GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

GMAT First Attempt :690. Want to reach atleast 740+ in 2 months.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Rotman
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
GMAT First Attempt :690. Want to reach atleast 740+ in 2 months.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 08:28
Hello world,

I gave my first gmat on 18th of Oct,2018. I scored a 690: Q49 V35 AWA 5 & IR 8 and was pretty much heartbroken on seeing that score; My gmatprep scores will further show you why. I have attached my ESR at the end but I would suggest anyone who wants to help me to read what I have written about my prep

Background: Indian, Just completed my Bachelors in Technology and have started a job in an MNC. I prepared for gmat in the 1.5-month gap I had in between my college final exams and the joining date for my job.

Materials I have or used and rating them on the scale on 1-10 of how much they impacted my prep and score :

OG 2018 and Verbal Review 2019 - 8 & 9 respectively : Finished completely (only once)

E gmat prep - 8 & 5.5 for magoosh blogs: Studied SC and CR from there ( Didn't have time to revisit the videos or use scholaranium so have just seen them once ) This was my only source of prep for verbal along with some magoosh blogs(love each one of them) I studied at the end of my prep. They were mostly blogs on that v which and so on. Also studied a little on idioms from magoosh idioms book, it was indeed very good and informative. For RC, didn't study the theory from anywhere, just used my CR skills to pass through them. Combining RC's from OG and Verbal Review, I would say I had 90-95% accuracy in Easy-Medium RC's and 80% on the Harder ones(700+).

gmatclub tests - 8: Just managed to attempt 6 quant tests but I revisited every wrong and flagged questions. My scores were Q47,48,49,50,49,50 (Just used Gmat quant club guide to study quant sinceI have a pretty solid base in maths) Although now I feel I took quant a bit lightly since the quant I encountered in my GMAT was much harder and had very lengthy questions.

MGMAT - 3: Just have attempted 2 mgmat and scored 680( gave it in the initial stage of prep) and 720 (gave it 2 weeks before my exam). Have 4MGMAT mocks left.

GMAT prep - 10 : Now here is why I was shattered on test day. This has been my performance on gmat prep. I have used 5 mocks once and have 1 mock that I haven't used at all.

GMATprep1: 720 - Q50 V37 ( Gave it 2 weeks after I started my prep )
GMATprep2: 720 - Q50 V38 ( Gave it 1 week after mock1)
GMATprep3: 770 - Q51 V42 ( Gave it 2 weeks before my actual GMAT)
GMATprep4: 740 - Q50 V40 (Gave it 1 week before my actual GMAT, had 2 questions wrong on quant )
GMATprep5: 740 - Q51 V40 (Gave it 3 days before my Gmat)
GMATprep6: Not attempted yet

In the last 4 gmatprep mocks, I would say out of all my verbal mistakes, 75-80% of them were SC while the rest RC or CR, varying from exam to exam. Usually had I would have either 2 rc 1 cr wrong or 1 rc 2 cr and around 5-6 wrong in SC. I tried a lot to improve my SC but for some reason, it has been very hard to improve. Although I would say I have loved Magoosh content, esp the blogs and idioms book.

Manhattan SC/RC/CR book 6th Edition - 1 : Yet to touch them

GMAT ninja videos on SC - NA: Added to watch list and will watch them soon. Didn't have time before I gave my GMAT.

Time in hand : Now that I have started my job, I would say I can give 2-3 hours per day to my gmat prep everyday on weekdays and 8-10 hours on weekend. Want to give 2nd attempt in 2 months.

I haven't decided when to give my next attempt and I want to give it my all. I don't want to give it a third time. I want to conquer this in the second attempt.
I want to reach a minimum of 740 and I know I can get Q50 V40 if I study smart. I want to focus on SC alot and work on my quant side my side seriously too. I doubt if I even saw more than 4-5 easy questions on my gmat quant. Meanwhile on gmatprep, even on gmatclub I saw atleast 10 questions that I would say were rather short and easy to do.

Anyway, I'm done with my story and eagerly waiting for any advice that might push me in the right direction. I just feel constantly restless and I won't be completely stress-free until I reach my goal.

PM me if you want any review of the material or just want to talk about some aspect of gmat.

ESR attached below.
Attachments

File comment: ESR
Anish Dassi_341087029_ESR.pdf [480.5 KiB]
Downloaded 30 times

To download please login or register as a user

RC Moderator
P
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT First Attempt :690. Want to reach atleast 740+ in 2 months.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 08:45
Hello anishraina

Good Evening. Really sorry to here that the score did not met your expectation.

I definitely donot consider myself an GMAT expert , but here are my 2 cents.

690 is not at all a bad score ( may be not good by your standard ) . OA-690 V-35 Q-49 - means you have almost complete grasp of most (99.9% - nothing is 100 % :-) ) of the concepts tested in GMAT . I strongly believe if you can manage your time better at the exam , the yield would be at least another 20-40 points .

In your ESR it is evident that:
1. At the 1st section of the Q you stretched too much at some Qs, resulting relatively more time pressure for the rest ( specially 2nd section ) ..... so definitely u can gain at least a point in Q.

2. At the 3rd section of V the same behavior is observed......... I believe you can gain 3-5 points here .... may be more

So..... donot get disheartened ...... u r almost there
All the best.

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Rotman
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT First Attempt :690. Want to reach atleast 740+ in 2 months.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 08:49
u1983 wrote:
Hello anishraina

Good Evening. Really sorry to here that the score did not met your expectation.

I definitely donot consider myself an GMAT expert , but here are my 2 cents.

690 is not at all a bad score ( may be not good by your standard ) . OA-690 V-35 Q-49 - means you have almost complete grasp of most (99.9% - nothing is 100 % :-) ) of the concepts tested in GMAT . I strongly believe if you can manage your time better at the exam , the yield would be at least another 20-40 points .

In your ESR it is evident that:
1. At the 1st section of the Q you stretched too much at some Qs, resulting relatively more time pressure for the rest ( specially 2nd section ) ..... so definitely u can gain at least a point in Q.

2. At the 3rd section of V the same behavior is observed......... I believe you can gain 3-5 points here .... may be more

So..... donot get disheartened ...... u r almost there
All the best.

Umm, If I can recollect correctly, I would say I encountered around 2 RC in this stage. Now If I am to compare them to OG verbal RC, I would say they were of lvl 700+. I also seem to recollect 2 RC and 1 CR question where I spent at least 3-4 mins on them (max 4.5 mins on two of those 3 ques, I was ahead of my target time so thought might as well spend it here). I would say in all 3 questions I was terribly confused in between 2 options. I tried to be focused throughout verbal since I knew it was my weak area and a good score here will def be the push I need to reach 740.

Also, I would say my first question on quant was either wrong(0.1% chance) or just incredibly hard. Here is a blunder I did, I spent around 6 mins on it. I doubled checked everything, every single word of the question but I couldn't figure out what the hell went wrong. In any of the mocks never did I ever get such a hard question as the first question. I spent so much time on it because ik the first question is v imp and I feared maybe it was an easy question and I am missing something. If I get this wrong, I will never be able to recover.
Also, I took this much time because ik I'm good at quant, many questions in quant were pretty basic for me and I can do them under 1 min so I took that risk. Unfortunately, never did that many easy -medium questions show up and thus halfway through I realized maybe I will only get such hard questions and I'm seriously not on the time I should be. On checking my esr, it just confirmed my guess. In all 4 sections, I got questions of the mid to high difficulty and I was behind. I feel so stupid why I did that. But honestly, I have studied maths from elementary to college and aced it all these years. I did solve that 1st question and my answer wasn't even in the options. I triple checked but that bore no fruit. I got frustrated, made a guess that I felt could be the answer and moved on. I still remember that question *sigh* PS It was from ratio and proportion. A relatively easy topic for me during prep and mocks.
RC Moderator
P
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
GMAT First Attempt :690. Want to reach atleast 740+ in 2 months.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 09:01
You already know about the issues. No situation would be better than this.
Common Sire ..... get ready to kill GMAT. We , the GMATClubbers , will be waiting for your debrief :-) .

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 17:14
Hi anishraina,

I responded to you in detail here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-first-a ... 80016.html

Please reach out with any further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT First Attempt :690. Want to reach atleast 740+ in 2 months. &nbs [#permalink] 31 Oct 2018, 17:14

GMAT First Attempt :690. Want to reach atleast 740+ in 2 months.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap