GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

gmat official guide 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
gmat official guide 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 15:15
Hi,
I can't understand if the OG Rewiev 2019 is comprehensive of both the quant and verbal rewiev...do i need to buy all the 3 books?
ty in advance
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
gmat official guide 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 16:37
Michele95 wrote:
Hi,
I can't understand if the OG Rewiev 2019 is comprehensive of both the quant and verbal rewiev...do i need to buy all the 3 books?
ty in advance

The Official Guide 2019 has both Quant and Verbal problems. It's about evenly split between the two.

The Guide to Quantitative Review has just Quant problems. These are new problems that don't overlap with the Official Guide.

The same is true for the Guide to Verbal review. Just Verbal problems, no overlap with the Official Guide.

They're all useful, but you don't need to buy the other two books until you've thoroughly worked through the Official Guide!

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Re: gmat official guide 2019  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 21:01
Hi Michele95,

The primary Official Guide that's produced each year is a valuable resource for practice questions - and I highly recommend that all Test Takers work with a relatively recent version of that book. The two subject-specific books (the Quant-only and Verbal-only books) aren't necessarily resources that you'll need during your studies though. All things considered, you will likely need MORE than just a book (or some books) during your studies though.

From your post, it sounds like you're just beginning your studies. If that's the case, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 01:52
I already took the exam to be honest, and i got a 640 (Q44 V34) after two week of studying on Manhattan prep.
I didnt practice a lot and i feel that with more practice i could boost a little my score.
I will retake gmat on 18/03.
I will apply to Bocconi ms in finance, im italian.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 12:21
Hi Michele95,

Since you scored 640 after just 2 weeks of study, you are likely already a strong critical thinker - which is good. However, many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. With a March 18th Test Date, you now have just 3.5 weeks of study time remaining - so there will likely be a limit to how much you can improve in that time.

1) What is your overall Score Goal?
2) Will you be applying to Business School sometime soon? What application deadlines (if any) are you currently facing?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 12:24
The deadline for the master i will apply to is March 20th, my goal is the best possible score achievable in this short time.
Btw i bought the OG 2019 ty to your advice, i'm finding very useful doing exercise.

"Since you scored 640 after just 2 weeks of study, you are likely already a strong critical thinker"
That improve my self-esteem :D i felt very frustrated
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 14:52
Hi Michele95,

Based on this initial CAT result, you have the potential to pick up some significant points in both the Quant and Verbal sections, but 3 weeks probably won't be enough time for you to 'master' both sections. As such, you might want to focus a bit more on whichever section you find easier and spend more of your time honing the skills needed for that section.

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about this CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 01:27
I dont know how to review the result in each section of the test.

By the way, i can try to answer:
1) Silly mistake more often on easy question that on harder, but when im practicing at home im not as concentrated as during the test.
2) Math, it happens, that's why i'm reading again manhattan books...i felt often that the hard thing wasnt the reasoning but the remembering.
Verbal, i didnt study anything so i had not the problem to remember.
3) When the question is too hard often i cant get it right, but i didnt practice a lot on hard question
4) Im never low in time...if i know how to get the answer im fast, if i dont know no matter how much time i spend, i will get that wrong, so i prefer to guess
5) I dont work in that way, i dont write down anything..maybe i should start.

I find verbal much easier than quant, i have no problem in critical reasoning and reading comprehension...while sentence correction is often a guessing.
For the quant, i think that studying well the book about number properties should help me a lot, so thats what im doing
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 07:03
Hi Michele95,

Since you are looking to retake the exam in just a few weeks, are you looking for advice regarding your study plan? Also, what is your GMAT score goal?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 18:33
Hi Michele95,

I was actually referring to the last practice CAT/mock Test that you may have taken before you took the Official GMAT. Did you take any practice CATs during that time (or since)? If you have, then we can review those results to define WHY you're getting questions wrong - and what you should work on going forward.

If you have not taken any CATs, then there are 2 that you can take for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials).

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your Official attempt. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 03:32
I just took gmat mock 3, got a 670 Q47 V35 (9 and 10 wrong).
In the verbal section i got 6 error on sentence correction.
In the quant section i got wrong a lot of ds problems.

I will focus for the remaining time on sentence correction and on quant...i will ignore reading comprehension and critical reasoning, would be a waste of time in my opinion
GMAT Club Bot
Re: gmat official guide 2019   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2019, 03:32

gmat official guide 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap