT and suck at computers, admittedly, but i got in the 97th percentile in verbal, and i would bet good money that the vast majority of those IT guys couldn't touch a score like that. not even close, and we all know it. different people are gifted in different ways. i'll admit they have great math skills, but assuming "brain power" means overall intelligence and not just math skills (i.e. plug and chug chills) , your assertion doesn't hold much water. peace my friend.

Re: GMAT 690(q49 v 34 ). Enough to get in top 20 B schools ?   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2008, 15:12

GMAT 690(q49 v 34 ). Enough to get in top 20 B schools ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap