GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT 730, Q47 V42 - Retake strategy for 750+ ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.89
GMAT 730, Q47 V42 - Retake strategy for 750+ ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 21:20
Hi everyone,

I recently took the GMAT on September 20th and scored a 730, Q47, V42, IR7 and have been considering retaking the exam. I have been studying probably 2.5 hours/day on average for approximately 4 months, across a few different resources. I just completed my undergraduate degree and spent my summer studying for the GMAT as I plan to go back for an MBA within 5 years. I start a full time job as of October 4th which will significantly restrict my ability to study. However, I still think I could devote up to 2 hours per day studying for the next few weeks if I plan to retake.

My GMAT study plan over the last few months:

Month #1/2: Veritas Orion
- Diagnostic (05/14/18): 610, Q37 V37
- Veritas CAT 1 (06/02/18): 650, Q42 V37
- Veritas CAT 2 (06/17/18): 670, Q46 V36
- Veritas CAT 3 (07/02/18): 700, Q44 V43

Month #3: GMAT Question Pack + OG
- GMATPrep Exam 1 (07/12/18): 740, Q46 V46

At this point, I felt that if I could improve my quantitative score to a 49 and maintain my verbal that I would be scoring into and above 750. I started primarily using Target Test Prep to improve my quantitative section. However, I ended up contributing a significant amount of time each day to quantitative at the neglect of verbal, causing it to decline slightly over time. I am still not sure if this was the right choice rather than focusing exclusively on official questions and simply maintaining an error log.

Month #4: Target Test Prep (only completed 50%) + GMAT Question Pack for Verbal
- GMATPrep Exam 2 (08/20/18): 750, Q48 V45 ---- This score is not fully representative as I retook Exam 1 prior to this and saw repeat questions on Exam 2.
- GMATPrep Exam 3 (09/05/18): 720, Q47 V42
- GMATPrep Exam 4 (09/12/18): 740, Q47 V45
- GMATPrep Exam 5 (09/14/18): 750, Q48 V45
- GMATPrep Exam 6 (09/17/18): 710, Q44 V44

Official GMAT (09/20/18): 730, Q47 V42

While I understand that 730 is still a fantastic score, I still feel like I could be performing closer to a 750. My verbal score of V42 felt like a significant underperformance compared to what is typical for me. I am somewhat frustrated because I have used up all of the official exams and basically completed all of the verbal questions in Question Pack 1, OG, and Verbal review with around 93% accuracy. I would appreciate any advice on an effective strategy for retaking the exam, but also keep in mind that my studying will like have to be restricted to 1-2 hours per day on weekdays and more on weekends going forward.

I tried to attach my Enhanced Score Report but I have not met the minimum number of posts to enable file uploading. I will try to follow up on this.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT 730, Q47 V42 - Retake strategy for 750+ ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 23:09
below link might be useful for you ,
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-i ... l#p2108758

What to do if you are new to GMAT:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-if-you-are-new-272708.html#p2108758

GMAC official guides : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-official-guides-the-master-directory-links-240610.html#p1854935

Give me kudos if you like it , it's totally harmless :)

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 08:53
Hi derekgibbs96,

IMO, the most efficient way is to concentrate on quant to get Q49+. These threads might be helpful:

ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
How to improve your quant from 44 to 50

Hope this helps!

Non progredi est regredi

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 20:02
derekgibbs96 wrote:
While I understand that 730 is still a fantastic score, I still feel like I could be performing closer to a 750. My verbal score of V42 felt like a significant underperformance compared to what is typical for me. I am somewhat frustrated because I have used up all of the official exams and basically completed all of the verbal questions in Question Pack 1, OG, and Verbal review with around 93% accuracy. I would appreciate any advice on an effective strategy for retaking the exam, but also keep in mind that my studying will like have to be restricted to 1-2 hours per day on weekdays and more on weekends going forward.

I tried to attach my Enhanced Score Report but I have not met the minimum number of posts to enable file uploading. I will try to follow up on this.
With a 730, you wouldn't normally need to take the GMAT again, but a retake could be a good move given that you're not applying immediately. A few quick points:

1. Even people with 99% scores can get lower scores occasionally. Although your 96% is not low (although you may feel that it is), the probability that you'll get a score closer to your actual ability goes up with number of attempts.

2. That said, don't go the other way this time around and focus on verbal instead of quant. Quant is still where you can improve the most. Q47 (61%) is... okay. It won't raise any major red flags, but it won't really do much for you either.

3. You have a really good score, so there will be less pressure on you when you take the exam again.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 17:12
Hi derekgibbs96,

730 is a fantastic GMAT score! Looking at your practice test scores, your Q47 came pretty close to what you were scoring on practice exams, and your verbal dropped slightly. So, to achieve your 750 score goal, you should look to improve both your verbal and quant scores.

For quant, since you have completed only 50% of the Target Test Prep course, your goal should be to complete the entire course before your retake. If you do so, there is no reason why you cannot hit a Q49+ on your next GMAT. Feel free to reach out to me directly, and we can discuss the TTP course further.

Regarding verbal, since you are already at a V42, to improve that score, you will need to engage in focused practice. For example, if you are reviewing Critical Reasoning, be sure that you practice a large number questions just from that topic: strengthen and weaken the conclusion, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Once complete, do a thorough analysis of each incorrect question. If you got a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? By thoroughly analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to more efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your Critical Reasoning knowledge. You also can follow this process for Reading Comprehension and Sentence Correction questions.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your verbal score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to efficiently answer questions correctly that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker verbal areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your verbal score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

Accomplishing this end could take doing dozens of questions of one type, then dozens of the next, and so on. When you do dozens of the same type of question one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of the questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

Please reach out with any further questions.

Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT 730, Q47 V42 - Retake strategy for 750+ ? &nbs [#permalink] 27 Sep 2018, 17:12

GMAT 730, Q47 V42 - Retake strategy for 750+ ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap