GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 09:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

GMAT prep via apps vs study material/books

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT prep via apps vs study material/books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 06:26
Hi All,

I am planning to prepare for GMAT in a few months time while researching for the best study approach I came across both the self study approach via books like Manhattan etc.
As well as GMAT apps for iPad/iPhone some of which are free. So do these apps suffice and provide a solid preparation for GMAT compared to the test prep books and OG?? Kindly advise
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT prep via apps vs study material/books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 10:10
Hi rahulzlpr,

There are a variety of different ways that you can study for the GMAT and lots of different resources that you can use over the course of your studies. Until we define your particular strengths and weaknesses and determine how YOU best study, there's no way to say whether any of those resources will have a big impact on how you perform.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 10:19
rahulzlpr wrote:
Hi All,

I am planning to prepare for GMAT in a few months time while researching for the best study approach I came across both the self study approach via books like Manhattan etc.
As well as GMAT apps for iPad/iPhone some of which are free. So do these apps suffice and provide a solid preparation for GMAT compared to the test prep books and OG?? Kindly advise

Dear rahulzlpr,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, I would say: the official questions are the highest quality. The questions in the OG and the Verbal & Quant Guides are superb. The questions in the GMAT Prep software are superb. In fact, I would say: be careful---treat those computer-based GMAT Prep tests as precious! Don't waste one as a diagnostic! Instead, save both for the last full length tests you take before the real GMAT itself.

The MGMAT questions are very good, and I believe that Magoosh questions are as good. The quality varies wildly among other companies' materials, as does the quality of the free material.

Here's a list of the best books & resources:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/best-gmat ... rces-2015/
Here are some free study cards you can use on the web or download on your phone:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/flashcards?utm ... ampaign=RK
Here's a three-month study plan:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... beginners/

Finally, many people study for the GMAT, take practice tests until they find a score that feels good to them, and then these poor folks walk into the real GMAT and perform 50-100. It's very important to appraised of this possibility well beforehand. See this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/lower-on- ... ice-tests/

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask! Best of luck!
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 06:58
Hey Mike,

After going through some of the comments in the forums I have figured out some of the following material that will aid me in getting a good score (700+ and around 750). These are as follows:
a) GMAT OG REVIEW 2016
b) Manhattan SC guide
c) Aristotle SC,CR,RC Grails
d) Manhattan Quant guides
d) Manhattan advanced quant (please share your views on this)
e) For testing purpose using MGMATs, gmatpreps, gmatclub tests

Kindly let me know your views on this and how to go through these materials and if at all you could help me with a study plan of 3 months using these materials that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Rahul
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 10:14
rahulzlpr wrote:
Hey Mike,

After going through some of the comments in the forums I have figured out some of the following material that will aid me in getting a good score (700+ and around 750). These are as follows:
a) GMAT OG REVIEW 2016
b) Manhattan SC guide
c) Aristotle SC,CR,RC Grails
d) Manhattan Quant guides
d) Manhattan advanced quant (please share your views on this)
e) For testing purpose using MGMATs, gmatpreps, gmatclub tests

Kindly let me know your views on this and how to go through these materials and if at all you could help me with a study plan of 3 months using these materials that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Rahul

Dear Rahul,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, beware of thinking that GMAT materials of various kinds will be responsible for getting you to an elite score. YOU and you alone are responsible for getting an elite score. Think about it. Virtually everyone on GC and virtually everyone studying for the GMAT has access to all these materials, and yet, only about 10% reach 700 and only 2% reach 750. If you think that the materials automatically will get you there, you are mistaken. Getting into that elite territory involves a complete revolution in how you understand yourself and how your approach anything & everything in your life. Are you will willing to work harder than 98% of the population? Are you willing to be more dedicated, more committed, more organized, more diligent, more enthusiastic, more optimistic, more resilient, and more emotionally balanced than 98% of the population? Read what the most ambitious students on GC say they are doing: are you wiling to do all that and more? See this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/gmat-stud ... 0-or-more/

Now, having said that, some materials are better than others. ALL official materials are superb. Definitely get the OG 2016: the Verbal Review and Quant Review books are also superb. The GMAT Prep tests are the highest quality tests out there: save those until late in your study schedule. The MGMAT material is all very good. I would highly recommend their SC guide and all their Quant books, including the Advanced Quant. The MGMAT online CATs are also very good: Magoosh recommends them in our study schedules.

I think MGMAT and Magoosh offer the strongest verbal preparation. Magoosh has a large library of verbal lesson videos that cover every aspect of the test. I have also been impressed with a number of Veritas questions. I have seen many low quality questions from other sources on GC and that makes me very suspicious of their offerings.

Finally, I will caution you about the GC tests. For math, those tests are superb: the genius Bunuel is the curator of all the math, and through his brilliant guidance, the math questions on the GC tests are of exceptionally high quality. Unfortunately, there is no verbal analog of Bunuel, and correspondingly, the Verbal questions on the GC tests are of mixed quality: some of them are OK, but I have seen some very low quality verbal questions on those tests. I would recommend using them only for math.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 10:41
Hi rahulzlpr,

This is essentially a list of commonly-used books, but many Test Takers who take a 'book-heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. That may or may not happen to you, but we won't know until you get a bit further into your studies.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

1) Have you scheduled your Official GMAT yet?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT prep via apps vs study material/books &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jan 2016, 10:41

GMAT prep via apps vs study material/books

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap