Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep 1 : 680 ... devastated [#permalink]
Hey I took the GMATPREP 1 again--- scored a 750, Q 49 and V 42 ....
and found it surprising that not more than 2 questions were repeated in the Quant and Verbal sections combined. does the gmat prep have such a large pool of questions?.... I am also not sure whether i should be convinced with the score... had 10 incorrect in quant and 11 in verbal.
One thing is clear the GMATPREP has, in general a tougher pool of questions than the OG and the Kaplan Tests. I fell the MGMAT test are very similar to the GMATPREP.

Should i expect the actual gmat to be tougher than the GMATprep? my test date is 23rd of this month and plan to take the second gmatprep 3 days before the actual test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi jimmy, as far as I know and feel Gmat Prep is the most representative of the real gmat test. What your score from MGMAT? I think if it's also in 750 range you're good to get your target score. You can use this calculator here to help you predict you real score

https://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-calculator/
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
jimmy86 wrote:
Hey I took the GMATPREP 1 again--- scored a 750, Q 49 and V 42 ....
and found it surprising that not more than 2 questions were repeated in the Quant and Verbal sections combined. does the gmat prep have such a large pool of questions?.... I am also not sure whether i should be convinced with the score... had 10 incorrect in quant and 11 in verbal.
One thing is clear the GMATPREP has, in general a tougher pool of questions than the OG and the Kaplan Tests. I fell the MGMAT test are very similar to the GMATPREP.

Should i expect the actual gmat to be tougher than the GMATprep? my test date is 23rd of this month and plan to take the second gmatprep 3 days before the actual test.

The actual GMAT is a notch higher than the GMAT prep and OG questions, but the Quant of Manhattan tests is way too lengthy and hard compared to the actual GMAT.
If you manage your time well and with a bit of luck, you are on track to get your target score. All the best.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks a lot tarkaston ; praveen,

The problem is that my scores are varying drastically...
On Manhattan my scores vary from 680 to 710 ,
on the gmat prep-1 i got 680 on the first practice test and then 750 on the second one.
kaplan score varies from 680 to 740....
But i am consistently bad on DS and SC

So i am really not sure where i stand.
@ praveen : any tips for last minute improvements? DS/SC

Desperately need a score above 720
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jimmy86 wrote:
thanks a lot tarkaston ; praveen,

The problem is that my scores are varying drastically...
On Manhattan my scores vary from 680 to 710 ,
on the gmat prep-1 i got 680 on the first practice test and then 750 on the second one.
kaplan score varies from 680 to 740....
But i am consistently bad on DS and SC

So i am really not sure where i stand.
@ praveen : any tips for last minute improvements? DS/SC

Desperately need a score above 720

I don't know of any last minute tricks for SC, if I did, I myself wouldn't have landed up with a 680 and wouldn't be preparing for the second test right now. :)

DS, yes, there are very repeated type of DS on the GMAT. You gotta have a feel of that. By reading the question, you need to know what type of DS question they are referring to. DS is very easy to score, if you can decipher that. Try to work on that. An example of it, many times when the answer is C, you will have to laboriously solve using both I and II. As the calculations are a bit laborious and you might solve it wrongly and tend to go for E. So, if you figure out that that the question is a typical DS question requiring you to spend a tad few seconds more, but sure to land up with a C, you need to make sure you got the calculation right and go to the next question.
Initially, I was not doing good on DS, but once I started to pick the DS question type, my accuracy increased.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Its great that you were able to improve quant score ... SC does require focus too ... I am also doing average in sc ... atb
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
I took the GMAT last year twice... First try 600, second try 700. For the second try, I did the Kaplan in-class course which was instrumental in getting my score higher. However, I found that the Kaplan Verbal exercises were not very close to what was done in reality on the GMAT and that the Kaplan math exercises were easier than the ones on the GMAT. In the end, my Kaplan test reflected exactly my score on the GMAT, mind you the split was not exact (high math score, average verbal when in reality I got a high verbal and average math score).

You seem to be in that ballpark. Now, one tip I have to give you is don't put soooo much pressure on yourself that you crack the day of the test. If you get a 700, that is very good too! I got in at INSEAD with a 700 and good essays. I bet you that if you score anywhere from 680-800 any first rate B-school will definetly take a good look at your application.

I hope this helps...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
I took the GMAT last year twice... First try 600, second try 700. For the second try, I did the Kaplan in-class course which was instrumental in getting my score higher. However, I found that the Kaplan Verbal exercises were not very close to what was done in reality on the GMAT and that the Kaplan math exercises were easier than the ones on the GMAT. In the end, my Kaplan test reflected exactly my score on the GMAT, mind you the split was not exact (high math score, average verbal when in reality I got a high verbal and average math score).

You seem to be in that ballpark. Now, one tip I have to give you is don't put soooo much pressure on yourself that you crack the day of the test. If you get a 700, that is very good too! I got in at INSEAD with a 700 and good essays. I bet you that if you score anywhere from 680-800 any first rate B-school will definetly take a good look at your application.

I hope this helps...

Thank you so much cheekyzia

My score on the second Gmat Prep was 750(Q 49 , V 43).... so my score varied from 680 to 750 on the two prep`s and thats getting me worried.... i make stupid mistakes.... i think its the pressure of under performing after putting in so much time .... i think i just need to calm myself.... Thanks again for the advice...

Test in two days..... GMAT here i come... :twisted:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jimmy86 wrote:
Quote:

I hope this helps...

Thank you so much cheekyzia

My score on the second Gmat Prep was 750(Q 49 , V 43).... so my score varied from 680 to 750 on the two prep`s and thats getting me worried.... i make stupid mistakes.... i think its the pressure of under performing after putting in so much time .... i think i just need to calm myself.... Thanks again for the advice...

Test in two days..... GMAT here i come... :twisted:

Dude!!!!!how did the date go??? Could crack the girl or not??? :)

Give us some good news!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Screwed up big time..... 670 (Q45, V37) .... Retake on the 29th.... Well the Quant section was easy just like the gmat prep... and i had been doing well i dont know how i screwed up. Verbal was also ok.... i think i just need to work a bit on my timing and take it again with some confidence... I gotso nervous on the third quant question that i was stuck on it for like 7 mins... :-p.... So 29th of May it is... and i hope to invert the first two digits of my current score.... will be focusing on DS and SC thats were is screwed up. And you`ll be seeing a lot more of me on forum now ... tk
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jimmy86 wrote:
Screwed up big time..... 670 (Q45, V37) .... Retake on the 29th.... Well the Quant section was easy just like the gmat prep... and i had been doing well i dont know how i screwed up. Verbal was also ok.... i think i just need to work a bit on my timing and take it again with some confidence... I gotso nervous on the third quant question that i was stuck on it for like 7 mins... :-p.... So 29th of May it is... and i hope to invert the first two digits of my current score.... will be focusing on DS and SC thats were is screwed up. And you`ll be seeing a lot more of me on forum now ... tk

Its still a competetive score. Good luck with the preparation.

I am retaking on the 25th Jun. A bit rusty right now, so trying to get back to groove. Lets see whats in store for us in the second try. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mattapraveen wrote:
jimmy86 wrote:

Its still a competetive score. Good luck with the preparation.

I am retaking on the 25th Jun. A bit rusty right now, so trying to get back to groove. Lets see whats in store for us in the second try. :)

Ya its been almost a week since i have been off books... Got the AWA today.... a saddening score of 5.... will prepare for AWA too this time....
Best of luck for your prep....
hope we both are well above 700 in the next attempt....
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts