Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT on Monday april 12th [#permalink]
widerangeinput wrote:
mbafall2011 wrote:
Just got back- i am a little disappointed.
Q 45 and V 36.
I was scoring 700s in the practice tests. I guess i gave lesser importance to verbal which cost me in the end. The timing was ok, especially verbal. Quant, i walked in 2 minutes after the time had started and that caused me to panic a bit.
Any clue if applying with this score to Haas makes sense?
If not i will probably re-do it around Nov.

thanks

don't worry, I think you still have plenty of time. I am a class of 2013 hopeful as well and have just started studying! Will sit for it in around June/July I guess.

As far as Haas is concerned, their median GMAT score should be somewhere around 710- however your profile as a whole is actually important here- you know the story...

best,

Thanks for the wishes. I plan to concentrate on the entire app process rather than the GMAT score alone. Let me see how that goes! I just realised that my MGMAT scores were very accurate for verbal. My quant - may be because of my nerves dropped on the real test. MGMAT rocks! especially their assessment reports
Manager
Manager
mbafall2011 wrote:
widerangeinput wrote:
mbafall2011 wrote:
Just got back- i am a little disappointed.
Q 45 and V 36.
I was scoring 700s in the practice tests. I guess i gave lesser importance to verbal which cost me in the end. The timing was ok, especially verbal. Quant, i walked in 2 minutes after the time had started and that caused me to panic a bit.
Any clue if applying with this score to Haas makes sense?
If not i will probably re-do it around Nov.

thanks

don't worry, I think you still have plenty of time. I am a class of 2013 hopeful as well and have just started studying! Will sit for it in around June/July I guess.

As far as Haas is concerned, their median GMAT score should be somewhere around 710- however your profile as a whole is actually important here- you know the story...

best,

Thanks for the wishes. I plan to concentrate on the entire app process rather than the GMAT score alone. Let me see how that goes! I just realised that my MGMAT scores were very accurate for verbal. My quant - may be because of my nerves dropped on the real test. MGMAT rocks! especially their assessment reports

that sounds great. you know what, at this exact very same moment I was trying to pick a book/study set. Which MGMAT book-set have you been using? assessment report?? i assume you have been using something online or on a CD? Actually that's the sort of thing that I've been looking for... thanks-
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I went through the entire MGMAT set. If you buy one book, you will get 6 tests online. These tests are very good and close to the real one. Other than GMAT prep nothing else comes close. (Buying more book does not give you more tests. after 6 tests the questions may repeat) Kaplan seemed very difficult.
Of the 7 guides, i would say that FDPs and Geometry are the least useful. Some of them are available for download for free although i don't know about the legality of such a download. You can generate an assessment report of every exam you take which will show you the trends and particular areas where you are weak. OG is a good measure of how difficult questions can get. Besides these two,1012 GMAT is good as the questions are grouped based on topics.

Finally gmatclub is a great resource. Although i took it lightly, i would strongly suggest that you make 200 posts and get free access to the sample tests or pay for it and take the tests. I probably have to give it again myself. Just need to think of 3 months as an additional semester required to get my MBA!

Good Luck
Manager
Manager
mbafall2011 wrote:
I went through the entire MGMAT set. If you buy one book, you will get 6 tests online. These tests are very good and close to the real one. Other than GMAT prep nothing else comes close. (Buying more book does not give you more tests. after 6 tests the questions may repeat) Kaplan seemed very difficult.
Of the 7 guides, i would say that FDPs and Geometry are the least useful. Some of them are available for download for free although i don't know about the legality of such a download. You can generate an assessment report of every exam you take which will show you the trends and particular areas where you are weak. OG is a good measure of how difficult questions can get. Besides these two,1012 GMAT is good as the questions are grouped based on topics.

Finally gmatclub is a great resource. Although i took it lightly, i would strongly suggest that you make 200 posts and get free access to the sample tests or pay for it and take the tests. I probably have to give it again myself. Just need to think of 3 months as an additional semester required to get my MBA!

Good Luck

thanks a lot. so, if I get this right- have you gone through kaplan, 1012 PR and MGMAT guides? what about the OG? Where would you put that into this grouping?

i.e. If I start with MGMAT guides and exams, should I then proceed into OG or what? I am really confused- and losing a lot of time deciding on these sh*t. thanks in advance pal.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I started with Kaplan basics, worked through OG and kaplan exercised and discovered the MGMAT much later. In retrospect, i would say
1) Use MGMAT for Word translations, Number properties, Sentence correction , Inequalities and Geometry and FDP (The first 4 guides are excellent.) CR and FDP are ok.
Once done with the MGMAT sections start doing the OG and Kaplan exercises. Stay away from the kaplan theory as there is nothing to gain except may be RC.
Once you have enough practice, start giving the MGMAT. You could also try to give the gmat club tests before the MGMAT. Use the first2 MGMATs to assess your weaknesses. The assessment reports are an amazing tool. I improved 40 points on quant with that tool- sadly i didnt pay heed to the verbal section.

Once you re-revise those weak areas, try working more problems as suggested in gmatclub forums. Use 1012 GMAT to identify problems based on a particular topic. Repeat 2 MGMAT tests and reiterate. Two weeks before the final exam, give the final 2 MGMATs and also the 2-3 powerprep tests.

In my experience, you should be getting 40 points above your target score in order to account for test day factors- which basically means you could panic during the real deal. Sadly, i have to do this again but hey! who is not up for a challenge!

thanks a lot. so, if I get this right- have you gone through kaplan, 1012 PR and MGMAT guides? what about the OG? Where would you put that into this grouping?

i.e. If I start with MGMAT guides and exams, should I then proceed into OG or what? I am really confused- and losing a lot of time deciding on these sh*t. thanks in advance pal.[/quote]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,

do you really think that MGMAT test are close to the real one??

I did a MGMAT yesterday and found the math section very hard, yet i ended up with 43!!! on the other hand, I did a GMAT practice test last week and i got 36 in math!!
very big difference

what do you think?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MontrealLady, i see what you are saying. The MGMAT is just slightly more tougher especially in number properties and probability but trust me that will help during the exam. It helped me to settle down even though i was behind and then i caught up. As you can see, i lose a chunk of points on my verbal.

The difference is very negligible!
GMAT Club Bot