GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 14:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

GMAT PREP TEST

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT PREP TEST  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 21:53
I appeared for GMAT Prep free Mock test II, before couple of days. I was going particularly slow in Verbal because I was left with some spare time and a poor score in the last mock. This time, when I reached question number 27, I had send 1.5 minutes per question. I already had 3 RC passages in the exam (9 questions). Moving slowly when I reached the 33rd question, I found an RC passage with just 2.5 minutes at hand.
I typically take 5 minutes to read a passage. I panicked and guessed in all 4 questions, only one of them turned out to be correct and last 3 were consecutive wrongs.
Though I had a decent score 730(Q49, V39), I wonder if the situation could have been handled in a better way
VP
VP
G
Re: GMAT PREP TEST  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 23:30
Well, the best way is to not let this situation recur in future. This seems to be quite feasible in your case, since you seem to have consciously gone slow in Verbal, in your latest mock.

If you do however, again land up in a similar situation in Verbal in future tests, leaving the questions might be a better strategy than to randomly mark them (might fetch you a couple of points; not drastically alter your score).

Best is to however, avoid getting into this situation.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 17:05
Hi singh8891,

So, how was your timing in the previous exams? Also, how were you scoring in your previous exams?

Your main issue here seems to be that you purposely went slow in the verbal section, right?? I understand that you may be gun-shy because of how things went with your previous exam; however, purposely slowing down probably is not the answer. On your next practice exam, if you have extra time, you need to be aware that another Reading Comprehension passage will show up.

On another note, panicking is a score-killer. So, any time you feel the urge to panic while taking the GMAT, you need to just continue to do your best to get correct answers, rather than compounding whatever issue is causing you to feel like panicking.

So, let’s see how things go with your next practice exam. Feel free to report back with any updates.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 19:10
singh8891 wrote:
Though I had a decent score 730(Q49, V39), I wonder if the situation could have been handled in a better way
That's a really good score! Take more tests, and focus on your timing. Keep track of the number of passages so that you're always aware how many are left.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 03:06
With just 2.5 mins left, I think guessing is the only tactic which can come to anyone’s rescue however as rightly advised by others, keeping a track of number of RCs you’ve encountered and managing pace accordingly definitely helps. Be ready to see 4 RCs on the real exam, hence if you have done only 3 by the time you’re on 30th qns, keep at least 10-12 mins reserved for the remaining 6 qns

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 02:10
Gmat Preparing and for doing admirably in the GMAT exam schools prepare you have what it takes to prevail in the business college classroom. Presently with online you can learn whenever it might suit you. Finish consider plans for 1-3 months.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT PREP TEST &nbs [#permalink] 03 Nov 2018, 02:10

GMAT PREP TEST

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap