GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Gmat Club Math Book Doubt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Gmat Club Math Book Doubt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 00:08
Hello Everyone,

I have a doubt in the attached snippet from the GMAT Club math book.

I would be grateful if someone can help me decode this in plain English (especially points 1,2,3,4)

Bunuel chetan2u
Attachments

sd.JPG
sd.JPG [ 30.47 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Gmat Club Math Book Doubt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 21:28
saurabh9gupta wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have a doubt in the attached snippet from the GMAT Club math book.

I would be grateful if someone can help me decode this in plain English (especially points 1,2,3,4)

Bunuel chetan2u
The first bit is just saying that if you add a number (positive or negative) to every element in the set, the standard deviation remains the same. For example:

1. For the set \({1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10}\) we have \(σ=2.87\) (approximate value) and mean \(μ=5.5\)
2. For the set \({11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20}\) (adding 10 to each element) we have standard deviation \(σ=2.87\) (approximate value) and mean \(μ=15.5\)

What matters for the standard deviation is how far the elements are from the mean. The actual values of the elements do not matter here.

The second portion seems to be talking about the inclusion of one more element in the set, but as far as I know, it is not very easy to predict the impact of such an inclusion on the standard deviation, so I'll leave that to someone else. What we usually discuss is the inclusion of a pair of values that are symmetric about the mean.

Let's say the original set is \({1, 3, 5}\). Here \(σ=1.633\) and \(μ=3\). If we now put a pair of elements \(x\) and \(y\) into the set, the new set will be \({1, 3, 5, x, y}\). If \(x\) and \(y\) are very far from the mean, the standard deviation will go up, and if \(x\) and \(y\) are very close to the mean, the standard deviation will go down.

1. \(x=(3-4)=-1\) and \(y=(3+4)=7\): The new set is \({-1, 1, 3, 5, 7}\) and its standard deviation is \(2.828\), which is greater than the original standard deviation.

2. \(x=(3-1.633)=1.367\) and \(y=3+1.633=4.633\): The new set is \({1, 1.367, 3, 4.633, 5}\) and its standard deviation is \(1.633\), which is the same as the original standard deviation.

3. \(x=(3-1)=2\) and \(y=3+1=4\): The new set is \({1, 2, 3, 4, 5}\) and its standard deviation is \(1.414\), which is less than the original standard deviation.

4. \(x=(3-0)=3\) and \(y=3+0=3\): The new set is \({1, 3, 3, 3, 5}\) and its standard deviation is \(1.265\), which is the lowest the standard deviation can go with a pair of new elements added to the set (the difference between these values and the mean is \(0\)).

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Gmat Club Math Book Doubt &nbs [#permalink] 19 Aug 2018, 21:28

Gmat Club Math Book Doubt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap