It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 21:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat 700 .. Sufficient for MIS and Business analytics?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Gmat 700 .. Sufficient for MIS and Business analytics? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 08:42
Hi all,
I'm interested in applying for programs in mis with specific interest towards business analytics. MISM-BIDA in CMU for example, or justthe business analytics programs in the top universities

I gave the GMAT twice, with not much of a difference in the scores
GMAT 1: 690 : Quant 49 (78 percentile), Verbal 35 (76 percentile), IR 7 and AWA 5.0
GMAT 2: 700 : Quant 48 (73 percentile), Verbal 38 (85 percentile), IR 7 and AWA 6.0

As you can see, my verbal seems to be fine but the quant is an abysmal 73 percentile :( .. I'm highly concerned about this and would like any suggestions regarding the same.. Should i consider taking up the GMAT again?? I find myself generally good with maths but unfortunately,math scores in GMAT and scores in Math subject of my undergrad donot reflect the same

Profile wise: I had a CGPA of 8.48/10 in my Btech from an college in India
Will have had 2 years of work ex from a reputed tech company
Pretty decent on the extra curriculars front and i'm confident of presenting my case through a good SOP

Current list of programs i'm considering applying to:
1> CMU MISM-BIDA and MISM
2> UT Austin MS in Analytics
3> Georgiatech MS in Analytics
4> TAMU MIS
5> Maryland MIS + Analytics

So, any suggestions on what i could expect out of these applications? And more importantly, shouldi take up the exam again

Thanks is advance :)

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Re: Gmat 700 .. Sufficient for MIS and Business analytics? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 03:41
Hi!

Your profile seems fine, and your GMAT score is decent. A lot of our students apply for MIS and Business Analytics programs. Based on the results of the past 2-3 years, I believe Georgia Tech and TAMU will be your safety schools. UT Austin and Maryland would be a little stretch - mainly because they are extremely selective.

By the way, have you looked at the Kelley MSIS program and the Carlson MSBA program? They are both as good as the ones in your list.

All the best!

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 19:05
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
Hi!

Your profile seems fine, and your GMAT score is decent. A lot of our students apply for MIS and Business Analytics programs. Based on the results of the past 2-3 years, I believe Georgia Tech and TAMU will be your safety schools. UT Austin and Maryland would be a little stretch - mainly because they are extremely selective.

By the way, have you looked at the Kelley MSIS program and the Carlson MSBA program? They are both as good as the ones in your list.

All the best!

Thanks for the response!
Is the Georgia Tech course really gettable?.. I felt that the low GMAT quant score would considerably pull my chances down
Also, do you have any opinions on the MEM courses offered in top universities like Duke, Dartmouth etc..?

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 20:31
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I would not call your quant score "low".
As I said, start working on the rest of your profile now.
The MEM programs of Duke and Dartmouth are very good and extremely competitive. But their curriculum will be quite different from MIS and MSBA programs. MEM programs is more management oriented.
The essays and SOPs you will need to write for them will have to have a different focus than the ones you will write for MIS or MSBA programs.
I would not worry about your GMAT score. Your rest of the application needs to be strong. Some of the MIS and MEM programs also have an interview round. So, you need to be clear about what you are applying for and why.
Hope this helps.
All the best.

Aryama Dutta Saikia

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 44

GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 12:02
Hi, I scored a 710 [Q 47, V 41, IR 3]. Will this be too low for a MSBA course? Haven't received AWA score yet.

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 06:57
skollya wrote:
Hi, I scored a 710 [Q 47, V 41, IR 3]. Will this be too low for a MSBA course? Haven't received AWA score yet.

It depends on what colleges you are looking at. Moreover, the rest of your profile also matters.

Aryama Dutta Saikia

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Gmat 700 .. Sufficient for MIS and Business analytics? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 02:25
Well, I have four years of work experience in a CMM level 5 company in Business Intelligence domain. Got my AWA score. It is 5.5. I am looking at Cincinnati, NUS, Michigan, Louisiana, and the like. Is it the right level?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 10:58
HI,

I am an Indian Student.

I have got 560 on the Gmat. I have 2 years work ex as a business Analyst in a fortune 500 company. I work as a data analyst and provide scope for improvement where required. I have an Ielts score of 8.0. I want to pursue MSc in Business Analytics or a MBA. My school preferences are not limited to a region. A placement opportunity and ROI are top priority. I am looking at Australia as 1st Preference.

Can you please advise which college in the US or Australia best suits my profile?

Regards,
Jeremy.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 09:12
Have you tried the free tool at www(dot)Schooltorch(dot)com? They have options to enter your credentials and find your initial list ...

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Re: Gmat 700 .. Sufficient for MIS and Business analytics?   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2016, 09:12

Gmat 700 .. Sufficient for MIS and Business analytics?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap