GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 13:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Extra Time Question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Extra Time Question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 20:25
Hey everybody, I have a question about extra time on the GMAT.

I have been studying for the past 3 months and my exam is scheduled for this weekend. However, I have OCD and the last month of studying has made it sink in how much of an impact it is having on my scores - e.g., I understand the concepts and strategies but have immense trouble progressing through the questions in a timely way due to the OCD. I think I am capable of getting into the low/mid 700's but my OCD slows me down so much and is a real issue to me getting there. So, I have decided to apply for 50% extra time, which I think will help.

For the exam this weekend, I know that I am going to cancel my scores regardless as I am definitely not where I need to be score-wise yet (I figured I would use this weekend as a test run as I am a nervous test-taker anyways).

My question is: Will taking the GMAT without accommodations somehow impact their decision on whether or not I get extra time for the second test date? Since I know that I want to apply for more time, would it be beneficial to just not show up this weekend and get the application for extra time started (essentially giving them a blank slate to make the judgment off)? Does this matter at all?

For context: I have had OCD since I was a child but have only been seeing a psychiatrist/therapist for the last 3 years. Have never gotten extra time on an exam before (as I was undiagnosed until these last few years). My psychiatrist would obviously attest to the fact that I do have OCD.

Any insight here would be appreciated. Not too sure how this all works. Thanks!
SC Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Extra Time Question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 23:06
Well, I don't see OCD anywhere in the GMAC's disability policy so I doubt if they'll grant you extra time. One of my friends has ADHD and he got the extra time, which in my opinion certainly didn't help him much. you can read about their policy here: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat/before-t ... sabilities. Btw, is OCD really affecting your test day performance? Kindly write a short debrief about your test experience so that we can help you improve. you can write a debrief here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/share-gmat-e ... 8/?fl=menu

Here it is: https://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-correction-cheat-sheet-and-guidelines-for-selecting-answers-317981.html#p2471072

Whatever it takes...Until your spirit Breaks
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 23:52
pepesilvia14 - I am so sorry to hear your situation. Unfortunately, the short answer is no. GMAC does not consider OCD a disability. Only physical disabilities are considered by GMAC. You write to or call the the local Pearson VUE customer care team to check the exact criteria.

Copying the official GMAC representative to provide more insights. OfficialGMAT

New to GMAT Club? Start with the study plan!
Should I retake GMAT? Retaking GMAT Strategies!

What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2020, 19:31
Hi pepesilvia14,

To answer your immediate question: NO - taking the GMAT under regular timing conditions will likely have NO impact whatsoever on whether you are granted testing accommodations (re: extra time) or not on your next attempt. As such, since you're so close to your Official Test Date, you should plan to take the GMAT as scheduled. Regardless of whether you actually qualify for that type of accommodation for your next attempt or not, you can use this first attempt as a learning experience.

Once you have your score results, you should post back here. Beyond that data, before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2020, 20:41
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
I am so sorry to hear your situation. Unfortunately, the short answer is no. GMAC does not consider OCD a disability. Only physical disabilities are considered by GMAC. You write to or call the the local Pearson VUE customer care team to check the exact criteria.

Thanks for the response! I called them and they said that OCD is something they would consider.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2020, 20:43
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi pepesilvia14,

To answer your immediate question: NO - taking the GMAT under regular timing conditions will likely have NO impact whatsoever on whether you are granted testing accommodations (re: extra time) or not on your next attempt. As such, since you're so close to your Official Test Date, you should plan to take the GMAT as scheduled. Regardless of whether you actually qualify for that type of accommodation for your next attempt or not, you can use this first attempt as a learning experience.

Once you have your score results, you should post back here. Beyond that data, before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich, I appreciate these questions! I have decided that I will take the exam Saturday for practice based on your message as well as my conversation with the GMAT folks earlier today. Thanks and I will respond more fully after Saturday.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2020, 18:43
Hi pepesilvia14,

How did things end up with your GMAT?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
197 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Extra Time Question   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2020, 18:43

GMAT Extra Time Question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep