Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Columbia , Cornell, CMU , Yale
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V46
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: GMAT or GRE [#permalink]
I just gave my GRE recently.

If you intend to apply for MBA, it is highly recommended that you give the GMAT. The reason is - ALL MBA programs accept GMAT and SOME accept GRE & GMAT.

As far as preparation goes, for non-native English speakers appearing for GRE, the biggest challenge is the vocabulary which requires memorising 4000+ words. GRE Maths is easier than GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
from what i hear

If you better in verbal, take the GRE
If you better in math, take the GMAT
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
I have a 1310 GRE score. Even though I have already memorised all the 4000+ words ,I decided to give GMAT instead of retaking GRE.

The MSIS program at Kelley Business school is one of the programs I am interested in.
They accept GRE or GMAT.
But, GRE cut off is 1400
GMAT cut off is 620 ( Those who have 650+ have a good chance)

Now,considering the tough verbal, 1400 is a pretty high score to achieve.
But, from what I understand 620 or even 650 in GMAT is achievable with systematic preparation.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
The topics for GMAT verbal - SC , CR etc are interesting to study once you get the gist of it.

On a lighter note , I havent heard of any GRE candidate who found memorising 4000 words interesting :)

Originally posted by resh on 20 Aug 2010, 04:55.
Last edited by resh on 20 Aug 2010, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Although some schools are now taking GRE scores, it's still a relatively new tactic for bschools. I'd be wary about taking just the GRE, as it seems that many bschools measure a candidate's aptitude based on their GMAT score (among other things). If I were you, I'd stick with the GMAT.
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Relations
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

The previous posters have made some good points. I just wanted to add a few comparative notes for the two tests as well as add some thoughts about which to take:

- The tests overlap on the Reading Comprehension section, so no matter what, you'll still need to be able to read passages
- The GMAT math is definitely more intensive than the GRE math. GRE has more geometry, but there aren't any questions like the GMAT's Data Sufficiency (though you shouldn't underestimate the difficulty of Quantitative Comparison and Data Interpretation.)
- The GRE verbal is heavily focused on vocabulary. This might actually be helpful to somebody who doesn't want to deal with difficult sentence correction questions or critical reasoning. Neither of these appear on the GRE, (the GRE has sentence completion, which has more to do with vocab than grammar.)

In terms of which test to take, it has a lot to do with where you want to apply. While more and more schools accepting the GRE, you might want to make a list of where you want to apply, and see what they take. If you're absolutely positive you want to go to business school, the GMAT still does offer you more options in terms of where to apply. If you're considering other graduate programs, the GRE keeps your options more open in terms of the flexibility of different master's degrees. In terms of which test business schools take seriously, I have read in a number of places that business schools consider both tests equally, so there is no advantage or disadvantage to taking one test over the other.

In the end, you want to take what you feel most comfortable with, and what you think plays to your strengths.

Best wishes,
Caitlin Clay
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
IMO GMAT is an easier standardized test than GRE. GMAT Verbal is easier than GRE, but GMAT tests time management and a lot of people think that GRE Quant is easier, but i beg to differ. I think GRE just has a kinder grading scale.
GMAT Club Bot