Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [2]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [1]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Kudos
Here some examples of what can be done with geometry, the main issue I would say that is the "move" function, as it recognises everything that it is drawn as a single object, so you cannot adjust figures if you want them to overlap, etc.

It is quite easy though to draw these figures with the current whiteboard capabilities.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [1]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
ari.banerjee wrote:
ZM308 wrote:
My experience of taking a GRE practice test while I've always been studying for GMAT:

I've been studying for GMAT so far, and my score is around 720-730 (Q50, V37-38). Yesterday I went to GRE website and took one of their practice tests (they have two free tests). This was my first GRE experience. I skipped the two writing parts and directly went to the Verbal and Quant.
I found GRE's Quant much easier than GMAT's. Surprisingly, I got all 40 Quant questions correct without any timing problem (this has never ever happened to me in GMAT that I can get all 31 questions correct on time, I usually have at least a few questions wrong). The GRE software gave me a Quant score of 170.

GMAT quant questions are overall are trickier than GRE's and it's much easier to make mistakes in GMAT. While GRE's questions were more superficial and not as deep in terms of content or hiding something that makes you get something wrong. I'd say the hardest Q questions that I saw in this practice test were in the range of 680-720 in GMAT quant. So imo if everyone is thinking about switching to GRE, you will be just fine and even better off in Quant if you have been preparing for GMAT.

The problem, however, with GRE, at least for me, was their verbal vocabulary questions. I got virtually all vocab questions wrong!! My score was 152 in verbal, which is much lower in terms of percentile compared to 37-38 of GMAT.
The GRE verbal I'd say has three parts: RC, which was similar to GMAT's RC. CR, which was easier than GMAT CR. And Vocab questions, which I found them very hard as someone who has never studied this sort of high level English vocab. The vocabs are much more advanced than what we usually see in the RC, books, news like NY, economist, etc.

So in summary, I'd say the only noticeable difference between GMAT and GRE is vocab questions. In quant section you will do just fine. I'd say if you've been scoring 48-51 in GMAT quant, there is a high chance that you will get a perfect 170 in GRE quant. Those muscles that you've built for GMAT Quant will easily smash the GRE questions.
As for verbal, RC and CR are the same. There is no SC in GRE. Instead you will have a bunch of vocab questions. If english is your first language or if you think you're good in this part, don't hesitate to try to take a GRE test. You may perform even better in GRE overall.

As for me, since I don't have time to start reading the vocab, I'm gonna just stick to GMAT and wait until centers are open and then I will take a GMAT. I think my 720-730 GMAT would probably be better than a 322 in GRE.

At a score of 322 you are above 75% of universities averages. A 720 may not take you so far on gmat (esp if you are Indian) but a 322 will get you into the top 10. Go to clear admit and check out their live wire. Also try the decision tracker on gmat club.

P.S don’t trust the gre powerprep software. It’s much easier than the actual exam. I was scoring 166 and ended up with a 159. Another person I know was scoring 167 and ended up with 155. The actual GRE is much harder and time consuming. Also, if you can spend 2 weeks on the text completion section then you will see that most qs are context driven not vocab driven.

It’s your choice and if you can wait for 6 months and give the gmat at a test center then of course go for that. But don’t discount the GRE esp because you used the gre to gmat converter. GRE average scores are a lot diff in universities that GMAT.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi ari.banerjee,ZM308,
I have appeared for the GRE and have a 325(q:165,v:160). I second ari.banerjee and carcass. I did not find the powerprep to be an accurate reflection of my score. I would also add that I found the first ETS mock to be quite easy and the second to mimic the exam better than the first one. I found the Manhattan GRE to be an accurate assessment. I ended up scoring 323 and 324 in my final 2 mocks and scored 325 on test day.

ari.banerjee,carcass
I was wondering on how to pick colleges based on a GRE score. How does that work for over represented categories like the Indian IT Male? Any leads on how colleges perceive GRE scores for this category?

Thank You!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
DaX1100 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am located in Vienna and was actually aiming to do the exam around end of May. I checked available dates on Vienna's test center on mba.com and it provides dates in May. Considering the fact that school are supposed to continue their classes there is a high chance that there should be no legal reason not do to the GMAT at a test centre.
Do I have to wait until mid-June to book an appointment if I would like to avoid the "GMAT online", or is it possible to do the regular test earlier in case the test center allows?

Thanks

You can book an in-center appointment now if there's availabilities. I registered for an exam on May 2nd in Boston a few days ago. But there is a high chance that they will cancel it as we get closer to the date. I had another appointment for April 18th, which they cancelled it a while back. So for your case if you think the virus is being controlled and businesses will open by the end of May in Vienna, you should be able to register for an exam now if there's any availabilities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Sorry about that :-|

We will be opening up GMaT club tests for unlimited use during Apr 25 and 26. We will build the whiteboard into them for easier use and to get a sense of it works. We will base everything on Souvik’s experience with the test this Tuesday.

GMATOnlineHater wrote:
GMATOnlineHater wrote:
Just did the Manhattan CAT 1 test using their new whiteboard.

Quant 39 37 % Review
Verbal 29 57 % Review
Total 560 44%

This is going to be a disaster.

I just did the two CAT exams on GMATClub. Scored in the 80th percentile in the verbal section but in the 24th percentile in the quant section.

Oh how I miss you, scratchpad....

That's great!!! Let's see how he performs! Thanks for the hardwork!!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MKJeong wrote:
What if I use a pen mouse instead of a normal mouse to use the whiteboard?

And then you will have a very short test :lol:
You cannot use a writing device or a stylus or a touchscreen per the rules.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Just saw this comment on the YouTube:

Noemi Bagno
8 hours ago (edited)
I just received an e-mail from the official GMAC customer center (Shira Stein) and they stated that no stylus is allowed BUT we can use our fingers to tap on the touchscreen and write notes. The e-mail stated: "you will be able to use the touchscreen with your finger, you will not be able to use a stylus".

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msHroJQj2cc
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aaddcc wrote:
Have you also received news about how GMAC might let us use a small whiteboard? (paper size) Thanks

Lol. No :lol: but unless you have, I would not confuse things.

PS. Unfortunately, don’t know any of the answers about folding keyboards - I don’t make the rules (unfortunately) please feel free to send these to GMAC. And please report what you hear back.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Hello,

I was lucky enough to get a pre-application interview with a pretty selective program, typically in the top 10 internationally.

They're getting inundated with applicants complaining about the online GMAT, chiefly the lack of scratch paper and the mandatory use of the whiteboard. So in response they're extending their deadlines and accepting applications and processing them past the point of interviews, but for final decision GMAT will be required.

This is to allow more time, which hopefully means applicants will be able to take the GMAT under normal circumstances.

I typically score in the 710-720 range with a consistent 96% plus in verbal but I definitely struggle with the Quant. section even after 6 months of self-study plus about 20 tutor hours. For me, the online version will be a last resort option as the GMAT as is already pushes my quant. skills to their natural limit and the addition of the whiteboard decimates my score. So hopefully some test centers begin to open up in May for non-medical staff testing.

Just wanted to give my two cents as I'm in the position of needing a GMAT score as soon as possible.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mpiggy wrote:
To those that wrote the exam today - were you able to see your unofficial score?

It is a good question. I don't know if anyone who has taken a test today... any brave souls?
We will know for sure tomorrow as a few people are taking GMAT Online. GMAC said that one is not going to be able to see the score (of course they may be wrong) but it will be emailed separately soon after but in some cases it may take up to 7 days (though usually sooner)
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I also agree with the suggestions of others that the moderators should create a new thread specifically for GMAT Online debriefs, especially now that this thread has stretched to an unmanageable 37 pages and counting, and the online, at-home GMAT has already concluded for some test-takers.

So, who's going to be the first to write a GMAT Online debrief here on GMAT Club? I'm looking forward to finding out.

By the way, my best guess given GMAC's vague wording is that you do NOT receive an "unofficial" score right away, though I initially read it differently as the lack of a unofficial score "preview" before deciding whether to cancel the score, as is done with the test center GMAT: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online- ... l#p2496254

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 20 Apr 2020, 12:51.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 20 Apr 2020, 12:56, edited 2 times in total.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mcelroytutoring wrote:
I also agree with the suggestions of others that the moderators should create a new thread specifically for GMAT Online debriefs, especially now that this thread has stretched to an unmanageable 37 pages and counting, and the exam has already concluded for some test-takers.

So, who's going to be the first to write a GMAT Online debrief here on GMAT Club? I'm looking forward to finding out.

By the way, my best guess given GMAC's vague wording is that you do NOT receive an "unofficial" score right away, though I initially read it differently as the lack of a unofficial score "preview" before deciding whether to cancel the score, as is done with the test center GMAT.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will be happy to start offshoot topics for debriefs and also a few other potential topics such as tips for the online whiteboard and any others you think we should split up and link from this 37-page monster :-o

As to the reason for not showing the score right away, very logic explanation. Quite likely that’s the case.

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I have updated the first post of the topic and added a link to the new debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online- ... 21732.html

I will create separate discussions and link to them from the first post as needs arise. Please check the first post of the topic for the latest info.
Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Not sure how hard it is to just say "we will allow you to use a pencil and scratch paper/whiteboard provided you prove they are blank at the start of the exam to the proctor" or something like that...really having a hard time justifying they can't make this happen if GRE can

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
If they make changes now, wouldn’t it be unfair to the people who wrote it already... it makes me sceptical if they would actually do anything

GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 597 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey souvik101990 - mine didn't show up until *exactly* 30 minutes before :)
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VeritasPrepHailey wrote:
Hey souvik101990 - mine didn't show up until *exactly* 30 minutes before :)

I finished the system test. I still don't see my test in the future exams section in MBA.com. Not sure what I can do :(
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 597 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
souvik101990 - did you select the "register now or view appointment details" page on your "my account" homescreen? The selection to begin the exam should show up under the appointment details section.

Best of luck!!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29  ...  183