GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 15:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT in 20 days - Need help !

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stern '21
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
GMAT in 20 days - Need help !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 09:41
Hello All,

I have been preparing for GMAT from past 5 months, have finished all the 3 OG's, e-gmat verbal scholaranium and gmat club tests. I gave few mocks GMAT Prep 2- Q 49, V 26 (pretty less), Kaplan free Mock Q 45, V 34. I am now planning to revise the error logs and the OG's. I have 9 mocks left in total, 2 veritas, 5 Kaplan and 2 GMAT official prep. I am planning to give these as well ad analyse them thoroughly. I am not sure if i should go about with some additional material, since I feel 20 days is a good time to brush up my concepts that will help me to improve in my weak areas and strengthen my strong areas. I am doing really poor at verbal at times because of poor strategies for solving RC questions that takes ample amount of time and causes an havoc at later questions of the verbal section.
While analysing my previous 3 mocks I have also noticed that when I attempt maximum right questions in first 10-11 questions, the test throws better questions and scale up my score.

Please help me with your suggestions and let me know if this would be a right approach till the D day.

Thanks,
Sheetal
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
GMAT in 20 days - Need help !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Oct 2019, 06:41
Here are my suggestions:

1) First of all, decide your overall target score, and then accordingly decide your sectional target scores. You need to do this to decide how much improvement you need to make, and then to accordingly put in effort and frame your strategies.

2) Identify your all sorts of your conceptual, physical or mental issues. I listed 13 issues with myself after my first GMAT attempt. Working towards those issues improved my score later. You do the same.

3) No need to try any new material for problem solving. Simply spend quality time on filling conceptual gaps by going back to concept modules and by thoroughly analyzing the solutions of questions you've attempted so far. This is the best way to maximize learning. Given the number of questions that you've tried so far, it's enough to cover most concepts that are required.

4) Best way to up your score is to improve in Verbal section. Target SC section as it's easier to improve SC score in short time than is in the other two sections. This is true in general, but you can decide better for yourself.

5) Read my response at https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-timin ... s#p2231716 to know how to better manage your time.

6) Don't try to revise all the questions attempted so far. Pick topics and questions to revise that are either your weakness or frequently tested in GMAT.

7) Evenly split final 14 days before GMAT for learning, testing and revising. Revision is more important than new learning at this stage.

8) For the last 6 days, simply go back to your concept modules and Error Log.

9) Do not take any mock test 3 days before the exam.

10) Don't overwork yourself. Take sometime out to chill everyday so that your mind can absorb all the learning.

11) Enjoy the process of learning and improving.

You can make significant improvements in your GMAT preparation provided you improve your conceptual understanding of the topics, devise your improvement plan and learn to execute your time management strategies that work for you.

Feel free to reach out to me with any specific queries.

All the best!

Originally posted by iamsiddharthkapoor on 24 Feb 2019, 13:00.
Last edited by iamsiddharthkapoor on 13 Oct 2019, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT in 20 days - Need help !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 13:16
Hi Sheetal15,

Each CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not.

In addition, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically should not take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. By extension, taking 9 CATs in 20 days is NOT a good idea. You have enough time to take 3-4 additional CATs, but that's it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 22:44
Sheetal15 wrote:
Hello All,

I have been preparing for GMAT from past 5 months, have finished all the 3 OG's, e-gmat verbal scholaranium and gmat club tests. I gave few mocks GMAT Prep 2- Q 49, V 26 (pretty less), Kaplan free Mock Q 45, V 34. I am now planning to revise the error logs and the OG's. I have 9 mocks left in total, 2 veritas, 5 Kaplan and 2 GMAT official prep. I am planning to give these as well ad analyse them thoroughly. I am not sure if i should go about with some additional material, since I feel 20 days is a good time to brush up my concepts that will help me to improve in my weak areas and strengthen my strong areas. I am doing really poor at verbal at times because of poor strategies for solving RC questions that takes ample amount of time and causes an havoc at later questions of the verbal section.
While analysing my previous 3 mocks I have also noticed that when I attempt maximum right questions in first 10-11 questions, the test throws better questions and scale up my score.

Please help me with your suggestions and let me know if this would be a right approach till the D day.

Thanks,
Sheetal
Taking so many tests in such a short period of time is probably not going to help much. If you do go ahead with your testing plan, try to give yourself at least a few days to recover before your actual exam.

How close are you to your target score?
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 11:33
Hi Sheetal15,

I have two important questions: What is your latest practice test score from an official practice exam and what is your goal score? I ask because 20 days is really not a lot of time, so before I provide advice, I’d like to make sure that hitting your score goal is feasible in just 20 days.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-sente ... 89360.html

I agree; there is no such tool. Are you looking for advice on how to improve your GMAT Sentence Correction skills?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT in 20 days - Need help !   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2019, 11:33

GMAT in 20 days - Need help !

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep