GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT 770 (Q47,V51). Fortunate First-Timer in under 2 months

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 770 (Q47,V51). Fortunate First-Timer in under 2 months  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Nov 2015, 15:41
I scored very well on the GMAT, but it's mostly due to my verbal. I didn't study for verbal. I've always paid super close attention to grammar and sentence structure, and that--combined with luck, I'm sure--really helped. Nonetheless, I’ll share some preparation principles I learned that helped me to score well and drastically improve my quant score:

GET A BENCHMARK SCORE ASAP.
MAKE STUDYING YOUR PRIORITY. Easier said than done.
FIND A STUDY TOOL THAT WORKS FOR YOU.
CALM YOUR MIND. Meditation, prayer, whatever works for you.

I took an official GMAT practice test immediately after signing up for the GMAT, which informed my decision of how to spend my study time. I got Q34(35%), V41(93%), a 620. Because I scored well on verbal, I excluded it from my study and focused on quant. My exam was about 8 weeks away.

I studied very little for three weeks after signing up because it wasn’t my priority. Work, life, everything got in the way. Then I started freaking out about the lack of time to study and realized I needed to change. I immediately began searching for a good online study program.

I chose Target Test Prep, which ended up being help for me. I loved that I could blaze through the chapter tests to gauge my knowledge in each area (while feeling like I was being kicked in the face repeatedly-seriously, do I not know how to do 7th-grade math? Apparently not). The scoring and explanations and lesson breakdowns were super easy to understand and made it easy to study only what I needed to study. It eliminated wasted time-which was good since I had very little of it. I'd recommend it.

This’ll be anti-climactic, but I’m skipping to the end. I got my official scores last week: 770 overall, Q47 (67%), V51(99%), IR 6 (67%), AWA 5.0 (59%). Verbal obviously caused my high overall score, not my quant. Nonetheless, TTP helped me jump 13 points on quant in one month of real studying (averaging ~4-6 hrs/day). Prayer, meditation, reading religious text, and other ways of keeping my mind clear and free from fear and nervousness were also invaluable. I fully believe in God and divine assistance, so that's just a thought. I was grateful to have a clear mind going into the exam.

Good luck, hope you crush it!

Originally posted by rc41 on 13 Nov 2015, 10:36.
Last edited by rc41 on 17 Nov 2015, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
V
GMAT 770 (Q47,V51). Fortunate First-Timer in under 2 months  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2015, 22:09
rc41 wrote:
Disclaimer: I scored very well on the GMAT, but it's mostly due to my verbal. I didn't study for verbal. I've always paid super close attention to grammar and sentence structure, and that--combined with good fortune--really helped. Nonetheless, I’ll share some preparation principles I learned that helped me to score well and drastically improve my quant score:

GET A BENCHMARK SCORE ASAP.
MAKE STUDYING YOUR PRIORITY. Easier said than done.
FIND A STUDY TOOL THAT WORKS FOR YOU.
CALM YOUR MIND. Meditation, prayer, whatever works for you.

My road to the GMAT began when a friend said, “Take it now; life is only going to get busier as it goes on.” Holy cannoli! That obvious fact hit me like a ton of bricks, and I signed up for the GMAT that night, giving myself about 8 weeks to study.

I took an official GMAT practice test immediately, which informed my decision of how to spend my study time. I got Q34(35%), V41(93%), a 620. I knew my time should be spent on Quant. I totally excluded Verbal from my study.

I studied very little for three weeks after signing up because it wasn’t my priority. Work, life, everything got in the way. Then I started freaking out about the lack of time to study and realized I needed to change. I immediately began searching for a good online study program.

I knew my criteria: self-paced, online, lots of practice questions, simple explanations, no textbooks, decent UX, and inexpensive. A friend who took the GRE told me about Magoosh, so I checked it out online and did some other research of my own. I saw TargetTestPrep (TTP), which was highly rated, met all of my study criteria and was relatively inexpensive ($150 for one month, which is all I needed). I signed up for their 5-day trial for $1 and really liked it. I immediately received LinkedIn requests from Jeff and Scott (TTP founders), and Jeff texted me to set up a phone call. I loved that. I asked him some general questions about the GMAT, one or two questions about TTP, a question about Magoosh, and told him I was sold and I’d subscribe for a month.

TTP ended up being the best help for me. I loved that I could blaze through the chapter tests to gauge my knowledge in each area (while feeling like I was being kicked in the face repeatedly-seriously, do I not know how to do 7th-grade math? Apparently not). The scoring and explanations and lesson breakdowns were SUPER easy to understand and made it easy to study only what I needed to study. It eliminated wasted time-which was good since I had very little of it.

I took another practice GMAT a week before my actual exam. I got a 720 with Q47, V42. Woo! But my goal was 750, so I wanted to improve my quant a little more. The last day before the exam I practiced AWA for a couple of hours and took a rest from the quant. I never studied for verbal or IR.

This’ll be anti-climactic, but I’m skipping to the end. I got my official scores last week: 770 overall, Q47 (67%), V51(99%), IR 6 (67%), AWA 5.0 (59%). Verbal obviously caused my high overall score, not my quant. Nonetheless, TTP helped me jump 13 points on quant in one month of real studying (averaging ~4-6 hrs/day). And because I didn’t study for verbal, all I can vouch for is TTP. Prayer, meditation, reading religious text, and other ways of keeping my mind clear and free from fear and nervousness were also invaluable. I fully believe in God and divine assistance, so that's just a thought. I was grateful to have a clear mind going into the exam.

Good luck, hope you crush it!

Hi,
your entire run down on scoring 770 is more towards selling TTP, than any meaningful suggestions/motivations for students..
Sorry for being blunt but you joined GMAT Club today itself and stayed for half an hour to do the marketing...
GMAT 770 (Q47,V51). Fortunate First-Timer in under 2 months   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2015, 22:09

GMAT 770 (Q47,V51). Fortunate First-Timer in under 2 months

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics