GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 09:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

GMAT Attempt #1 600(Q38/V34) - Need a strategy for improving to Q48

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
GMAT Attempt #1 600(Q38/V34) - Need a strategy for improving to Q48  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 18:33
Hi All

Ever since I came out of my first GMAT attempt on Oct 22nd, 2018, I have pondering this question about how to improve my Quant score from 38 to 48. The Q38 that I see in my attempt was initially a shocker for me, but then upon deeper analysis I think it was par for the course. My GMAT Prep 1 & 2 scores were 47 (in Aug 2018) and 39 (couple days ago). I took about 12 or more GMAT club Quant CAT's in the past 2 months and my scores ranged from 20 to 44. I am trying to find a reason for such variances and also determine a study plan to ensure that I get to Q48.

My Quant prep for the first attempt included going through the MGMAT quant books 1 through 5 in July and Aug. I took the first GMAT prep test right after that and got a 47. At that point I felt comfortable and then was not revising Quant everyday till early October. I had some job situations to handle in the mean time that kept my mind away from the GMAT exam, to the point that even if I was revising topics I was just going through the motions rather than focusing. The GMATClub Quant tests in early October reflects this slump as I saw a nadir of Q20. :cry: By that time, some of the concepts/tips/tricks that I learned until Aug deserted me. I had to restart the MGMAT book study again and gave GMAT Club tests almost every other day. The scores gradually improved from Q20 to Q28 to Q33 to Q44 and then finally in the last GMAT club test it came back to Q38. I gave my next and last GMAt prep test a couple days before the exam and got a Q39. Even though I was averaging only in the high 30's I was somehow under a false impression that I would be hitting a Q47 in the real attempt. But I did not and ended up with a Q38 in the real GMAT.

I would like to know what would be the best strategy here to consistently hit Q48 in prep tests at which point I can confidently retake the GMAT test. I now understand that an extended break definitely takes me way back in the score. What I also know is that I tend to panic while taking the timed tests. If I get stumped on a question, I tend to guess an answer, but worse, I end up brooding over the 'spilled milk' while attempting the next question and things get from bad to worse. It could be certainly because I am lacking in concepts, but each time I go back and review the incorrect answers, I am able to accurately answer all the 500 & 600 level questions in a pressure free environment. So definitely any suggestions for coping with the 'TEST' pressure would help me a lot.

Please suggest some paths I could go from here. In my mind, I plan to review the MGMAT concepts one more time, use the GMAt club Math pdf for review and then start giving GMAT club tests every other day till I consistently hit Q48. If I reach that stage, I'll retake my GMAT. Does this sound like a plan or is there a different strategy to employ? Any help (except marketing) is welcome.

Once again - GREAT Forum - GREAT people and Lot of HELP! GMATCLUB rocks. :thumbup:
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33
Re: GMAT Attempt #1 600(Q38/V34) - Need a strategy for improving to Q48  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 18:45
i was around the same score as you, but improved to an eventual Q49.
I practiced immensely the following -
-allegation method for mixture problems -i used them for speed and work problems too..turned out to be a huge time saver
-number line method for absolute value inequalities
-offsetting technique for calculating averages

Help me with kudos, if the above is of any help.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Attempt #1 600(Q38/V34) - Need a strategy for improving to Q48  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 19:06
Hi MiscReg,

From what you describe, it sounds like you're planning to study in a fairly similar fashion to how you studied before, so it's unclear what type of adjustments you might make to how you handle the overall Quant section or Test Day itself. Considering the type of improvement that you're after, your plan might not be as effective as you want it (or need it) to be. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used besides the books that you listed?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your FULL-LENGTH CATs - not the ClubTests (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Attempt #1 600(Q38/V34) - Need a strategy for improving to Q48 &nbs [#permalink] 23 Oct 2018, 19:06

GMAT Attempt #1 600(Q38/V34) - Need a strategy for improving to Q48

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap