Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 06-28-2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT DIARY- DEAD LINE: 30 AUG - TARGET : 730 [#permalink]
enkie wrote:
Just copied and pasted from my old profile evaluation thread...

I'm a 31 year-old east Asian American female aiming to apply in R1 for Fall 2012 matriculation.

Education
-College - Studied fashion design 2 years at top art school (Parsons School of Design -- transferred).
-Bachelors in International Trade and Marketing at a not well known school with 3.85/4.0 GPA, Dean's List.
-MPA in International Economic Policy and Management from Columbia University (3.89/4.0 GPA). Was elected as my program's student chair.
-A+ in economics at Columbia.

*note: I worked full time through college and graduate school with full time course load.

Work Experience
-5 years as Web designer and developer at medium sized education NGO.
-4 years as Assistant Director of Web Communications at Columbia University.
-1.5 years as Director of New Media at a well known, mid-sized environmental NGO.
-Just started new position (also related to new media and Web) at the US Treasury.

GMAT
Aiming for 700+, realistically expecting 680 - 720. Latest Manhattan GMAT CAT test score 740 (Q46, V45), hoping to take a few more CATs in the next 2 weeks before my scheduled exam on June 25.

Leadership Experience & Volunteer
-Was elected student chair for my program at Columbia University. Participated in Columbia's dean search committee for the School of International and Public Affairs. Represented Columbia University on policy study tours to Japan, Nigeria and Ghana.
-Hired and Managed teams of designers, developers and vendors at all my jobs except for the very first one.
- Negotiated contracts and managed budgets.
-Lead strategy discussions at senior levels at my two previous jobs (current job is too early to tell), as well as implemented those strategies with my teams.
-Served, several times, on a panel of judges that determined scholarship awards for my undergrad school.
-Led a viral campaign targeting Discovery Communications and Sarah Palin that received national media attention.
-For my master thesis at Columbia, I was handpicked by faculty to work with a team of graduate students to produce a paper for the World Bank, examining the economic relationship between China and Africa. This paper was used in a Beijing briefing conference for African officials hosted by the World Bank.
- Volunteers regularly for local area cleanups and holiday toy drives.

Language & Travel & Extras
Native fluency in English and Mandarin Chinese
Basic proficiency in Japanese and Taiwanese
Extensive travel in North America (US & Canada), South America (Chile, Argentina, Peru, Easter Island), Africa (Nigeria, Ghana), Europe (UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Monaco, Austria), and Asia (Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong)
I am pretty good at art things like drawing (charcoal, pencil, pastels) and painting (oil, acrylic, gauche). Designing for online medias. Photography.
Did I mention I make a delicious four-cheese bacon macaroni and cheese that is to die for?
I played dodge ball and am absolutely horrible at it.

Top Choices
Wharton
London Business School
INSEAD
MIT
Stanford

Safety
Oxford
Cambridge
HEC Paris

Post MBA Plans
Would like to focus on business strategy and foreign market penetration for one of the big name mobile firms in US or Europe. Would also be very interested in exploring innovative mobile technology that targets business and education use in developing and third world countries -- possible entrepreneur route. Would like to leverage my past experiences in new media and viral campaigns and my MPA in international econommics to help me go in this direction.

Thats a great profile :) All the best for the Gmat.

My profile is as below:

I am 29 Years old Female - From India living and working in London.

Bachelors in Fashion from NIFT - India.
Percentage aggregate of 3 years: 64%
WE 1 - 1.2 years - Assistant Designer at an Export House - Ind: Export/Import
WE 2 - 1.2 years - Senior Designer with a leading retail chain in India - Ind: Retail
WE 3 - 0.6 Years - Part/ fulltime Experience working with Import houses based out of London
WE 4 - 4 years - Senior Merchandiser with a sales office (Based in London) of a vertically integrated Manufacturer based in Asia. I have headed a merchandising department and have dealt with UK's few of the largest high street retailers and departmental stores.

Overall 7 years work experience in garment industry in India and in UK in designing to merchandising. I have worked with firms dealing in Export, Retail, Import and Manufacturing hence have gained complete and thorough knowledge of the garment trade.

E.C activities: I do not have a long list of EC activities but there are a few which I would like to mention below.
1. Had assisted a London based designer to put up collections for London Fashion Week, Assisted him for almost a year.
2. Active member of Vipassana organization - An organization that spreads awareness about an ancient technique of meditation.
3. Had participated in a project to promote Indian hand woven fabric Khadi.

Aiming Gmat score between 700-730.

Target Schools - Oxford, Cambridge, HEC, ISB

Dream Schools - LBS, Insead
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
I hear you on the weekend temptations. I've already mass emailed all my friends to apologize that I would be missing in action from weekend plans. Although I try to go out to brunches since being cooped up at home all day isn't exactly healthy either. :)

Your profile looks great! And I think having that creative flair will distinguish you from a lot of the applicants who come from traditional industries like finance, consulting, etc. I think with EC, it's about the quality not quantity. You've done some interesting things so I wouldn't worry too much. What are your post MBA goals?

I think the great thing about European programs is that a lot of them are 1 year programs which saves you time and money -- that is, if you don't need an internship to do what you want to do post MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
enkie wrote:
I hear you on the weekend temptations. I've already mass emailed all my friends to apologize that I would be missing in action from weekend plans. Although I try to go out to brunches since being cooped up at home all day isn't exactly healthy either. :)

Your profile looks great! And I think having that creative flair will distinguish you from a lot of the applicants who come from traditional industries like finance, consulting, etc. I think with EC, it's about the quality not quantity. You've done some interesting things so I wouldn't worry too much. What are your post MBA goals?

I think the great thing about European programs is that a lot of them are 1 year programs which saves you time and money -- that is, if you don't need an internship to do what you want to do post MBA.

Thanks for your motivating words :) At the moment I just want to add a good score in my profile and still really wished if my EC was better.

You are right, I am more inclined towards 1 year programme ( except LBS), though I can not ignore that US schools are pretty good so i still got to research on US schools and have to list down where i fit in, in terms of my profile and (future) gmat score.

Post MBA- I would ideally like to go for a career change though the fact is 1 year programmes do not offer great possibilities when it comes to career change. Secondly I have worked in a completely different industry so switching to Consulting, Finance, Banking or IT would be like starting my career all over again hence I would prefer to work in Fashion/ Luxury goods industry, preferably in business structuring & strategy development.

Although I strongly believe that B-school will change, break and rebuild, add or subtract ideas and will give us insight about what we should be doing upon graduating hence more than anything I am really looking forward to the B-school experience...:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It has been a month and i have been pretty inactive on this forum...was dead busy at work since my manager was made redundant and I am supposed to handle responsibilities he used to.

Anyway...the studies still going on, quite slow but i havent quit...I managed to complete 2 quant books and 1/2 of the 3rd one...I am planning to complete 4 of 5 quant books by this weekend and start with verbal.

56 days left...:(
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts