Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Re: GMAT preparation for a working professional with high demanding job [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Zshan wrote:
Hello,

I would like to hear some suggestions in order to help me cope up with my GMAT preparations while attending to high demanding job. Also, I would like to point out that I find Quant to be a daunting challenge and with regards to Verbal, remembering the concepts of different topics at different times seems a bit tricky. Kindly provide suggestions to improve on the above mentioned areas. I plan on writing the exam in the next two months. Keeping in mind these points, what would be the best approach towards my prep, how many hours should I be dedicating, is there an easier way to learn and have a quality prep instead of spending huge amount of time on just practicing and relearning.

Best Regards

Hi,

I understand that it can be very hectic to balance the work life and preparation. It requires a proper planning and a lot of discipline. Allocating few hours a day, having clear deadlines and making sure to complete those tasks should be the ideal thing to do. Let me elaborate it to you.

Before suggesting you the study strategy, let me enlighten you a little as you are concerned about Quant and a few things in Verbal. The good thing about GMAT quant is it tests only specific types of questions from each topic. Knowing how to solve those types of questions will help you score well on GMAT quant. It is also important to learn the right methodology to solve the questions. Before you start your preparation, it is important to know that GMAT doesn’t test just the concepts but it tests the application of concepts. For example, to solve DS questions, you would need to do certain pre-analysis on the question stem and then jump into the statements. This would ideally help you solve the question under optimum time.

Coming to verbal, it is really important to use the right strategies to solve questions. Each module in Verbal (SC, CR and RC) has to be approached in a different way. Let me brief that to you.
  • to solve SC questions, you have to approach them from a meaning stand-point. Most students think that knowing grammatical rules would suffice, but what GMAT actually tests on SC is the ability to convey the right meaning without ambiguity.
  • To solve CR questions, you need to develop the ability to pre-think the answer before you jump into the solutions. For this, you need to understand the framework behind the question.
  • To solve RC questions, you need to have the right reading strategies so that you can read the passage in an inferential manner and draw proper inferences.

How should you plan your studies?

As I discussed earlier, knowing the types of questions and learning the right methodologies to solve them will help you get a good score on Quant. While doing so, it is important to identify the weaker areas in every topic and work on them. This will help you get a score of 50/51 on Quant.

As you are having trouble remembering concepts of Verbal, a traditional way of learning doesn’t suit you. I would suggest you to learn the concepts in a methodical way and solve questions from the topic on daily basis. As you keep applying the concepts and the methodologies on daily basis, it gradually starts becoming a habit and it is less likely that you will forget the concepts.

The importance of using a standard resource:

The need to learn the right methodology and the need to learn the concepts methodically can be addressed only when you use a resource which can help you do them effectively. The only method to make sure that you invest your time, money and effort in an effective way is to use a standard resource which teaches you the concepts, strategies and also helps you work on your weaker areas. Studying using OG or a few random resources might help you to solve GMAT like questions but I’m afraid that they won’t be able to help you much from a strategy perspective. You can refer to the following blog to understand the key points to consider while evaluating a course.

Link to the blog

The need for a personalized study plan:

As you are a working professional, a generic study plan wouldn’t suffice. You need something more personalized so that you can finish your preparation in two months. By personalized, I mean something which takes into account the number of hours you can dedicate in a week and creates a study plan based on that. It should have clear deadlines so that you can focus on finishing those tasks scheduled for the week. This will help you concentrate better.

The one stop solution for all your concerns:

Having said all these, I would recommend you to check the online course of GMATWhiz. It addresses all your concerns including the personalized study plan. To brief you a little about GMATWhiz:
  • It provides you with the best quality content and uses AI to access your performance level.
  • The concept boosters and the practice quizzes help you solve the GMAT like questions using the right methodology.
  • It identifies your weaker areas based on your performance and provides you with real time improvement modules so that you can work on them right away.

There are many more exciting features which you can experience by checking the free trial of the course. If you wish to discuss more about how to plan your studies or which course to choose, you can schedule a free consultation call using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT preparation for a working professional with high demanding job [#permalink]