GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 08:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Gmat club test vs actual gmat? Difference in score!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Gmat club test vs actual gmat? Difference in score!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 04:50
I have taken multiple mocks from the official gmat mock to the veritas mock prep. my verbal scores have ranged from 32 to 38, with 38 being my latest score.
However today i took a gmat club verbal test, and got only 28?

I noticed that i got multiple 700 and 600 questions right, so i just thought that 28 is too low a score. I take the GMAT Test in 8 days, so i am a little freaked out.

Also, i noticed in the analysis, that questions are bracketed in difficulty levels by the 100's, ie. 500-600, 600-700 and so on.

Is that true on the actual gmat too? Because the mocks on Veritas Prep bracket the difficulty levels into groups of 50, ie. 600-650, 650-700 and so on?

Any help would be highly appreciated!
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Gmat club test vs actual gmat? Difference in score!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 04:57
bakshiaashna wrote:
Also, i noticed in the analysis, that questions are bracketed in difficulty levels by the 100's, ie. 500-600, 600-700 and so on.

Is that true on the actual gmat too? Because the mocks on Veritas Prep bracket the difficulty levels into groups of 50, ie. 600-650, 650-700 and so on?

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Hi bakshiaashna,

No, the actual GMAT does not use that scale at all during the exam. It uses a continuous scale, and scores on that scale are mapped to the 200-800 scale at the end of the exam. The 200-800 and 6-51 scales are used to make it easier for test takers and schools to interpret scores.
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 08:23
It is also worth noting that each source you use for study will have a certain feel to it, and switching from one source to another can prove a bit jarring at first and affect your performance. If you get used to official questions and, say, reading passages and decide to practice GMAT Club versions of the same, you will certainly notice the small differences in passage phrasing, question phrasing, and so on. The reason is simple: GMAC™ does not license its questions for third-party use, so every other question writer can only approximate what a GMAT-style passage and question will look like. Furthermore, many community members, some very high-scoring members at that, have posted on the generally higher level of difficulty of the GMAT Club quant questions, compared to official ones, but such members have generally found these harder questions to be of use in helping them reach higher scores on the official exam. I cannot speak to a consensus on the GMAT Club verbal questions, but take everything with a grain of salt--learn what you can conceptually, and seek to apply any knowledge you gain to subsequent questions you take on, whether they come from third parties or from GMAC™.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Director
Director
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2020, 09:42
Even though gmat club tests consist of good quant questions , their score cannot be compared with your actual gmat testThhey are not so adaptive
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 17:28
Hi bakshiaashna,

Since taking your last practice exam have you taken any official GMAC practice exams? If so, what was your score?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 00:13
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi bakshiaashna,

Since taking your last practice exam have you taken any official GMAC practice exams? If so, what was your score?

Hey, i am taking my first attempt at the GMAT tomorrow. Will update my score here!
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 08:46
bakshiaashna wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi bakshiaashna,

Hey, i am taking my first attempt at the GMAT tomorrow. Will update my score here!

Good luck!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Gmat club test vs actual gmat? Difference in score!   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2020, 08:46

Gmat club test vs actual gmat? Difference in score!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep