It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Journey Beginners

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Journey Beginners [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
So after a week of stalking the GMAT Club website reading posts after posts, I've decided to throw myself into the action. I'm a social sciences graduate and currently work in an investment bank. I plan on applying to business school come September this year. :grin:

Genesis: GMAT STORY

I have bought all the materials that I will need to conquer the GMAT beast. These materials are based on suggestions and reviews from fellow GMAT Club members. (Rockstars!)

I'm giving myself 3 months to prepare and largely following @bb's study plan. My goal is to score 750+, GO hard or Go home right? :idontknow:

To figure out where I currently stand as well as a guide to weak areas I took the OG Diagnostic Test, MGMAT CAT 1 and the GMAT Exam Prep. The results were not pretty:

MGMAT : 500 (Q29,V30)
GMAT PREP 470 (Q24,V31)

I know the reasons for the low scores are due to a rustiness in exams and in the concepts covered in the GMAT. I want my story from starting here and getting to 750+ to inspire people so I'm getting my head down and getting stuck in. First up is Quant.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Re: GMAT Journey Beginners [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
Gwamrz Keep up the good work!

I just started studying not too long ago, with plans to take the test in mid-March (target score of 750). As far as your results go, you have to start somewhere. Just keep track of your progress and you'll start to identify your stronger/weaker areas right away.

Definitely think the Manhattan Prep materials are most useful for getting the fundamentals down and the Official GMAT materials are great for real test scenarios.

KapTest Diagnostic: 590
KapTest CAT 1: 640 (after 1.5 weeks of studying)

What's your study plan look like?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 05:07
Sure dvishal387

So, I studied twice a day, for a total of about 3 hours per day on weekdays and 4-5 hours per day on weekends. Here's roughly what I did:

Morning:
-100 topic specific problems, focusing on fundamental concepts (untimed, but usually no more than 20 minutes)
-Quick readthrough of GMAT Pocket Reference Guide (Quant section only) (20 minutes)
-Manhattan Prep, readthrough of 2 Quant-related Books + any related questions (45 minutes - 1.5 hours)
-Kaplan Premier Quantitative Strategy & Algebra problems (45 minutes - 1.5 hours)

Evening
-100 topic specific problems, focusing on fundamental concepts (timed and recorded - started out at 13 minutes timed, but trimmed to roughly 5-6 minutes)
-Quick readthrough of GMAT Pocket Reference Guide (Quant section only) (20 minutes)
-Official GMAT: Math/Quant Review questions (45 minutes - 1.5 hours)
-Manhattan Prep, readthrough of 2 Quant-related Books + any related questions (45 minutes - 1.5 hours)

*I also reviewed my diagnostic test to see where I needed the most improvement. So, I used that to inform what Quant sections I would study. I essentially went through as many concepts and problems in each readthrough until I wasn't making many mistakes.

**Track everything. I'd do a problem set of 25, time it and calculate the percentage score every time. This helped me immensely.

***I work as a digital analyst, but the math I use on a daily basis is a little different than what's included on the GMAT, so I knew I needed a refresher. To be honest, I saw the most improvement by just getting the fundamentals down and memorizing formulas.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 02:42
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Streetman925!

It's great to find a fellow GMAT 750+ warrior. It's good to know that someone is also fighting the good fight! My study Plan is as follows. I have already made a start on Quants as it is my weakest topic I want to give it considerable time.

February: Conquer Quants
-Finish MGMAT Quant guides
-Attempt all Quant OG questions
-Attempt all GMAT Club quant homework and brunel questions
-Take Quant Diagnostic/ CAT
-Address weak areas from Dianostic analysis

March: Conquer Verbal
-Do all of the above but for Verbal

April: Test Month
-Practice exam strategies e.g timing
-Do combined set of questions and exhaust all question banks
-Adopt and practice 750+ exam techniques and stamina

That's my study plan high level :grin: . What materials are you using? Also are you doing the process all though self study?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 17:35
This post received
KUDOS
Nice Gwamrz! Yeah, 750 will be tough, but it'll be worth it.

I'm kinda the same in regards to the Quant section. Definitely weaker than my Verbal.

I'm digging the study plan though! Never heard of the Brunel questions, so I'll have to check them out. Are you taking CATs each week? Highly recommend it to see how your progress changes overtime.

As far as study materials go, I'm using:
-Manhattan Prep Study Guides 0-9
-Official GMAT Guides (General, Quant-focus and Verbal-focus)
-Kaplan GMAT 800
-Kaplan GMAT Premier
-KapTest (Online CATs, etc.)

And, I ran across a download of some GMAT flashcards somewhere in the forums. Let me see if I can find it and I'll send your way!

Yep, I'm doing all self study. Hitting roughly 20-30 hours per week of study. I keep coming across all of these posts about test takers that studied for 120+ hours and achieved 700+ scores. Figured I'd try the same!
Re: GMAT Journey Beginners   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2018, 17:35

GMAT Journey Beginners

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap