GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 09:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Prep Courses

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Prep Courses  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 17:02
Hi Everyone!

I started studying for the GMAT in October, and am writing the exam on Saturday. Verbal is decent, however my quant score consistently is in the low 30's and I'd like to hit at LEAST the 40's to be at a 600 level score (currently I'm hitting 48-560 on all my exams).

I still feel like things aren't clicking, and as it's too late to cancel it, I'm going to just write the exam and see how it goes. I used Magoosh in my prep, the OG 2017 guides, and this forum primarily as my tools.

I'm already thinking ahead and likely will want to do a rewrite. I'd like to take a prep course, and drop the heft +$1000 price tag because I think I'd really benefit from that type of learning environment.

Wondering if anyone has taken one of these, and which you'd recommend. I've seen Manhattan Review, Oxford Seminars, Manhattan Elite and then universities offering their own programs (UBC or SFU as I'm based in Vancouver, CA).

Any input about this is appreciated.

Thanks!
Magoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT Prep Courses  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 13:37
Hi swiftie87,

To start, it's not clear whether you necessarily have to spend that type of money to hit your Score Goal - and seeing how you score on the Official GMAT will help to define your current skills, strengths and weaknesses, which we can use to plan out the next phase of your studies. To that end, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals (if you like, you can wait to respond until after you've taken the GMAT):

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) How did you score on the Official GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 17:02
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi swiftie87,

To start, it's not clear whether you necessarily have to spend that type of money to hit your Score Goal - and seeing how you score on the Official GMAT will help to define your current skills, strengths and weaknesses, which we can use to plan out the next phase of your studies. To that end, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals (if you like, you can wait to respond until after you've taken the GMAT):

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) How did you score on the Official GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thanks for the reply Rich! The official GMAT definitely didn't go as well as I'd hoped, but I guess the takeaway is that I kind of knew it wasn't going well the minute I started the quant questions. I wrote the exam in Quant ,Qual, IR, AWA order. I figured I'd get the Quant over with and focus hard on it right away and then dive into the rest. I also find after the Qual first, I tend to get pretty exhausted after all that reading. However, I may switch this up in the future since it didn't see to go that well for me...

1- Been studying since the beginning of October. Oct/Nov and half of December were regular studying. 5-6 days a week, 5-6 hours each session (realistically 4-5 hours each session).
2 - I used Magoosh lesson plans and the OG Guides. I spent the first month and a half going through all of the qual lessons on magoosh, and taking notes. I didn't need to cover much in qual at all really since I was getting most of the practice questions right (usually 7/10). I then started doing practice questions in November and December. Two things right off the bat: I should have immedietely started timing my questions (timing though wasn't at all an issue on any of my practice exams but it would have put me in that pressure mind set) and I should have done every single practice question that I had access too. Instead, I just did as many as I could but didn't really commit to doing EVERY one.
3- I scored 550 on my first CAT V36, Q29 and on my second V34, Q22.
4- On the actual GMAT I scored a very disappointing 410... I believe it was Q28, V32 (unfortunately I wanted to cancel that screen so quickly, I didnt manage to really focus on the important party which were the numbers). I'll double check this when I get home tonight to see where I wrote it down, but I remember looking at it and realizing that BOTH my scores were pretty even and that I didn't really do even semi-decent in either.
5- My goal score is 650.
6- I was hoping to apply before May, but if I need to take another year (if I miss the deadlines) I will do that.
7- Looking to apply to City University of London, NYU and University of Toronto.

The good news is that surprisingly I'm not feeling too discouraged. Even after the time I put in, I'm willing and wanting to put in more, work harder and do much better so I'm feeling pretty inspired. I am not the best at self-studying so I have debated taking a course (as mentioned) to just supplement more studying but also, I want to learn how to do the questions in a strategic manner. I think that's something I can definitely work on!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 20:46
Hi swiftie87,

From what you describe, you are willing to give yourself the necessary time to improve - which is good. Assuming that you actually scored 410 (a Q28/V32 would have led to a higher score than that), you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections to hit 650+ and all of that training will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. It might be that a classroom setting would be the best 'fit' for your circumstances, but before you make that decision, it's worth noting that most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, free classes, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them, then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

1) Did you have to 'rush' to finish any of the sections on Test Day (and guess on a bunch of questions)?
2) Going forward, are you planning to keep your general study routine (5-6 days a week)?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Prep Courses &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 20:46

GMAT Prep Courses

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap