It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Experience (760 / 50Q / 42V / 8IR / 6AWA)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [2], given: 0

GMAT Experience (760 / 50Q / 42V / 8IR / 6AWA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
I hope this post can be helpful for those looking to take the GMAT and are already working.

I decided to try to go to B-school pretty late in the game. I've been out of school for about 4 years now and decided to take my test in late June. I signed up for a test date of September 9.

At first, I was pretty apprehensive about the test because I have not been a historically good test taker. But I figured that it should not stop me from trying to go back to school. My study plan lasted 10 weeks with 2 hours of studying on the weekdays a practice test on Saturday, and practice test review on Sundays.

Since my major was quant heavy, I mainly focused on studying for the verbal section. The study materials that I used: Official Guide (2017) and Manhattan Prep RC/IR/SC strategy guides. I read through the Manhattan Prep books in about 4 weeks and then focused on the official guide for practice the last 4 weeks. Overall, I took 8 practice tests, the two that were given when you signed up for the test and the 6 from Manhattan Prep. I took the first of the official one then the 6 Manhattan Prep ones and then finally the last official GMAT one. I did not really see any marked improvement in my practice scores, but just by taking the test and focusing on timing and getting accustomed to the question types really helped me on the test date.

I thought that the quant and IR sections were tough with Manhattan Prep, but it forced me to be faster on the exam. So don't be too discouraged if you get low quant and IR scores on your practice tests.

Kudos [?]: 3 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 25

Re: GMAT Experience (760 / 50Q / 42V / 8IR / 6AWA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 02:34
Congratulations for the great score!
Can you tell us how much did your score improve between first practice test and the last one?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 25

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 10:03
Yah! Sure thing. I improved 10 points :p

But I was not focused too much on the score, but rather getting familiar with the questions and how to solve them. I also then knew that I could've gotten about half of what I got wrong correct if I didnt make careless errors. So on the test, I was probably just hyper focused and was able to execute on the game plan that I set out to do that I developed (but not necessarily executed as well on practice tests).

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 594 [0], given: 16

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
GMAT Experience (760 / 50Q / 42V / 8IR / 6AWA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 20:28
Hi ryansc,

Congrats on getting the GMAT out of your way.
Could you please detail your strategy in Verbal :)
What would you suggest me to do in these last few days leading up to the exam?

All the best for the applications

Thanks in advance

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Kudos [?]: 594 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 09:48
I don't think there is going to be a silver bullet for things, besides practice (from the official guide).

I also think the one issue that I had during all the practice was jumping at answers that sounded right without fully reading and understanding the other options. So being patient and actually reading all the answer choices unbiasedly will probably help you in the long run.

Re: GMAT Experience (760 / 50Q / 42V / 8IR / 6AWA)   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2017, 09:48

GMAT Experience (760 / 50Q / 42V / 8IR / 6AWA)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap