Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:00 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [10]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [3]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Well, that's very comforting. Thanks to both of you guys, Venksune and Paul. It is always good to know that I am not alone.

I totally agree to what you said Paul. Life is too precious to spend worrying. I definately intend to follow a much stricter routine for the preparation now. Rightnow, it is not going as I would want it to.

I guess GMAT is designed in a way such that people who take it seriously, have to really work hard, follow routine, make strategies etc. Is it not a first step to be a successful manager?? I am just slowly learning these things. As days go by, I will become wiser.

GMAT club has definately come to rescue. I just go to forums and read peoples' problems, worries, experiences and that definately lifts my spirit. I am just too happy that I found this website and friendly people like you guys.

Thanks again.

-buds
By the way.... I am BudweisAr... notice A. and I don't have kids just yet. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi... [#permalink]
Burnout does occur. One month before taking the test I got a score of 590 in a practice test...the Verbal was pathetic - i guess there were quite a few mistakes in the test too but i was shattered cause that was my lowest ever score.

So i left studying for 2-3 days and just had fun.... :-D After that - i focussed on Kap 800...made a schedule...and scores improved.

SO - just relax and then go at it again....ALL THE BEST
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Yeah, it happens, that too when you desperately want to get a good score.

I took a break and went on a 2 days road trip after 50 days of preperation. It was refreshing. When I came back, it took a couple of days to get back to the rythm, but was worth it.

Take it easy gentleman. Relax and concentrate. Keep smaller and acheivable goals and pat yourself each time when you are done.

I always said to myself, "If I get a great score, great. Else, I have 99 other ways to prove myself". :lol:

All said, lets give it what it requires - 100% discipline, 200% dedication and 300% hardwork. You can always relax back after the exam is done.

take care.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yes guys it is very important to take breaks in between the preparation,
it is very easy to get bored doin the same thing ,even i am looking forward to freedom from this bondage of GMAT prep.
believe me once u have prepared enough, take it easy or else u will be so tired that on the day of exam u wont be able to take it anymore ,this happened to me the 1st attempt but this time i am more relaxed and my practice scores are far better than last time,hopefully i will succeed this time

ash
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I agree with you. I took the my first exam last june and i studied on and off for a year. It's hard to find time to study when you're working. I got a really low score and now I've started to prepare again for the GMAT. I must say, preparing for the exam is extremely difficult both mentally and emotionally.

This is my current GMAT study schedule: I wake up at 5 am and study for about 2 hours then leave for work at around 8. Then I when I get home, I start studying again at 8pm to around 11pm. It's so draining!!! Although I do get to practice/ study more now compared to my study schedule a year ago when I would only study for about an hour weekdays and weekends.I can only hope that all my hard work pays off the second time around.

Anyhow, this club has helped alot. I usually log on 30 mins before I go to bed and check out the posts and new data. I consider going to this site as my break :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [4]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
As my friend Pat says, "at some point in preparing for the GMAT you reach the asymptotic point beyond which your performance can actually take a beating."

For me this point came when less than a week before the exam, i took a Kaplan Practice Test and got only a 590. The stress you feel is killer esp after all the preparation you've put in. And the worst part is that on analysing your performance there is so much that hits you that's so simple - it's just that

You were too worried about the time you had left
    You were not concentrating for that split second
    You didn't read the problem properly - you tried to nervously scan it and immediately put something down on paper
    You were worried about how this test score will relate with your actual GMAT score
    You get stuck on a particular problem, the solution to which seemed like a step away, 14 steps ago
    You worry about what your friends will think if you do badly, all of them know you're giving this exam, and you begin to wonder whether all the sacrifices of parties and outings you made were actually worth it
    You begin to wonder if this was all a big mistake and you should just stick with your plain-Jake workaday job and forget about that job that's waiting for you

It's perhaps at these times that you just need to regain control of your life and know that ultimately you're in command. The GMAT is just another exam (although it seems like you've been preparing for it since you were in your diapers) and that number you get isn't gonna tell you how intelligent you are or how well you're gonna do in life or even how nice a person you are. All it is, is one of the things you're gonna have to do to get into an MBA program. That's it.

So whenever the GMAT gets to you (and it will) - put away your books, go for a drive, spend time with your kids, watch a soppy movie but get some true R & R and DON'T think about the G-word. Remember your mental peace is most important. If you have a superior force of nature to pray to :-D nothing like it !

So hang in there, hang in here at gmatclub and keep rocking !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Phew!! [#permalink]
ThankGod I found this thread!! I have been down in the dumps for a few days now. My personal life has just added to my GMAT pressure. And together its becomming increasingly difficult to go on!! :cry:

I got a very low score the last time I took GMAT & was confident in cracking it this time. I scheduled the GMAT for Nov 4th & started looking at the books in Aug end. Somehow, I lost touch & restarted my work in Sept end. :!: And October proved to be really harsh on me as I had some unforeseen travel & assignments ... so, I lost more than a coupla weeks there. As I lost out on some precious time, I postponed my exam to Nov 24th :oops: :oops:

Now, though I have been trying to sit & rack my brains, I am slowing down tremendously!! I have lost the zeal to go ahead & see the GMAT as this big burden that I am just waiting to off-load :( Even though, my scores have considerably impoved from the last time I took GMAT, attimes, it takes a beating!! And I begin to wonder whether I was crazy to postpone the exam.. I shld have just kept quiet & taken the exam on 4th.

Guys, Need to go on... Also, been very irregular on the forum.. :( The challenges wear me out too easily... :oops:

Looks like I need some miracles to go on. :) Any pointers..

Cheers
Surreal
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Look for the INSPIRATION! [#permalink]
Kudos