GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 15:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT 760, IR only 4 - Retake?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.82
GMAT 760, IR only 4 - Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 07:01
Hi everyone,

I know this question appeared many times already in this forum, but I would like to have an up to date assessment of my situation so here's my question:

Should I retake the GMAT with a current score of 760 Q49V44, but a poor IR 4?

My goal is to get into a Top European Business School (preferably UK). So do you think the poor IR score compromises my overall performance so much that I should retake it?

In the GMATprep exams (I did 4), I usually scored 750-770 overall, with IR ranging from 7-8. So the official IR score does not reflect my true skill.

And also: Do you consider a Q49/V44 score unbalanced?

Thanks!!

Posted from my mobile device
Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT 760, IR only 4 - Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 07:12
Toveran wrote:
Hi everyone,

I know this question appeared many times already in this forum, but I would like to have an up to date assessment of my situation so here's my question:

My goal is to get into a Top European Business School (preferably UK). So do you think the poor IR score compromises my overall performance so much that I should retake it?

In the GMATprep exams (I did 4), I usually scored 750-770 overall, with IR ranging from 7-8. So the official IR score does not reflect my true skill.

Thanks!!

Hi
Congrats on a great score in the GMAT.
An IR score of 4 is not very low and may not effect your overall assessment.
IMO there is no need for a retake. Also, Q49/V44 may seem unbalanced but does not make much difference.
I think you should start working on your applications. All the best.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 08:02
Thank you souvonik2k!

I'd be very grateful for some more insights if someone's around :)

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 02:27
Toveran wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!!

Hello Toveran

First of all 760 is awesome score.

For anybody, for any school. Period.

Congrats :thumbup:

IR is relatively new section and somewhat less important to ad com, than quant and verbal score, or in another words total score.

Q49V44 is not that unbalanced at all, and that is especially true if you are non native speaker and have international student status.

Furthermore, usually verbal is kinda less important than quant, bur again that will depend mostly on your MBA or other Master specialization.

You are set in your GMAT score you don't need to retake it.

To show you how awesome your score is, pay attention to facts regarding your target, top UK schools:

LBS has average GMAT score of 700.

Oxford Said Average 692, Median 700.

Cambridge Judge both average and median 690.

Cass has average of 653.

Imperial and UCL avoid to reveal it, but they are more in Cass range, than LBS/Oxford category.

You still even think about retake ?

I don't think so ;)

Nobody is going to care about your IR.

Goood Luck with application, UK is waiting for you ! :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 07:07
Hi Toveran,

I have a question related to the exam. Did you do some mock tests before the real GMAT test? If yes, what were your scores for them?

Thank you and congrats :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 09:05
Hi mjmjn2611

I did only 4 GMATprep exams towards the end of my study period, with the following results:

Gmatprep 1: 770 (Q49V47)
Gmatprep 2: 770 (Q50V44)
Gmatprep 3: 750 (Q50V41)
Gmatprep 4: 760 (Q49V44)
Actual Gmat: 760 (Q49V44)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 07:22
Q49/V44 is only slightly unbalanced. That said, getting a 51 on Quant is very difficult, and the difference between Q50 and Q49 is minimal, so I wouldn't worry about the Quant score.

Regarding the IR score, at this point no one really knows how business schools evaluate the IR portion on top of the traditional Q+V+AWA. Conventional wisdom states that the impact of IR is minimal. However, if that would ease your mind, do re-take if you are confident you'll score at least a 750 next time. Otherwise, don't worry about it. The 760 is plenty of evidence that you'll be a competent student and that you will boost the school's average GMAT score. Congratulations on a job well done!

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.

$80/hour as of May 2018.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 09:50
Hi Toveran,

A 760 with a Q49 is fantastic, so your score is certainly balanced. Regarding your 4 on IR, I don’t think you need to worry about that score.

However, since you are asking an admissions-based question, you should reach out to one of the many admissions consultants here on GMAT Club to get some further advice.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 12:19
Nope, don't retake. It's not that IR isn't important, it's that it's not as important as the Quant and Verbal sections. Unless your IR score is a big red flag and your overall score is marginal, I wouldn't ever retake solely based on IR. 4 is barely below the median if I recall correctly, so it isn't a huge red flag. And your overall score definitely isn't marginal - it's extremely strong. Nice work!

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 23:34
ccooley wrote:
4 is barely below the median if I recall correctly, so it isn't a huge red flag.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, ccooley. I agree that in general IR doesn't matter as much. What I'm not getting is why a below median score is not a huge red flag. If your Q+V score is below median, don't you think that would be cause for concern? Or are you saying that a below median score is a red flag, but not a huge one simply because IR isn't as important?

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.

$80/hour as of May 2018.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 03:39
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
ccooley wrote:
4 is barely below the median if I recall correctly, so it isn't a huge red flag.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, ccooley. I agree that in general IR doesn't matter as much. What I'm not getting is why a below median score is not a huge red flag. If your Q+V score is below median, don't you think that would be cause for concern? Or are you saying that a below median score is a red flag, but not a huge one simply because IR isn't as important?

I'm sure he'll reply, but I understood it this way: A "huge red flag" means that you should definitely retake the GMAT, as the score would be unacceptable no matter what your overall performance is. For instance, a AWA 2.5 score in combination with very good essays is considered such a red flag - if the Ad Com has serious doubts that you wrote the essays on your own, they will reject you no matter how good your overall application is. Now, a IR score of 4 is of course bad, no room for discussion, but does it really raise a red flag if someone has a 760 score? Probably not, especially with schools that accept the GRE, which does not have an IR section.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT 760, IR only 4 - Retake? &nbs [#permalink] 28 Sep 2018, 03:39

GMAT 760, IR only 4 - Retake?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap